Sherlock or Poirot?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Sherlock or Poirot?

Post by supraja_prasad »

My friend asked me this tough question - Sherlock or Poirot? And I am divided. What's your take? Why?
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Both 🙈
I would say Poirot because I read Agatha Christie's books first. Then again I would have to say Sherlock because when I did get to read About him there was this semblance that made me think they were not very different.
One just came before the other. May be I just like the fact that Poirot loves his moustache 😂
supraja_prasad
Currently Reading:

Post by supraja_prasad »

Oh, that moustache! I read Agatha's first as well, but it was a Marple short - Blue geranium, if I remember correctly and somehow 'Scandal in Bohemia' had something more. And hence started this debate and is still ongoing...
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
KCWolf
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KCWolf »

Both! :)
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
jadecalliope
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jadecalliope »

I rather enjoy both. I think I go through phases where one appeals more than the other.

While both are masterful deductive thinkers, some of their underlying traits can be rather different. Sherlock is much more...assertive and assured of his superiority at times. He's rather full of himself in many ways, but it is mostly because he values things differently than others. He is very much about the facts and not afraid to use, um, chemical enhancements

Poirot is much more subtle about how he goes about things. He rather enjoys being a gentleman, just one who doesn't get fooled. His manners are often much more impeccable. He also doesn't focus as much on the physicality of the crimes and is never one to examine a crime scene. He relies more on intuition and human behavior to deduce the culprit.

So, I think it really depends on what you are more interested in, the physical details or the psychological profile.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

jadecalliope wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 16:56 I rather enjoy both. I think I go through phases where one appeals more than the other.

While both are masterful deductive thinkers, some of their underlying traits can be rather different. Sherlock is much more...assertive and assured of his superiority at times. He's rather full of himself in many ways, but it is mostly because he values things differently than others. He is very much about the facts and not afraid to use, um, chemical enhancements

Poirot is much more subtle about how he goes about things. He rather enjoys being a gentleman, just one who doesn't get fooled. His manners are often much more impeccable. He also doesn't focus as much on the physicality of the crimes and is never one to examine a crime scene. He relies more on intuition and human behavior to deduce the culprit.

So, I think it really depends on what you are more interested in, the physical details or the psychological profile.
Great analysis! Poirot really enjoys being a gentleman and one who doesn't get fooled. I totally agree with you! It depends on what you are more interested in.
supraja_prasad
Currently Reading:

Post by supraja_prasad »

jadecalliope wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 16:56 I rather enjoy both. I think I go through phases where one appeals more than the other.

I totally agree with you. Yes, sometimes, erm, more often than not Sherlock has had me feel like 'is he even human?' with his brand of superiority while Poirot gives emotions their due when they so deserve. Glad someone else relates. And, oh... Happy reading!
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
pjslocum
Currently Reading:

Post by pjslocum »

I am amiss in what I do: I have not read Poirot or Christie, but maybe once long ago. I know, for shame. I do love Holmes though.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Poirot. It was Agatha Christie who made me love mystery novels (and films). But Poirot is probably my favourite character she's ever created. (Sorry Holmes you're fab too!)
Brave Knight Robin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Brave Knight Robin »

I love both detectives equally, but I think I enjoy reading Sherlock Holmes stories more than Poirot stories because I have a fondness for Watson. Their partnership, however you choose to interpret it, is very endearing and adds a little something more to the stories.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I love them both equally, but i'll look at it like this: who would I want to help me solve a case? And to that I would say Poirot, mainly because I think he would just be easier to get along with, and I find his demeanor and character more calming than Sherlock. Though I absolutely adore Sherlock and adore them both very much, I'd rather be partnered with Poirot. Sherlock would be too much for me, I wouldn't be able to keep up, so props to Watson for doing what I could never.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

leareiler wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 20:39 I love them both equally, but i'll look at it like this: who would I want to help me solve a case? And to that I would say Poirot, mainly because I think he would just be easier to get along with, and I find his demeanor and character more calming than Sherlock. Though I absolutely adore Sherlock and adore them both very much, I'd rather be partnered with Poirot. Sherlock would be too much for me, I wouldn't be able to keep up, so props to Watson for doing what I could never.
I feel the same way. I could never be Watson to Sherlock. I do feel that I could hang around Poirot if he was solving a case.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Sherlock Holmes. I never could stand Poirot. Even Agatha Christie referred to Periot as, and I quote,

"... an insufferable, detestable, bombastic, tiresome, ego-centric little creep".
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Poirot. I started reading Agatha Christie when I was in primary school still, and have reread the entire series several times.
I enjoy Sherlock Holmes as well but somehow he doesn't put the same smile on my face.
mialanca17
Currently Reading: Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mialanca17.html
Latest Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song by Brian Kaufman

Post by mialanca17 »

I'd have to say Sherlock - there is something much more captivating in the writing of Arthur Conan Doyle than in that of Agatha Christie, in my opinion.
While both have complex and interesting storylines, I think Doyle does a better job of making a story interesting from the very beginning and I think that's due to the fact that the character of Sherlock Holmes is interesting by itself. Even if the story gets slow or if the mystery is not developed in the best way, the eccentricity of the character makes up for it. Poirot, to me, is just his shadow - he feels like an imitation.
That being said I do enjoy reading about both, it's just that I find Holmes to be a much more distinct character.

Return to “Classic Books”