THINGS FALL APART

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Re: THINGS FALL APART

Post by Julez »

amelillo2 wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 13:52 When I read this book in high school I absolutely hated Okonkwo. I thought he was a cruel, misogynistic jerk who deserved no empathy.

However, I reread it again about a year ago, before having to teach it to my first group of high schoolers. This time I went in with an open mind, and tried my best to read through a cultural lens. While I still disagree with many of Okonkwo’s actions (even his friend feels Okonkwo should not have been the one to kill Ikemefuna), I believe he’s a product of his environment, who deserves a little understanding. He grew up learning that masculinity and agricultural success was everything in his culture, and saw how his father was treated when he didn’t live up to the set standards. He wanted to be well-respected and prove that he could be successful without the aid of his father. So, in the end, he did what he believed he needed to do. When the Christians invaded (and in not the kindest of manners), he resisted to protect his culture. After all, why should he believe these violent strangers know the “correct” way to live, when all his life he had been taught otherwise?
This was my experience too. I guess we have grown up 😁 This is why we see Okonkwo in a different light.
Kate pat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Kate pat »

Okonkwo is strong and brave he have the spirit of anger which he can't control, which affected him at the end.
Ellie16ethan19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ellie16ethan19 »

This book is a good book.
I read it during my high school days of literature and reading it again confirms that. It teaches us a great deal including the famous belief that the apple does not fall too far from the tree. Chinua was able to depict that.
Also shows us that the way we raise our young has a big impact on their behavior and decisions in life.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Kate pat wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 02:16 Okonkwo is strong and brave he have the spirit of anger which he can't control, which affected him at the end.
Exactly 👌 His anger did him in
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Ellie16ethan19 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 07:22 This book is a good book.
I read it during my high school days of literature and reading it again confirms that. It teaches us a great deal including the famous belief that the apple does not fall too far from the tree. Chinua was able to depict that.
Also shows us that the way we raise our young has a big impact on their behavior and decisions in life.
I agree with your assessment. His experience while growing up had a major impact on his thought process. In a way, he was a slave to people's views.
Maryann Sena
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maryann Sena »

I have read this book and the most complete review that can be estimated from me is that it is a realistic and strong communication on life.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Maryann Sena wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 08:46 I have read this book and the most complete review that can be estimated from me is that it is a realistic and strong communication on life.
Indeed, it is realistic, and even in this present day, a lot of menfolk still struggle to cover any form of softness with an overly hard exterior.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

This book is great. Okonkwo sees his world falling apart due to so many unexpected events happening at the same time. He is a man torn by his desire to prove his masculinity and his genuine fatherly man. Culture and his character tears him apart. There is clash when he mishandles his relationship with Ikemefuna. What a fatal stroke! There is a theme of discrimination based on gender. Such sadness and misconceptions.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

Chinua Achebe is an author I have great respect for and things fall apart is a very good read. Although, Okonkwo seems too strict for my liking but I felt pity for him towards the end. He thinks showing any sign of weakness will make him similar to his father but I think every man has his own personality and decide whatever he wants to be. Good or Bad
Yananisai Gavi
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yananisai-gavi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Yananisai Gavi »

Masculinity can be an advantage or it can be toxic. In this case Okonkwo brings his own downfall by his pride and toxic masculinity characteristics. The society however played a huge role that shaped Okonkwo into the disaster of a man he later on became.
dimpho k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by dimpho k »

Laughs,this one takes me back to my high school days🤭everytime when my relationship/friendship gets complicated I would go and read that book and be like “literally ”
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I read the book when I was in Secondary School for a competition, and I think that Okonkwo was solely responsible for his actions. Yes, his father gave him a reason to overcompensate, but the murders which led to his demise were murders where he would not have been judged by anyone if he did not participate. In fact, he was admonished not to participate in them.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Okwonko was afraid of being afraid. The fear of becoming like his father became his undoing. The biggest lesson i learnt in the book was you can make something of yourself despite where you come from
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Okwonko was afraid of being afraid. The fear of becoming like his father became his undoing. The biggest lesson i learnt in the book was you can make something of yourself despite where you come from
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

Though he wanted to be nothing like his late father, Okonkwo took it too far. I still deem him fit to be called a hero. If everyone was like Okonkwo maybe slavery won't have happened

Return to “Classic Books”