THINGS FALL APART

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sisaacs5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: THINGS FALL APART

Post by Sisaacs5 »

I read this book in high school, as a challenge from my AP Eng Lit teacher and it quickly topped my shelves as a favorite.
Reading it again as an adult brought a new respect and love for the work.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I haven't read it in a long time. It was nice to gain new perspective through adult eyes.
Sisaacs5 wrote: โ†‘05 May 2020, 19:15 I read this book in high school, as a challenge from my AP Eng Lit teacher and it quickly topped my shelves as a favorite.
Reading it again as an adult brought a new respect and love for the work.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

Julez wrote: โ†‘03 Feb 2020, 10:15 I decided to reread Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and it seems like I'm reading with new eyes. The opening chapter drew me into the action immediately. The author is a definite pro. Have you reread this book? What do you think of Okonkwo? Is his late father responsible for his actions or him? I really would like to know your views ๐Ÿ˜Š
This is among the greatest African literature books that I've come across so far. Things Fall Apart for Okonkwo!
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

No, I have not read it. I an thinking about reading it though. Can you tell me a little about this book? Which type of readers will like this the most? What do you honestly think about this book?
Thank you for helping me in advance!
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I'll take your word for it. It sounds familiar, but I can't place it.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Sumansona1344 wrote: โ†‘19 May 2020, 06:48 No, I have not read it. I an thinking about reading it though. Can you tell me a little about this book? Which type of readers will like this the most? What do you honestly think about this book?
Hi, Suman ๐Ÿ˜Š
"Things Fall Apart" focuses on an Igbo tribe in Nigeria and what life was like before colonization. It kind of leaves you with a wistful feeling because colonization brought positive changes but it also robbed the people of their tradition and identity. You can read it and make your own summation. One thing is certain; you'll definitely enjoy the read.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: โ†‘19 May 2020, 16:56 I'll take your word for it. It sounds familiar, but I can't place it.
You may have read it in the past. It's an old book. It'll definitely give you something to mull over.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

moowshiri wrote: โ†‘17 May 2020, 18:36
Julez wrote: โ†‘03 Feb 2020, 10:15 I decided to reread Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and it seems like I'm reading with new eyes. The opening chapter drew me into the action immediately. The author is a definite pro. Have you reread this book? What do you think of Okonkwo? Is his late father responsible for his actions or him? I really would like to know your views ๐Ÿ˜Š
This is among the greatest African literature books that I've come across so far. Things Fall Apart for Okonkwo!
I concur ๐Ÿ˜
I noticed that you read "The Fox" too. I enjoyed it and will definitely read your review.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

Julez wrote: โ†‘20 May 2020, 05:54
moowshiri wrote: โ†‘17 May 2020, 18:36
I concur ๐Ÿ˜
I noticed that you read "The Fox" too. I enjoyed it and will definitely read your review.
Thanks in advance. I would be very glad if you stopped by. Stay safe.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Julez wrote: โ†‘20 May 2020, 05:47
Sumansona1344 wrote: โ†‘19 May 2020, 06:48 No, I have not read it. I an thinking about reading it though. Can you tell me a little about this book? Which type of readers will like this the most? What do you honestly think about this book?
Hi, Suman ๐Ÿ˜Š
"Things Fall Apart" focuses on an Igbo tribe in Nigeria and what life was like before colonization. It kind of leaves you with a wistful feeling because colonization brought positive changes but it also robbed the people of their tradition and identity. You can read it and make your own summation. One thing is certain; you'll definitely enjoy the read.
Thank you for your wonderful response!
angiezhuu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by angiezhuu »

I read Things Fall Apart and I enjoyed it very much! It took me a couple times to fully understand the book on another level. At the time it was published it was a ground breaking book for not many people have written about the African tribe Igbo. It provided a different point of view on colonization and it was so rich in culture. It was a great example of fragile masculinity with a fallen hero. I think you'll enjoy this book!
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Earle Remington »

I've only read Things Fall Apart once, but I love it. I adore Okonkwo as the main character because he is complicated. He makes virtuous decisions alongside bad ones. There are moments when I'm rooting for him, and others when I wish he would just stop. This duality makes him feel like such a genuine example of humanity. Humanity that isn't all good or all evil but rather a complex blend of the two.

I don't think I can pin full responsibility for all of Okonkwoโ€™s actions onto his father. Yes, his father has a tremendous influence on his identity and personality, which in turn translates into his actions. That being said, his father is not the only thing that impacts Okonkwo. I believe that everyone is responsible for their actions, but also that it is very important to recognize what effects those actions. :)
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

When I read this book in high school I absolutely hated Okonkwo. I thought he was a cruel, misogynistic jerk who deserved no empathy.

However, I reread it again about a year ago, before having to teach it to my first group of high schoolers. This time I went in with an open mind, and tried my best to read through a cultural lens. While I still disagree with many of Okonkwoโ€™s actions (even his friend feels Okonkwo should not have been the one to kill Ikemefuna), I believe heโ€™s a product of his environment, who deserves a little understanding. He grew up learning that masculinity and agricultural success was everything in his culture, and saw how his father was treated when he didnโ€™t live up to the set standards. He wanted to be well-respected and prove that he could be successful without the aid of his father. So, in the end, he did what he believed he needed to do. When the Christians invaded (and in not the kindest of manners), he resisted to protect his culture. After all, why should he believe these violent strangers know the โ€œcorrectโ€ way to live, when all his life he had been taught otherwise?
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

angiezhuu wrote: โ†‘10 Jun 2020, 13:11 I read Things Fall Apart and I enjoyed it very much! It took me a couple times to fully understand the book on another level. At the time it was published it was a ground breaking book for not many people have written about the African tribe Igbo. It provided a different point of view on colonization and it was so rich in culture. It was a great example of fragile masculinity with a fallen hero. I think you'll enjoy this book!
Even in this day and age, it still holds it's place amidst the thriving African literature industry.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

:techie-studyingbrown:
Earle Remington wrote: โ†‘12 Jun 2020, 14:56 I've only read Things Fall Apart once, but I love it. I adore Okonkwo as the main character because he is complicated. He makes virtuous decisions alongside bad ones. There are moments when I'm rooting for him, and others when I wish he would just stop. This duality makes him feel like such a genuine example of humanity. Humanity that isn't all good or all evil but rather a complex blend of the two.

I don't think I can pin full responsibility for all of Okonkwoโ€™s actions onto his father. Yes, his father has a tremendous influence on his identity and personality, which in turn translates into his actions. That being said, his father is not the only thing that impacts Okonkwo. I believe that everyone is responsible for their actions, but also that it is very important to recognize what effects those actions. :)
Yes, I had the same experience while reading too ๐Ÿ˜€

I also agree with your opinion. He's responsible for his actions but his dad was a huge trigger.

Return to โ€œClassic Booksโ€