The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Being Maggie
Bookshelf Size: 45
Publishing Contest Votes: 31

Re: The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

Post by Being Maggie »

I completely agree. I picked up The Three Musketeers when I was fifteen, buying it because I wanted to try a classic novel, and I had a feeling it would be right up my alley. It's now arguably my favourite novel. I love how I was constantly on the edge of my seat, and how every emotion I felt, I felt so strongly!! I cried, I laughed, I gasped, and that's something that's pretty hard to find in modern day literature. He was descriptive and elegant in his writing, and extremely enchanting and thrilling. Absolutely amazing. I recommend this book to EVERYONE. It's a perfect mix of action, adventure, mystery and romance. Love, love, love.
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

Please do not hate me friends, as I did not not enjoy this book nor do I recommend it. Here is my review

Did you know there were 4 Musketeers? In the book The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas we find d’Artagnan in Paris on a pursuit to become a Musketeer. This pursuit takes him on an adventure with the legendary Musketeers: Porthos, Athos, and Aramis. On their adventure they are trying to overcome Cardinal Richelieu.

This book is a written classic and I would say is safe for teenagers and adults to read.

I had an extremely hard time finishing this book. It didn’t capture my attention. Every time I sat down to read it, I fell asleep. You may wonder why I finished it then. Once again my 2015 reading challenge influenced me to read this book. This book was to complete “a book originally written in a different language.”

This past Saturday I spent watching Once Upon A Time on Netflix. If you haven’t watched this show, I highly recommend it. In the show there are many times we see the Villains become Heroes or vice versa and it reminded me of this story. Many times I found myself wondering who were the villains and who were the heroes in the story. Let’s be honest the Three Musketeers were not very nice. One won’t let his servant ever speak while another is having an affair with a married woman and criticizes her for the gifts she gives him. The other man can’t decide whether he wants to have an affair or to be a priest and is constantly pinching his own ears to make them more attractive. They must not make a lot of money because they are always mooching off other people. They also decide to show bravery and eat breakfast in the middle of the battle to show they are not afraid of the english. What? Where did I get the idea that these guys were heroes? I don’t know. Maybe from seeing different holiday versions of this book in movies or in cartoons? I always pictured The Three Musketeers as good men, but this book made me see them in a very different light. They did not seem like heroes at all in the book. You will notice I still gave the book 2 stars even though it disappointed me as there were characters that interested me. Mostly the characters that were “villains” who in my mind may have been innocent after all.

I rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I've read this one many times... love love love it! will read it again at some point here.
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I read the book in college then watched the movie a few years after that. This is one of my favorite books of all time.
bekkilyn
Currently Reading: A Modern Reader's Guide to Dante's The Divine Comedy
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by bekkilyn »

I have been reading through the entire Three Musketeers series! Three Musketeers is the first and Man in the Iron Mask is the last, with a number of other books in between. Currently, I'm nearing the end of Louse de la Valliere, which is chock full of court intrigue. I had no idea that Three Musketeers was the first book in a series until I wanted to read Man in the Iron Mask and found out I should read all these other books first if I didn't want to start at the end. Love Dumas. :)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm currently reading this, and enjoying it quite a bit :)
It's going to take some time to read, however :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Graverobber wrote:I'm currently reading this, and enjoying it quite a bit :)
It's going to take some time to read, however :lol:
I am glad you enjoy it. I have read it in my childhood and loved it. Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Yafa1822
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yafa1822.html
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin

Post by Yafa1822 »

I had trouble starting this book at first. But once I got really started, I didn't stop 'til I finished. The name of Milady can stop hearts and make sweat break out in this house.
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin
MaroBenipayo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MaroBenipayo »

Honestly, I haven't read the book yet but I had watched it the nth time! It's one of my favorites
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Thanks to everyone on this thread! I absolutely loved The Count of Monte Cristo so I really wanted to read this one. But I seemed to run into a lot of negative reviews. This thread renewed my faith in it, I will be giving it a try!
Eclectica
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eclectica »

One of the rare books with legendary characters :- D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, Aramis, Milady de Winter !!! Classic narrative with charm, romance, adventure.
saint 71094
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-71094.html

Post by saint 71094 »

adventure at its best .i have become so infatuated with this book that i have named some of my passwaords d'artagnan.the situations of france in those days were portrayed perfectly. the plot is also amazing never leaning on a character more than needed and balancing the justice done perfectly . this is an awesome book read it twice and i still wont mind reading it again
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I have never read the books. From what I read then I will definitely consider getting it. I only watched the cartoons when I was younger and movies when I was older.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I read this book when I was young. I loved adventure then and this book ample of it. I followed it up with The Man in the Iron Mask.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

i'm really torn about reading the book tbh, ive seen loads of film and tv versions, and enjoyed them, so theoretically i should enjoy the book, but i think to read it now i might be too old

Return to “Classic Books”