Classic or modern?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Modern books or classics?

1. Modern
31%
2. Classic
69%

Total votes: 80

asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Classic or modern?

Post by asteel18 »

I like both. I feel like the classics shaped my childhood and some of them I reread. There are some modern books that are excellent. I definitely feel like authors in the past had to work so much harder and modern writers can easily publish whatever they want. And it's not always good.
-Amy
Desirae Murray
Currently Reading: The Ping-Pong Champion of Chinatown
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Desirae Murray »

Majority of all modern literature and popular culture is based upon classic novels.
We are now at a point where Pride and Prejudice's Regency era is set during a zombie apocalypse; along with a film title to boot.
Last edited by Desirae Murray on 15 Oct 2021, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lomyders
Currently Reading: Multiple streams of internet income
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lomyders.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Lomyders »

Inasmuch as I love the "historical" feel of the reading classics. Modern does it for me. Characters are more relatable and diction in use is contemporary.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

I believe that classic books are creations that are difficult to replicate and have value that will last no matter how much time passes. Just reading a book transports you to another world.
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think that classical books had all went through a time test. They all have stayed very actual, and equally as important now as they were before; it proves their universal nature. If a book deserved a right to be called classic, it already means something.
Suzanne O
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzanne-o.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzanne O »

Classics all the way. Nothing beats that feeling of being transported to a simpler time. Pride and Prejudice just warms my heart every single time. The Little House series were definitely the highlight of my childhood. I don't know if Enid Blytons count as classics, but they automatically send me back to my happy place.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think classic books are one of the best genres because that book was written better. Also, Enid Byton was one of my favorite Authors because the story was really good and the ending sometimes will be unexpected.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I can't choose between the two. They are both important.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Classic books has this thing on me that I can't explain. Modern books are good but classic books has this thing that would make you love it more the more read
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Definitely classics. In the classics you can feel the literature and depth of the writing. They were very linguistic and the writing had a concrete plot and interesting twists. As for the modern. O feel like author's now are focusing more on easy writing style. Alot of fiction is surfacing and the literature is dying they are killing it slowly. I feel like anyone who write two words and publish his book is calling himself a writer. The title is being taken too lightly.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

There was definitely something in the air of classical writers. Modern writing just lacks that certain something that captivates one as much as classics do. Those timeless opening lines, the sarcastic wit: it's amazing. Maybe we find classics so fascinating because they hold a certain mystery: they are remnants of a time past that we desperately wish we could live in but cannot.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

Classic literature and classic books are important to me because they provide a window into other cultures and historical eras that we, the people of today, may not have the opportunity to glimpse into. I would also add that reading classic novels has enhanced my overall writing skills because writers from a bygone age had distinct writing styles. Though both kinds of books have distinct qualities, I can never overshadow Austen, Bronte sisters, Virginia Woolf or Dicken' splendid works. They always have my heart.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

I would always go for classics. It gives you a nostalgic feeling when you reread it.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Natural Guard by Michael L. Chapla

Post by Isaac Oh »

Asides some of the weird and strange words used in classics, I think the Classics beat any modern book. Classic books had a greater originality.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

Go with classics. You will inevitably stumble across modern books by the armful. This generation’s way of accessing information makes it easy to explore both. Once you can compare pieces of literature across the ages, you will be able to establish a mental bookcase of books that you know you like (and don’t like). It makes it easier to find your individual written voice (not just for authors) and appreciate the value of words on a page.

Return to “Classic Books”