Classic or modern?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Modern books or classics?

1. Modern
31%
2. Classic
69%

Total votes: 80

Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Classic or modern?

Post by Thea Frederick »

Do you think that it is more important to have and read classic literature of modern? If you had to pick one and get rid of the other altogether which would it be?
By classic I mean authors like Austen, Dickens, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Twain, Lewis, Tolkien, Brontë, etc.

By modern I essentially mean books written in the past twenty years.

Personally, I would go classic all the way. I think that classic book are often written better, more thought provoking, well planned, and more intriguing. Not to mention, better for your mind and vocabulary.

Now, I would say that each one has their great books and their poor ones and there are certainly some gems to be found in the world of modern writing but I think that they are few and far between.

That is my opinion, but I would really like to hear yours :-)
-Thea M. Frederick
ellie_rue
Currently Reading: Gilead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-rue.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by ellie_rue »

I totally agree! There's just something about classic books that modern books can't quite achieve. I usually say anything written in the past 20 years is off limits, sorta like cheese, let it age first. Some of my personal favorite authors are Fitzgerald and Kerouac. Even Bradbury. There's something about reading a classic book that makes your head really spin. Maybe it's the language or just a way of thinking but i think classics all the way.
-Ellie
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

I have to give some appreciation to modern books, considering I want to be a writer as well, but the majority of my favorite authors are from the classics. I love being transported to another time and the storytelling in the classics is just much more intriguing.
Thea Frederick
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I agree with you on both points. I am also an aspiring writer and to think someone would just dismiss my writing as uninteresting or superficial would be discouraging, but I also agree with you in the transportation and intrigue of classic books. Not to mention, it’s much easier to find a good classic than a good modern.
-Thea M. Frederick
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Dickens, Twain, Austen, and Bronte are some of the best authors that we will ever have the opportunity to read. The classic books are still a huge part of our society as I feel they always should be. I believe there are many modern books that may turn into classics, but it seems as though the stories are not as deep as some of the older ones.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

diamonnd wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 16:13 I have to give some appreciation to modern books, considering I want to be a writer as well, but the majority of my favorite authors are from the classics. I love being transported to another time and the storytelling in the classics is just much more intriguing.
I feel the same way and I’m not a writer.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Why not both? Tolkien was my favorite so far but there are also really good modern books. I suspect that authors like Charlie Sheldon will eventually be considered side by side with Twain or Dickens.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I love some of the classic books however I feel that I relate more to the modern ones and many of the issues and attitudes in the classics have become outdated.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I'll pick the modern books. I think it is important to remember that a lot, if not all the classics that we know today were not considered classic back then. At least most of the time until their death. Its sort of like comparing which movie is better then the other, neither would exist if the one that came before it never existed at all. They are linked by influence. The reason I choose modern is due to relatability, its only a matter of a time before a modern classic is written and will join the classics of the past.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I would choose the classics over the modern books any day. The classics transcend time and have morals that bring value to any generation. The moderns are fun to read, but never left a lasting impression like the classics did.
Thea Frederick

Post by Thea Frederick »

cookiedough wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 14:15 I would choose the classics over the modern books any day. The classics transcend time and have morals that bring value to any generation. The moderns are fun to read, but never left a lasting impression like the classics did.
I totally agree with you! I have never found modern books to compare to the greats of the past!
-Thea M. Frederick
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I believe classics depict the best authors of our times. They are the essence of creativity. I don't mind reading modern books but I believe that to be an avid reader one must at least read a couple of classics.
almeidabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeidabel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by almeidabel »

I couldn't express how important is modern literature but the classics has my heart in a way I cannot explain. I still remember how amazing it was for me to read Pride and Prejudice for the first time.
Undertaker5squad
Currently Reading: Henry the Sixth
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-undertaker5squad.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by Undertaker5squad »

HanElizabeth397 wrote: 13 May 2020, 12:23 I love some of the classic books however I feel that I relate more to the modern ones and many of the issues and attitudes in the classics have become outdated.
Yeah I see your point but I would like to add that often we can find the answers to our issues in the classics because they didn't have the same biases and prejudices that we do simply because they lived in a different time. Often their age is right where ours is wrong (and vice versa). So they correct each other.
AGreatUsername
Currently Reading: Walks of Life
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AGreatUsername »

I could not vote in the poll, this is like Sophie's Choice for me! To give up an entire era of literature is to lose a piece of our history, culture, even our humanity. BOTH are important, crucial even, to society.

Return to “Classic Books”