The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
La Stilla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath

Post by La Stilla »

Same. When I read specifically this novel, or Murakami's "Sputnik Sweetheart" I feel them deep down as I experience it myself. Very strange & beautiful books. Hello from North Macedonia, sorry for my bad english.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

chooper454 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 15:10 Plath has a unique way of creating a specific atmosphere throughout the entire book-not blatantly mentioned, but always lurking between the lines. The novel as a whole really personifies the title itself- I could feel the claustrophobic aesthetic on every page. And Plath writes Greenwood so effortlessly and fluidly, having her personify the atmosphere I have mentioned. Struggling, but not seeing any way out. So relatable to young women, even today.
I love how you express what I wanted to say.
I also sensed how Slyvia felt claustrophobic in her writing.
It greatly affected me in a way that I can feel her impending doom in the end.
There are parts where I am overwhelmed by how difficult it was for her to function as a human being.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Meredith Troiano wrote: 27 Jul 2014, 12:21 Of course, the fact that she shouldn't be recommending it meant I had to read it right away!
:lol2: :ditto:

I am an avid reader of banned books, and there nothing that makes my eyes twinkle other than hearing that I should not read a certain book!
For years, I've been wanting to read The Bell Jar but didn't prioritize it until last year when I had enough time to read during the quarantine. I did not regret reading it, and I highly recommend the book.
(With caution, of course! :wink: )
One of my favorites.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Classic Books”