least favorite classics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: least favorite classics

Post by DATo »

Though I have attempted re-reads (cover to cover) of all three I have never liked The Great Gatsby, The Catcher In The Rye, or Franny and Zooey.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Annette S
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-s.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Annette S »

My least favorite classic book for me was Great Expectations. I tried reading this book once when I was in high school. I just could not get into the book or the characters.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

The Tale of two cities is one book I still don't understand to date.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

Tom Sawyer would be my least favourite.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 10 May 2021, 04:18 I never understood what was so amazing about 'The Great Gatsby' by Scott Fitzgerald. The novel was very short, it was less than one hour reading. It was quite an annoying story to me, with the Gatsby's character repeating his 'old sport' slogan over and over, and the whole plot was just not realistic. I know it's maybe crossing the line, but did anyone see the 'Family Guy' episode where they made 'The Great Gatsby's' parody? Because I think they summed it up pretty well. It was, in my opinion, shallow story with unprobable characters and short-cut plot with no point whatsoever.
Exactly! I feel the same way. Gatsby is my least favorite.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

a Tale of two Cities by Dickens
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I felt this book A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens so slow and i got bored while reading. I couldn't even finish it.
Kaylan10+
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Long Winter
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylan10.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Kaylan10+ »

I really hated Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men. I just got the creepy crawlies reading both of those!
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

The classic I didn't really like is romeo and Juliet, Wuthering heights and I just don't get the hype around them. They are depressing especially romeo and Juliet as the tragedy in the end to me was not worth it.
Kristalynn0823
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Bookstore Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 731

Post by Kristalynn0823 »

Katherine Powell-Polkey wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 16:11
Anna Bookowski wrote: 10 May 2021, 04:18 I never understood what was so amazing about 'The Great Gatsby' by Scott Fitzgerald. The novel was very short, it was less than one hour reading. It was quite an annoying story to me, with the Gatsby's character repeating his 'old sport' slogan over and over, and the whole plot was just not realistic. I know it's maybe crossing the line, but did anyone see the 'Family Guy' episode where they made 'The Great Gatsby's' parody? Because I think they summed it up pretty well. It was, in my opinion, shallow story with unprobable characters and short-cut plot with no point whatsoever.
Exactly! I feel the same way. Gatsby is my least favorite.
I read The Great Gatsby in high school for an assignment and I hated it. I just recently re-read it and it wasn't the worst thing that I read, but it also wasn't the best. I agree it was way too short and everything ended so abruptly.
Bookswithing
Currently Reading: The Half Brother
Bookshelf Size: 1222

Post by Bookswithing »

On board with everyone on the Tale of Two Cities train. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Had to read it in Year 9 lit, and am still in recovery decades later. I just didn't care. Heroic sacrifice, "'it is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done before" ? Pfft! Insipid pretty woman you'd lay your life down for? Oh mate, you can do better than that. Actually, I've changed my mind: you're both awful and deserve each other. My favourite character is Madame Defarge, and always will be. At least 14 year old me could understand her motives.

I felt for our teacher as he was convinced I'd love it. Probably the only time he got me wrong, as I still enjoy a lot of books he introduced me to throughout the six years he taught me. This set texts, and some additional books he suggested as side reading. For example, he suggested that as I was enjoying Lord of the Rings, I may care for the Icelandic sagas. He was right. :)

I don't dislike all Dickens. I quite enjoyed Great Expectations, and appreciated it all the more when I read Peter Carey's Jack Maggs, which riffs off the character Magwitch to retell Great Expectations from his perspective. Marvellous book. Our Mutual Friend was terrific, too.

Now I'm wondering if anyone's retold Tale of Two Cities from Madame Defarge's perspective: emerging feminism in the French Revolution, addressing societal patriarchy and the oppression of women of all classes. Kind of hope so, and am off to Google...
Dani Strayer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-strayer.html
Latest Review: St Augustine's Sin by Joe Baker

Post by Dani Strayer »

The Picture of Dorian Gray is easily one of my least favourite classics. I have immense respect for Oscar Wilde but dear god I could barely get through 4 chapters of that book. All of the characters that I had encountered were irritating and the plot was so slow, I couldn't keep engaged.
Zeyad Waleed
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Zeyad Waleed »

les Miserables is overrated. it contains unnecessary scenes and conversations ( There's an entire
couple of pages dedicated to describe the sewage system. I wasted my time except for some emotional episodes which wasn't worth the thousand somethins. The book is not totally garbage. However، If you gonna try victor Hugo, start with The Notre- Dam and then decide.
Mary Bircher
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mary Bircher »

Reading through this list is so interesting! Some of these are my personal favorites! But a lot of these I've heard so many complaints about that I have to wonder why they're still required reading in many schools. I have only heard negative things about The Red Badge of Courage, it's crazy to me that it's considered so important. Personally, I've never been able to get into Russian authors like Tolstoy or Dostoevsky.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Anything that was written by a Russian author. I can't explain it, I just open it, and immediately get bored.

Return to “Classic Books”