least favorite classics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

least favorite classics

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Hello everyone, what are some your least favorite classic books?

Mine has to be The Red Badge of Courage. This was perhaps one of my least favorite books I had to read for class! I was bored with the story and the movie. It was just one long description about some solider who I had no reason to talk about, I just, fell asleep. I honestly feel asleep while reading it.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oh my, this has to be Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I studied it 3x, and I honestly couldn't get through it all 3 times; it was long, rambling, and all the other similar adjectives you could think of (I'm glad my teachers don't see this, although some of them would be the first to say it was boring). XD So until now, the truth is, I'm not entirely sure what's going on, although of course, I agree it has its own literary merits. I just...don't know how to appreciate them. LOL!
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Personally, mine would be 'Great Expectations'. I found the main character really unlikable and because of that I just couldn't connect to the book at all. I left it a couple of years and tried again because I wanted to like it but I just couldn't.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

I really hated The Scarlet Letter - I kept expecting it to be some sort of ahead-of-its-time novel that sympathised with the plight of women, yet instead it was actually quite chauvinistic. Also, nothing really happened in the novel! It probably could have been summarised in 20 pages, and just as much would have been said.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

I never understood what was so amazing about 'The Great Gatsby' by Scott Fitzgerald. The novel was very short, it was less than one hour reading. It was quite an annoying story to me, with the Gatsby's character repeating his 'old sport' slogan over and over, and the whole plot was just not realistic. I know it's maybe crossing the line, but did anyone see the 'Family Guy' episode where they made 'The Great Gatsby's' parody? Because I think they summed it up pretty well. It was, in my opinion, shallow story with unprobable characters and short-cut plot with no point whatsoever.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Romeo and Juliet. I hate that book because I had to read multiple different versions while I was in school. I do not get this book at all. What I see is Romeo just doing it because it goes against their families not for he loves her.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I was supposed to read Gulliver's Travels or Adventures of Tom Sawyer for school. I haven't been able to complete Tom Sawyer yet. I always give up after a few chapters. So maybe I don't like it.

Another one that I didn't understand after reading was the Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. But I'm planning to re-read it.
thepensivist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thepensivist.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Post by thepensivist »

I honestly just did not love A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. I felt the build-up was super slow, all just for Sydney to martyr himself for a woman who may or may not love him.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I'm just not able to finish “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. I know, it comes under top 10 classic books and have a big fandom. But for me, this book is even hard to pick. 70 pages into the book still nothing exciting happens to keep me engaging. For me it was kinda boring, no offense.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

gen_g wrote: 07 May 2020, 10:54 Oh my, this has to be Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I studied it 3x, and I honestly couldn't get through it all 3 times; it was long, rambling, and all the other similar adjectives you could think of (I'm glad my teachers don't see this, although some of them would be the first to say it was boring). XD So until now, the truth is, I'm not entirely sure what's going on, although of course, I agree it has its own literary merits. I just...don't know how to appreciate them. LOL!
We were just talking about this in our reading group. Our ringleader of sorts shared some tidbits from pop culture that were inspired by this story.

A Tale of Two Cities was bearable thanks to the rivalry between two of my teachers revolving around the book's movie adaptations. Can't remember if we read The Great Gatsby or another story by Fitzgerald; but it was interesting whichever one it was.

For me, my least favorite classic would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Many have stated that it's a great literary work but I could not get through the book. The story dragged at an alarmingly slow pace for me and I couldn't bring myself to push through it all.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

When I was younger, I could not understand nor did I like 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. My fist time reading, I was bored endlessly and only finished because I hated leaving a book unfinished. Years later, I reread it and it was a much better experience and I really enjoyed it and had so many questions after.

Now, This side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald has to be my least favorite. I just can't get through it and maybe I will try it again another time but as of now it's tucked away somewhere in my bookshelf
ephemerai
Currently Reading: The End of Policing
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ephemerai.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by ephemerai »

For me, it was Catcher in the Rye & Lord of the Flies. I never related to books focused on rude, egotistical teenage boys, and I never really understood why I was forced to read them. I'd take ten slow plots over one fast-paced book with no likable characters.
Katie Olson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-olson.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Katie Olson »

I could not stand "A Brave New World" or "The Handmaid's Tale". Both offered scenarios, concepts and ideas, and dystopias that conflicted with my morals and personal beliefs, especially in the relationships department. I could not relate well with these stories, which made them very hard to read. I've had to read both for multiple classes through my years in college. I still detest them to this day!
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 13:27 I'm just not able to finish “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. I know, it comes under top 10 classic books and have a big fandom. But for me, this book is even hard to pick. 70 pages into the book still nothing exciting happens to keep me engaging. For me it was kinda boring, no offense.
I couldn't agree more. "To Kill a Mockinbird" is overrated.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I really did not like Wuthering Heights. I tried reading it but it doesn't really kept me going until I felt the need to just drop it.

Return to “Classic Books”