Classics: Why We Should Encourage Children to Read Them

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pranithayennawar
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 8

Re: Classics: Why We Should Encourage Children to Read Them

Post by Pranithayennawar »

Absolutely true.! Classics are evergreen. They are a treasure and treat while reading. But some books may get quite boring. Everything should be prioritised according to one's taste and fond. If some doesn't like classics that's completely fine. Fiza pathan is accurately correct that kids should read classics for better shape of living. Classics..a peaceful word for the chaotic world.But times are changing ,world's moving fast we can't relay on classics all the time modern problem needs modern solutions unless they are harmful.
Abdo Sonbol
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 32
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Abdo Sonbol »

I love those classic books and the experiences they provide and the way to solve crises, and I invite people to benefit from them, not only children, but everyone to learn how to deal with such crises that they read about in books and avoid mistakes in reality.
Dunstan Brooks
Favorite Author: Langston Hughes
Favorite Book: The Ways of White Folks
Currently Reading: The Measure of a Man
Bookshelf Size: 798
fav_author_id: 2732

Post by Dunstan Brooks »

They are considered classics for very good reasons. That is why we should encourage children (or anyone, actually, to read them) One of my professors in college had his own definition of a classic: He considered any work of art, literature or anything that is still relevant to us now, hundreds or more years later to be a "Classic."
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I fell in love with reading books due to the classics. I remember that in school, our library teacher would always issue us classic abridged books. They were not too bulky and thus I could complete one within few days. Since we were not allowed to issue another book before 7 days, I used to borrow my classmates' library cards and get 2-3 books in a week and read them.

They helped me a lot as my English improved. The stories always taught me something or the other. There were several which made me cry too like Black Beauty and Oliver Twist. But books like The Three Musketeers, Around the World in 180 days, etc brightened my mood.

I travelled and experienced a lot through classics and I recommend that children should begin their reading journey with abridged versions of classics.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I agree that classics should be encouraged to be read more. I always try to keep a couple of classic books in the daycare library for the kids to pick up and read. I will be picking up the book by Fiza Pathan as I think it would be good to have.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

We should definitely encourage our children to read more of the classics. When I was growing up, I got books from family members and traded books with friends and now I try to do the same with my little sister. It's important to note that we have to take into consideration the child and their likes to see what classic they would best appreciate and enjoy. Sometimes we would read aloud and even take turns just to get it interactive. 'Animal Farm' was an interesting read.

I do hope the younger generation gets exposed to some these masterpieces
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

Classics are informative and creative. I have read classics since I was a child and I was lucky to use some of the classics in my literature class. This books provide an overthought in life and direction in life. Everyone may not enjoy classics though.
Ella3007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ella3007 »

classic is educative,im encouraging my daughter to read more of classic books
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I think that the problem would be if we introduced classics to children is that it will seem boring to the children, especially if they will spend time analyzing what the words meant (since the writing style is too old and therefore many children would not understand it quickly) instead of just enjoying reading the book.
Yasser Gewayfel
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul

Post by Yasser Gewayfel »

One of the greatest journeys that everyone should take is the journey of self-discovery and search
Melanie Botha 1
Currently Reading: Ruler's of the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-botha-1.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by Melanie Botha 1 »

I am so pleased that a young teacher takes such joy from the classics in literature and encourages her students to do the same. I was enthralled by our public and schools library from a young age, even becoming a library monitor at school. It gives me great pleasure to hear that this is still continueing today even in our modern online culture. :tiphat:
MARJORIE obeso
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marjorie-obeso.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MARJORIE obeso »

the classic book remains in high demand even now we have an ebook to download classic book being a part of them, besides, in different schools, the literacy week book is always celebrating that it enhances more how the classic book was important in our education, besides even if some students got complaining so bored when they get along it the way of reading they got a chance to have interested the themes towards the classic book is still exist and important.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Yes i think today generation needs it the most. Living in this world of social media , children's mind are quite uncertain. Classic help in character development, it eventually builds self confidence and i think that's why the youth needs to read it.
In my personal opinion, schools should encourage reading novels and should have a special class to discuss these books.
:tiphat:
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

A good written classical novel would make a child have early love for reading. The Alchemist changed my perspective about books.
Jon+h
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jon+h »

She would always explain that despite the changes in society and the changes in people's interest the themes were still relevant and in a lot of current literature. Essentially, a blend of new and old seems to help students realize that classics

Return to “Classic Books”