Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

I actually used this story in my dissertation in university - I looked at Existentialist themes in Alice in Wonderland, and retroactively applied Sartre's principles and ideas in this work. It was such a fun experience, I loved studying themes of free will, existentialism, and responsibility with Alice and her adventures in mind. Wonderland and the characters within do display Existentialist traits, and it was really fascinating to see these ideas play out decades before Sartre expounded on them in a more academic, philosophical sense, proving that these ideas are timeless and that Lewis Carroll was an ingenious storyteller.
Anjali Kushwah 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-kushwah-1.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Anjali Kushwah 1 »

This book has been my favourite when I was a kid . It was fascinating how that girl like me had a weird but adventurous dream.
Omeri Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Omeri Jeremiah »

One can get lost in reading this book. Nice review
Nadiya N S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Nadiya N S »

I love this book! This is how obsessed I am with it...I used to work in an Alice in Wonderland themed shop in Brighton! I also played the Queen of Hearts in an independent short film which is going around the festivals at the moment.. :P
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I have never like this book. It never sat well with me. I understand the many levels of the writing in this book and appreciate the beauty of the book. But is not one I would willingly pick up to read. Especially where I find there are so many others that are better.
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

I have read this book as an adult and I found it so interesting. I also loved the style in which the book was written. It is captivating and engaging to the end. Everyone should read this book, and if possible, as a child.
ephemerai
Currently Reading: The End of Policing
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ephemerai.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by ephemerai »

I read Alice In Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass as a child and liked them well enough, but I was much more drawn to the animated film (1951, not the modern remake!). There was a period in my teens when I watched the film over and over. The visual element really brought the story to life for me in a way the words alone did not. My edition of the books did have the original illustrations, but they didn't look "right" to me -- the illustrated Alice, in particular, didn't match my mental picture of her.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by MysticSpade »

Alice is a TIMELESS CLASSIC. I know there is some controversy and drug references but I love, love, love the whimsy, off-kilter, and diversity of this story. SO MUCH that I have tattoos of the original illustrations. I love how all of the movies incorporate and portray the original characters.
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

I didn't read the book while I was a child, but had the opportunity to read when I was an adult. The book was worth the hype it received and can't be termed boring. Good book
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

I just finished this. I had tried to read it several times before, but was unable to get past the first few pages. I found an annotated edition a few months ago, and it took a while but I did finish it this time. The annotations were very helpful with understanding all the historical and cultural references, especially all the poem/song parodies Carroll did- I didn't realize until I got the annotated edition that they were parodies, I thought they were all pieces he wrote as originals.
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

This was the only classic that I didnt like, even the movie was too excentrique for med
doley
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doley.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by doley »

Great movie. Never read the book though.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

kickwriter+ wrote: 03 Oct 2013, 17:18 Great quick little logline of this book. You really only used the first sentence and truely summed up the essence of the book. Always impressed when someone can resist using too many detail and get right to the basics. And big kudos on not mentioning the movie-version.
...indeed, my most inherent sentiment is that a movie has the unforgiving gift of ruining a good book
Youssra Halil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Youssra Halil »

Alice in wonderland is one of my favorite books it's full of imatination
Faye Abacajan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faye Abacajan »

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a fast-paced, well-organized story about Alice's adventures. It begins with Alice going into the rabbit hole and falling into the interior of the Earth, the place of the strange adventures, on the first chapter. The writer uses a combination of clear language and storyline structure to help youngsters navigate the novel, as well as sharp-witted jokes and complex thinking exercises to challenge both young and elderly readers. The language is frequently as far removed from reality as the characters in the novel. Despite its bizarre appearance, Alice's core logic stays intact till the climax: it tries to demonstrate the contradictory nature of the mature speech by using seeming juvenile naiveté.

Return to “Classic Books”