Agatha Christie vs Arthur Conan Doyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Agatha Christie or Arthur Conan Doyle

Agatha Christie
57%
Arthur Conan Doyle
43%

Total votes: 54

Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Re: Agatha Christie vs Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I am hands down a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fan all the way. TV shows, movies do not compare to his written work. Agatha Christie is a modern writer and her writing is easily transferred to tv.
Alie Lowery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Alie Lowery »

Firstly, I want to say that everyone definitely has a right to their own opinion. Secondly, I don’t want to offend anyone; I am just stating my own opinion. Let’s begin…
I love Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None” (I put it in quotation marks since my device isn’t letting me underline or italicize it). I think it’s amazing. I read it and was shocked by the ending. Then, several years later, I re-read it, believing I remembered who the real murderer was. By the time I got to the end, I realized that I had remembered wrongly, and was, again, shocked at the revealing of the murderer. However, I absolutely despite, hate, and abhor Poirot stories. In contrast, I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories. I think it’s amazing, and I have reread the books multiple times (I have only re-read Agatha Christie’s “And Then There We’re None” twice). I literally catalogued stuff about the Sherlock Holmes stories on my latest re-read. To be fair, I have only read a couple of short stories by Agatha Christie, and the one novel. And I have read (and re-read) all of Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books and short stories. In conclusion, I think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the better author, but I am interested in reading more of Agatha Christie’s books since I enjoyed “And Then There Were None” so much, and because I think she is a great author (just not, in my opinion, as good as Doyle). So, any suggestions for Agatha Christie books?
Alie Lowery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Alie Lowery »

:lol2: I forgot to add this in my last response. I rarely like movies or TV shows that are based off of books that I love. So I have never watched any of the Sherlock Holmes movies/TV shows. Although, I have seen clips and scenes (and I hate them because they ruin the characters! They do so much wrong! I’m sure other book lovers understand). Additionally, I have not had the option to watch any Agatha Christie movies/TV shows, but I hear they are good (although I might hate them too if they ruin her books). :snooty: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray: :lol2:
Maria_maria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Maria_maria »

I can't really express my opinion because it's a deep question actually. Both of them had charisma and their own characteristic. it's not fear to compare them. Conan focused mainly on his character Sherlock and still did a GREAT job. While Agatha writing was more expanded, she didn't really "own" a character. Both of them were great writers.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I am violently ill disposed to the Hercule Poirot character - I will choose Sherlock every time.

I have not read a lot of Christie, but based upon what I have read I would have to say I prefer Doyle.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Despite Arther being an accomplished writer, but I would still prefer the works of Agatha.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I really like Agatha Christie's books because when I read one of them I found out that the case was really complex and even when you were thought of solving it. Sometimes, the ending was really unexpected.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I like both, but I think that nobody surpasses Agatha Christie. Her plots are superb and I always enjoy reading her books.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Sarah Eliza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-eliza.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Sarah Eliza »

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I greatly prefer Doyle far over Christie. I agree, Christie does focus more on the storytelling aspect while Doyle expounds on the actual deduction and crime-solving. Also, Christie's works tend to have a much darker theme consistently, and her view of religion is unsettling for me. Doyle's writing style is much more straightforward and concise, which is the style I prefer. Sherlock Holmes is the definitive detective for me, however, I have great admiration for Hercule Poirot as well.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I respect what both of them has done. But I would choose Agatha Christy
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Both of them were great writers and were able to mesmerise their readers with their work. When we have to compare between two almost equal things then it becomes a difficult thing to give a verdict on that.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

I agree that comparisons are odious, and each author is brilliant in their own right. Arthur Conan Doyle gave us the most beloved Sherlock Holmes, who was modeled after a Scottish surgeon. I read every single Sherlock Holmes book in school and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I could never guess how the story would end, which further proved just how amazing SH was. Agatha Christie, on the other hand, developed the character of Poirot based on Sherlock Holmes himself! I really enjoy reading Agatha's books because her mysteries are so much more accessible: one can follow along and attempt to guess whodunit. I hardly ever guess correctly, but it's great fun all the same!
Abdullh1 q

Post by Abdullh1 q »

I agree that the comparisons are hateful, and each author is wonderful in their own right. Arthur Conan Doyle introduced us to the most lovable Sherlock Holmes, which was modeled after a Scottish surgeon. I read every Sherlock Holmes book in school and thoroughly enjoyed it. I could never have guessed how the story would end, which also proved how awesome SH is. Agatha Christie, on the other hand, developed the character of Poirot based on Sherlock Holmes himself! I really enjoy reading Agatha books because her puzzles are easily accessible and the book is very, very cool
Abdullh1 q

Post by Abdullh1 q »

I totally agree with that, Agatha Christie is more attractive to the reader. It better engages you in crimes, and makes you a part of the investigation. I can't understand Doyle beyond his artistic bravery...a man fell off a bike and locked his father in his room, to kill himself etc.. in the end no crime was committed or a gem in the goose crop was foun
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html

Post by Sia P »

This is literally the same question as "Jane Austen vs Charlotte Bronte", yet again it makes me wanna say that I can't decide between the two. I have read both authors' books, which are excellent as always. But, in fact, I find myself more drawn to Christie. Her ability to craft a plausible storyline, which is indeed complicated but also so fun to explore (as by the eyes of a reader) is virtually unrivalled among crime authors.

Return to “Classic Books”