Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chongjasmine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Post by chongjasmine »

I really enjoy Dracula. Love the story.
amandezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by amandezie »

I always caution people when I recommend this book. I personally love it and have two copies because I had one and then found a really gorgeous one I realized I couldn't live without. However, it can be a VERY. SLOW. READ. As you have said. The issue with older books/classics like that is that they often have very little exciting plot for SEVERAL chapters, sometimes not even until halfway through the book. They also tend to have a lot of description of what can be seemingly banal things (and even that is SLOW smh) but personally I feel that many classics keep the great descriptions without going into all of those boring details (for the most part). Dracula is one of those for me but other classics I'd recommend that do this well and that I'd say live up to the hype would be Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. Honestly, The Narrative of John Smith as well although arguably much less put together and one of the more problematic of Conan Doyle's writings. Back to Dracula though I would say that if you can push through to the more exciting bits, it's well worth it. But if you get halfway through and still aren't feeling it, I'd put it down and try something else. Halfway through is a lot of leeway to give a book to get exciting but with a classic like Dracula I'd really recommend.
Jenny Buddy
Currently Reading: Ox Travels
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenny-buddy.html
Latest Review: Nine Months by Tania Tomyn

Post by Jenny Buddy »

I love to read books set in or about countries I am about to go to or have already been. I read Dracula because I was going to Romania but the story was only set there for the first few chapters, then it went to England where I am from 😂😂
There’s a lot I loved about it but it was very slow and repetitive at times. The professer’s long rambling speeches made it difficult to read for me.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

For anyone interested in reading Dracula for the first time, I highly recommend signing up to the Dracula Daily substack email list! Reading this book in chronological order as the characters write their letters & diary entries is really interesting, & I found it to be less confusing than following the book with it's wild chronology. I do agree on it being slow on the action, though, but I guess that's just an example of how books have evolved over the past two centuries.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

One of my all-time favourites has always been this book. Though I've read it multiple times over the years, I always seem to find something new to enjoy about it. Originally, though, what drew me in were the images I would see as I read.
Andrew Darlington
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I have seen the movie but i have not read the book. I didn't even know it has a book. I will obviously be looking out for it.

Return to “Classic Books”