The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Post by lolashoes »

I have yet to read this short story but I've heard it's an utterly sad tale and that there's a deep and on point representation of selfishness and love in this story. I'm looking forward to reading this.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

The first time I read this was with some children and at the end I was sad and some of them were either sad, confused or both. The main thing I loved was how the tree kept giving, serving and loving the child even though it was being used. A short book with huge ideas.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

My mom was an instructional aide in a first grade teachers class, I will call the teacher Mrs. Sally. Mrs. Sally worked non-stop gave all that she had for her family and students. One night, after working late in her class she was killed in a car accident. At her funeral, this book was read. Even though I was young, this book always carried more significance. It is deep and moving. I cry almost every time I read it.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I agree that when I first read the book as a young child I did not understand it, but as time wore on I began to appreciate the message of the book. I was also sad about how much the tree gave to the man only to receive nothing in return.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I cant recall if I read this or not, but I did read Where the Sidewalk Ends and liked that one. Would others recommend going back to this book if I liked WtSE?
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

My six-year-old son just read this to me this morning. He just kept asking me, "Why did he do that? Why did he do that?" It seemed crazy to him that the Boy kept 'hurting' the Tree. I always felt the story was sad, but I still love it. The fact that my son read the entire book and only had a couple of words he needed help on (while other children in his class are still reading sight words) made me proud enough. :)
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

This is one of my favorite stories, and a departure for Silverstein from his silly poems. Some would say the tree represents the foolishness of those who give without expecting anything in return. But I think it’s beautiful the way the tree lives only for the happiness of the man. I see it as a picture of parenthood.
A_lopez1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by A_lopez1 »

I first heard this story in elementary. I fell in love instantly! I understood that it was about love because love was something I never felt as a young child. I only wished it was me and that tree! This is my number 1 book to recommend. Yes, a child’s book, simple with a great message!
Miok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Miok »

When I was young, My brother gave to me. He was a pastor and I read again and again. Whole my life I could not forget the pictures and the tree and man. It was very strong feeling that the tree was Jesus when I go through the junery of my Christian life. It was never ending love if mum as well. It who is the perfect love.
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Earle Remington »

I don't remember when I first read The Giving Tree. It's one of those books that I can't remember not having read, because my family had it sitting on the shelf before I was born. It was probably read to me before I read it myself. The ending is heartbreaking, because past mistakes can't be rewritten. The tree, once tall and healthy, has been reduced to a stump, and the man has been worn out by life. Over the years I've heard different interpretations, but one pattern in them that bothers me is the blame that is placed primarily on the tree. Yes, she sacrifices herself for the man, and it's important to recognize that self-sacrifice is not love. Love doesn't ask for self-destruction. This is the element of the book that I see being criticized the most: that the tree damaged herself. I've always heard it phrased like this, something she does to herself. Is it the tree's fault?
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley

Post by Catie139 »

I read this book every year to my 3rd-grade students. Even though it's sad, it had a positive impact on both my students and myself. We spoke of the things we could do to help others, without expecting something in return.

Incidentally, I bought a Japanese edition when I was living in Japan. I used it to help me learn how to read the language. Unfortunately, it was stolen during my move back to the States. :(
Mollylovesliteracy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollylovesliteracy.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Mollylovesliteracy »

It is fascinating to me that this short book can impact readers of all different ages. When reading "The Giving Tree" or reflecting on it, the story changes based on what relationship you ascribe to the tree and the boy. For example, you could read and interpret their relationship to be a metaphor for a parent and a child. You could also interpret their relationship to be a symbol of man's relationship with God. There are so many different ways to view and interpret the relationship between the tree and the boy. When the reader finds different ways to look at the novel, they will find a deeper story and metaphor than they originally thought.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

lemming wrote: 27 Nov 2013, 01:03 My first read of "The Giving Tree" was at 30, and my first reaction wasn't any particular interpretation but a feeling of sadness. [...] if I had to pin down what I found sad about the story, it is not so much the tree's self-sacrifice in the name of love as the fact that the sacrifices do not even result in the human becoming happy - the futility of offering love to someone who is not satisfied in themselves.
Not exactly uplifting, but it's written in language simple enough for a very young person to read and be saddened by, which maximizes the chance of the message sinking in.
A relationship can be like this; it doesn't have to be.
This is the first book I read this year (the day I turned 28).
Like you, I also felt a pang of sadness about the relationship between the tree and the boy.
Was he really thankful for the tree's help in the end? If so, maybe it's the only redeeming factor he had.
This book shows how some people are willing to sacrifice those who care and provide for them just to get what they want. It reveals the extent to how the boy is spoiled rotten by the tree.
I think the story would have ended well if the tree set healthy boundaries with the boy. It's not what the author wants to portray, though.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Princewill Uchenna
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

This is such a wonderful book to read at different points in your life. As you said you first read it when you were 30, but then there are very young children who read it as well.
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine

Post by Julie Basil »

Although this is considered a classic story for children, I too find it to be very sad. I would not want to teach my child to give so much of himself to someone that he is diminished, particularly if that person is not willing to give to him in return.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Classic Books”