Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post by Ryan »

I too read this in secondary school, but I never paid much attention to it. From what I remember it was very well written, but I haven't any personal attachment to it. I do plan to re-read it eventually, though.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Hermes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hermes »

It is one of those great books that you are forced to read when young and love to read again as an adult. Must admit though that I preferred Grapes of Wrath.
MelDenton

Post by MelDenton »

I had to read this book for Literature class, and I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. It was really enjoyable to read, and the characters were very likeable or at least enjoyable to read about.
Poe_vs_King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poe-vs-king.html

Post by Poe_vs_King »

Spoilers Maybe? I loved this book through and through, plus the movie really drove home the characters and brought them to life. I'll even confess that this was the first book that made me cry. We all know that Lennie scene at the end, as I read it I started tearing up and by the end I was balling tears like a waterfall. I was in high school at this time so my mother chimed in on me crying in my room, crashed through the door, saw me and asked "what the #$%* are they making you read in your class!!!". That was one of my saddest and funniest nights of my life, I was very confused about how to feel.
Cassie85
Favorite Author: cannot narrow it to
Favorite Book: too many
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie85.html

Post by Cassie85 »

I loved this book. It was an intriguing read and kept you captivated throughout the whole story. I'm very grateful to my English teacher for her careful selection of our reading criteria, as it nurtured my love for reading. This was definitely one of the many many books that I purchased after reading it in class. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I read this book in the 10th grade. I enjoyed it, but my favorite part of this book was how strongly my classmates reacted to it. I went to a small, rural high school with many low performing students. This was the only book that I saw really reach many of them and I have always greatly appreciated that. It was for this very reason that my teacher chose it over The Great Gatsby and it was a great call! It’s pretty cool that a book can bring an entire room of proud 15 year old students shamelessly to tears.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

When reading this book in school, the only thing my teacher talked about in terms of themes were "friendship" "out-siders" and "the American dream". So I was wondering what other themes people had taken from the book?
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

This is my favorite book.

It's one of very few books that I have read more than once. I don't even remember how many times I have read it now.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

Ok here is one of the weirdos that says no way. It was an interesting book and I can see why many people enjoy the book, it's just for me that it was kind of boring and I found myself struggling to keep moving forward in the book. I'm sure if I reread it in like 10 years I'll probably enjoy it, but for now it is not my cup of tea.
keisha_jc
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keisha-jc.html
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton

Post by keisha_jc »

The book was most certainly deserved some tears! It was both sad and dramatic. I began the book by falling in love with Lenny. Something about him appealed to me and made me feel the largest amount of sympathy for him. He was like a child in my eyes. The ending of the book absolutely broke my heart. Not only did I not expect the ending, but it was simply depressing to think about. The book shockingly was a great read!
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton
teacher33
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Currently Reading: The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher33.html
Reading Device: B00JKCH4V2
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by teacher33 »

This was the first Steinbeck novel I read and it was well worth the read. I honestly cried at the end, not thinking it would end the way it did. I agree there is irony and symbolism running throughout. Steinbeck seems to have a talent for taking the depravity of man and entwining it into an artful work of fiction.
rkrobart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0700">When Jesus Wept</a>
Currently Reading: C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 423
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkrobart.html
Latest Review: "Remembering Me" by Michael J Giannini

Post by rkrobart »

I recently read Of Mice and Men after reading an autobiography of Tony Danza, who taught it during his one year of teaching English in an inner city high school. I found it to be surprisingly vulgar, but as many of you have found, intriguingly deep and emotional. In a less "classic" book, I probably would have put it down because of the subject matter, but as a secondary educator, I felt I had to push through it in order to know what all the hubbub was about. I'm glad I did, but I'll be hesitant to recommend it to others in my more conservative educational setting.
Latest Review: "Remembering Me" by Michael J Giannini
Hope15
Favorite Author: indrajit garai
Currently Reading: The Old Man and the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 5477

Post by Hope15 »

It was the first novel I read from Steinbeck, and I did read afterwards 'TheGrapes of wrath' ... I appreciate his writing style and the stories ..
coffeeholic33
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by coffeeholic33 »

This was such a heart-wrenching story. George and Lennie are two friends struggling to eek out a living in Depression-era California. I had hoped there would be a happy ending at the end of the short novel, and George and Lennie would have that farm they always talked about and live happily ever after. However, this is John Steinbeck we're talking about. I won't spoil the end for anyone who hasn't read the book, but I will say have plenty of tissues close by.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I really enjoyed reading this book in high school, but fell in love with it when I re-read it as an adult. The themes, symbolism, and story line made so much more sense the second time that I read it.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Return to “Classic Books”