Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Re: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

It's a great book and a great story about love and friendship. This is a story that I absorbed so many years ago, but that made such an impression, I never forget it. This is unlike so many books that I forget almost as soon as closing them.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I read this book when I was 15, I am 34 now and I still hold this book in high regard. I remember being teased because I cried as we read it in our English Literature class. I wont say why as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

It's intersting to see that many have read this book in school. This was not on our reading list. I've always known of the movie first, until recently. So, I would definitely love to read the book first.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I was so disappointed when this was taken off the curriculum. It was a fantastic book to teach. The kids and I loved it. The English was good, the story was great and it was accessible to everyone. A timeless classic.
smacky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by smacky »

even me I read of mice and men when I was I'm high school the book was educative I really enjoyed it
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I loved Of Mice and Men, even though it broke my heart.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
blossomjin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossomjin.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by blossomjin »

Of Mice and Men was one of the core texts for my school when I was doing my GCSE's and still to this day I know that book like the back of my hand. I thought that I would hate it considering how much I reread it, but it is a book close to my heart. I associate a lot of good things with this books and wish that more people I know didn't find it as traumatizing.
blossomjin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossomjin.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by blossomjin »

Dream Catcher wrote: 11 Jan 2014, 09:58 I studied this book during my last year of secondary school. It was a great book and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone as well as the film. Although, when I turned the first page someone had written "George Shoots Lenny" on the inside cover. This didn't ruin it for me however, which is a great thing because it was such a good read with lots of motifs which were quite interesting once you thought about them in more depth. Great story, tempted to re-read it.
That happened a lot in my school too.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I have not read this book yet, but it sounds like an interesting book that I may read in the future.
Josh_V

Post by Josh_V »

I read East of Eden recently and really enjoyed it, that experience has placed anything by Steinbeck on my To Read pile, this one will likely be the next.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

It was a great book about friendship and what people are willing to do for the people they love. It could also be used in a discussion about disabilities if you wanted it to.
Samiria

Post by Samiria »

Mice and Men is such a classic. I read this book so many times. Even though it had a a terrible ending it is still one of my favorite books. I liked how the author portrays the characters in the story. Each character was dealing with a problem that related back to Lennie and George (if you know what I mean).
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I read this book for school and while I really enjoyed it, many people in my class did not. Although saying that, during the film there was hardly a dry eye in the room by the end.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Aw man, my brother and I love this book so much, we talk about all the time.
Margarita_c721

Post by Margarita_c721 »

I loved this book I’ve read it twice and I always recommend this book when ever someone wants to read something heartbreaking. I feel like John Steinbeck did an amazing job on how he portrayed each character. Every character felt an intense loneliness that could only be cured by company. I like how mostly all the characters in the book let their guard down with Lennie. You could see some character development when Lennie would listen while they talked about their real life experience. If you love plot twist I recommend this book because you won’t even see it coming.

Return to “Classic Books”