A Tale of Two Cities

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Khushi
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi.html
Latest Review: "Harvest" by Beth Martinu
fav_author_id: 2384

Re: A Tale of Two Cities

Post by Khushi »

This is one of the most well-written book I have ever read. Charles Dickens is my favourite author. And 'A Tale of Two Cities' is a classic and a masterpiece in the truest sense. I read it for the simple joy of reading something so well-written. A historical novel with interwoven plot of a love story set in the tragedy and horror of the times of the revolution, makes for a spell binding plot. But what is even more impressive is the skilful manner in which the book is written. The language is not difficult, it is rich. An English you are familiar with yet don't use so often. I rarely reread it in a stretch. I always read it slowly deriving pleasure in every written word,phrase and sentence. Everyone must read it for the sheer joy of written word !
Latest Review: "Harvest" by Beth Martinu
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sadya »

It has been some years since I last read it, but I like this book better than some of the more famous works of Dickens. I didn't like all parts of it though, some passages were too sweet, I'm not sure if that is the correct way to describe it, almost a bit too sentimal here and there perhaps. Other than that, I remember enjoying the story very much.

Sometimes my eyes pass the title on my book shelf and I remind myself, that I'd like to reread it one day and see what I think of it now.
Big_B99
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-big-b99.html
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor

Post by Big_B99 »

A Tale of Two Cities was my first Dickens, and I LOVE it! The first half was dragging on quite a bit, but as I continued reading it, I became more and more enthralled, and I sped through the last half. The ending was so powerful! Easily one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, ending paragraphs in classic literature.
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Dickens writing is something get used to, but the storyline is great, and he very strategically made revelations that just kept me interested all the time.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The prose is pure poetry. Dickens' talent for social commentary is impressive as always.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I read an abridged version. At least it was something that was already on the shelf at home. I did enjoy the story. I found the ending heart breaking. I did read a few other books by Dickens but need to remember the titles of some of them. I can't forget Oliver Twist though.
Oscar Ray
Currently Reading:

Post by Oscar Ray »

I haven't read this book in over ten years, and I can still imagine the wine spilling through cobblestone streets in pre-revolution France. Nobody puts an image in my head like Dickens!
lettiebeth

Post by lettiebeth »

A Tale of Two Cities was my first Dickens love. One of my first book loves, actually. I was given the Great Illustrated Classics version for my eighth birthday and I was hooked. A few years later I read the real version, and it is still my most re-read Dickens to this day.
There is something sublime in Dickens' ability to capture the whole spectrum of human emotion in the written word.
Ever since I was a kid, I have been captivated by this book, and Sidney Carton's sacrificial choice leaves one with a bittersweet feeling.
This is a beautiful, poignant, brilliant book.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

shockernot_mc wrote: 16 Jan 2014, 21:15 My first impression of this book was how lllloooooonnnnnnggggg the opening sentence was. But by the end I was struck at how the first and last sentence (arguably two of the most famous literary lines ever) but served to remind the reader of his/her mortality.
A long sentence but a timeless sentence. It actually applies to so many places and so many eras including our own
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I wrote a paper in college on the theme of vengeance in this novel. If I remember correctly, in the novel there is a female character referred to as "the vengeance" which is really interesting. The writing is very good, I think, and if it seemed a bit wordy, then I didn't notice or dislike the wordiness. It's interesting, educating, and compelling.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

In tenth grade we had to read "Oliver Twist." I hated it. I told my mom I couldn't stand Dickens and she convinced me to read "A Tale of Two Cities." It really enjoyed it once it got going (when the revolution started).

Then, in my AP English class, we had to pick a book off of a list to read every so often. "A Tale of Two Cities" was on the list so I suggested my friend read it when he asked me. About 1/3 of the way through he was telling me how boring it was. He couldn't understand why I liked it. I just told him to keep going until he got to the second half. Shortly thereafter, he finished the entire book and couldn't wait to tell everyone how great it was.

On another note, we had to write something called a Critical Lens for our state assessments. You got a quote on the day of the test, no advance notice. You had to explain/interpret the quote, agree or disagree with it, and then write about how TWO stories (from your recollections) demonstrated the quote. Our quote was something about how a person's true character is revealed in difficult times or something. I nailed that lens with Sydney Carton and John Proctor (Crucible).

Now I feel like I need to reread it.
Pesa254

Post by Pesa254 »

I left reading that book from the 3rd page it was boring not what I expected from such a renowned Masterpiece actually and i have never read any other books from Dickens for fear of wasting time
baber12121

Post by baber12121 »

one of the best book i have ever read.little bit overused of words but that's what makes it special.words seems like pearls in beautiful necklace.highly recommended
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Charles Dickens Tale of Two cities is one of the best classical novels. But when compared to other works of Charles Dickens, this is not very interesting.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

This book is on my want to read list. Looking forward to read it.

Return to “Classic Books”