Moby Dick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jenna J Richardson
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 8

Re: Moby Dick

Post by Jenna J Richardson »

Moby Dick is perhaps one of the strongest books about the conflict between nature and man that has ever been written. It is a classic among classics, like Wuthering Heights, Madame Bovary, and Treasure Island; and similar to works by Robert Lewis Stevenson, Flaubert, and Oscar Wilde. Moby Sick authored by Herman Melville, continues its popularity, as it is often read today more than ever (it took years to discover, and when it did, publication was quede). In its early days it was discriminative, but soon grew in popularity over the years. Moby Dick is more than just whaling-no, it's much deeper than that: it is a true tale of man and nature, a relationship that is unbalanced and unfair. After Cap'n Ahab loses a leg to this giant whale, he continues on the Peqoid to seek revenge and decides to kill that whale. Ahab meets some interesting characters along the way, like Quiqueg, the foreigner of the ship among others. I appreciate their relationship with each other, and I admire the use of Melville's descriptive term "bossom" friend, although the savage cannot articulate any English what so ever, but is nonetheless a "dear," or close friend. The plot is symbolic of the Bible, in that one seeks revenge for another: that sin is a part of nature. Greed is human's sin, and this is what drove Ahab to enact avenge on the huge Spermacete whale. I believe this book raises the issue of immortality: Ahab risks his life in attempt to capture the great whale, and he ends up dying in agony. The idea of a dream is also a theme in this book: the strive for perfection; to have a balance in the world is stressed. One must die:then live, and the cycle continues. This book teaches growing children to not take feelings or their own behaviors out on animals. Wild creatures must live in peace with this world and everone on the planet. Sin is a major theme: when we are born we are impure, not free of sin, yet we do not know evil yet either. Human suffering plays a key role here too: the price of sin is hell, even if that means letting go of what you intentionally wanted or saught, is a romantic theme here. The ultimate consequence of sin is death. I enjoyed reading Moby Dick in high school once, but I have come to refer to the novel here and there. The plot stirs my very emotions; it is well written, and has an over-all interesting plot. Melville's dialogue and detailed writing is superb! Though it is simple dialect, it makes for an easy, quick read (of course there are many translations). If you are not very familiar with old English, then I would not recommend this book (although after awhile the plot and dialogue is simpler!) The purpose of his details can best be credited to the many years He spent on a ship himself. (it is said that all good authors write what they know: and Melville has an extaordinaey talent for doing so. 'Call me Ishmael' is perhaps the introduction that ressonates with its readers today and is a fascinating beginning of the novel. There are many other quotes from this book I admire. One, I find interesting, "Why upon your first voyage...did you yourself feel...you and your ship were now out of sight...Greeks give it separate deity...surely all this is not without meaning," [thought Ishmael]. Today, this book is perhaps the most classic of books in history and is one of the most read, most popular books. The writing is excellent yet easy to understand, without condensation. I rate Moby Dick 5 stars! I have read the book more than once and every time I do, it seems a little different--yet so the same. For this, Moby Dick will always be a classic.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Knowing Moby Dick was about chasing the elusive white whale, I was prepared for a tome's worth of whale knowledge. I was not prepared for nautical knowledge that reads less like a novel and more like a sailor's guide to the ocean. Needless to say, I skipped large portions of text at a time - my attention was never caught.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I csme across the book in the school library many years ago the version I read was a simplified one. I found it to be good.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

Nathrad Sheare wrote: 07 Jan 2014, 14:00 I know it's not one of the MOST exciting classic reads out there, but I know I enjoyed it deeply. I did, however, prefer Herman Melville's shorts. His Bartleby is a particularly engrossing little story.

-- 07 Jan 2014, 14:00 --

I know it's not one of the MOST exciting classic reads out there, but I know I enjoyed it deeply. I did, however, prefer Herman Melville's shorts. His Bartleby is a particularly engrossing little story.
Hi! I also read both of Herman Melville's classics. I enjoyed Bartleby the Scrivener quite well back in college. "I would prefer not to," is my favorite saying from that one. Bartleby was such a quirky character. It took me months to finish Moby Dick and I'm glad that I did. It is an adventure, like being on an extended quest out to sea, filled with all the trials and tribulations one would expect. On a side note, there is a novel Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Nashlund that is quite good, and it gives her perspective on having a ship captain for a husband.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I remember trying to read this as a kid in middle school, but too much of it went over my head so I stopped reading it. It was hard to find books at my reading level because I read college level. I would probably understand it now, but my personal want to read pile keeps on growing.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
munich1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by munich1 »

A man obsessed with killing the whale that destroyed his ship and cost him one of his legs. If it were about revenge on a person, it would be called premeditated murder, but since this is about an animal being hunted down, it is a subject matter that would be given only impassive consideration by the tenor of the time in which the book was written. In the present day, Greenpeace and other environmental groups would pounce on Ahab and the members of his crew for cutting down a member of an endangered species.
ultrain
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by ultrain »

Moby Dick is brilliant!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I started reading Moby Dick years ago but I never got to finish it. I really think that it's time I pick it up again maybe this time around I'll get to finish it
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

When I was younger, I grew tired of books intended for my age. They were all simple and boring. We had a copy of Moby Dick, so I picked it up and started reading. The language and vocabulary were much more to my liking but the storyline went completely over my head. I eventually gave up and switched to young adult books but I never went back to read it. Maybe someday I will.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

It is a miracle indeed when a teenage girl is made to want to live on a whaling expedition in the late 1800's, but Herman Melville pulled it off. I find that some people are more suited to enjoy the classics than others, and I think I'm one of those people in general, but I think my experience with it speaks to how well it was written. The lengthy descriptions of whaling and sailing were welcome, because they kept me locked into the world of the White Whale longer, which I desperately wanted. I'm glad we got to choose our own book to read at the end of senior year, because I doubt I would have had the chance to enjoy it slowly like I wanted at any other time afterwards.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

It's certainly not one of my favorite books, but I can understand why others would like it and why it's considered a classic. I may try to read it again in the future and see if I can get a new perspective on it.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

My moms saving a first edition in the hopes that some day I will want the book. His tales have never held my interest although I have tried.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

While I do like the story, I started reading Moby Dick many times, but just didn't finish. I plan to return to it in the fall. You should still give it a try.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Michelle_123

Post by Michelle_123 »

very good book, its a lot about courage.
lakensteele20

Post by lakensteele20 »

This book isn't so bad. I think I probably prefer the kids version of it though. Just my opinion, everyone has one.

Return to “Classic Books”