Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Re: Romeo and Juliet

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

I studied this in school and analysed it a great deal, so I would more than likely not be able to read the play without thinking about how to answer a question on it!

As my first introduction to Shakespeare, it's certainly a difficult one given the tragic story and the language, but I did enjoy reading it and seeing it performed live.

In terms of the story, my inner feminist would view it differently to how I read it as a student, especially given the patriarchal society and how women are almost bartered to be married, but Juliet as a heroine is one who battles back against this and does her best to shape her destiny, despite its tragedy.

I never really liked Romeo's character, as his impulsive, hot-headed nature got him into dire trouble and his fate was almost pre-determined.

I do like this play, and it is a classic for me with many good memories, and will surely be discussed for decades to come. It's 2018 and we are still talking about William Shakespeare, so that certainly says something about his legacy as a writer.
Zohaib nazim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zohaib nazim »

This book is very similar to story of famous "Heer Ranjha".The intensity and passion is written in very beautiful words, i love it.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

I love the book, its poetically written. After the first time I read it, I became obsessed with quoting it! but that aside, the book was just wasteful with lives ( teenage hormones :roll2: ), but there's a solid lesson in there about bad parenting and not listening to your children, that is still relevant in this day and age, that still dumbfound's me, humans really never learn.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html

Post by hadizasalisu »

EmeraldEyes8918 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 10:47 I studied this in school and analysed it a great deal, so I would more than likely not be able to read the play without thinking about how to answer a question on it!

As my first introduction to Shakespeare, it's certainly a difficult one given the tragic story and the language, but I did enjoy reading it and seeing it performed live.

In terms of the story, my inner feminist would view it differently to how I read it as a student, especially given the patriarchal society and how women are almost bartered to be married, but Juliet as a heroine is one who battles back against this and does her best to shape her destiny, despite its tragedy.

I never really liked Romeo's character, as his impulsive, hot-headed nature got him into dire trouble and his fate was almost pre-determined.

I do like this play, and it is a classic for me with many good memories, and will surely be discussed for decades to come. It's 2018 and we are still talking about William Shakespeare, so that certainly says something about his legacy as a writer.
Well said
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

Romeo and Juliet was about as funny as it is tragic because of how the story was resolved.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I never read it but I love the storyline. If I read it someday I will surely love it a lot.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I have a lot of trouble reconciling Romeo and Juliet with my realist mind. The trouble with romances, especially tragic romances, is that it lacks that element of reality that makes it believable. Suffering through the play my freshman year of high school, I noticed even then how unattractively forced and childish the whole thing was. In my opinion, it's better as a children's story, just like Pyramus and Thisbe.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
M-H-D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by M-H-D »

Zohaib nazim wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 15:18 This book is very similar to story of famous "Heer Ranjha".The intensity and passion is written in very beautiful words, i love it.
i love it 2
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Honestly school ruined it for me and all I could think about was what an utter lack of communication the couple had. Some simple coordination between the two lovers and there would have been an entirely different ending. It reminds me of today's soap operas whose bedrock is miscommunication.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Romeo and Juliet is my favorite Shakespearean play. I also like A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

if you enjoy reading it as I have and you enjoy the different aspect of the language to it then might I suggest to you to watch the modern day version of Romeo and Juliette with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. It is by far my favorite version of the old Shakespeare classic. I love the story line to it and the love that -though as doomed as possible from the beginning- it shows. I just wish instead of being a tragedy that maybe they could have overcome the star-crossed doomed part of their love to have a happier ending instead of losing not only those they loved but themselves as well.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I never got time to read it, but I think that I would love it. I would try it very very soon.
GabrielleFisher
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GabrielleFisher »

Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite book ever. It’s hard to read and understand. It’s also very unrealistic and silly, there are better, more meaningful books that should be taught in schools that can teach an actual lesson. Not that you should run away and kill yourself over your first boyfriend/girlfriend.
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

I've read the play many times and I was juliet once! I really loved the dialogue and the undeniable love between this two. Clear as day and devoted. Yes, it is dramatic compared to modern romances but it captures perfectly how first loves are. Unforgetable and beautiful. Romeo and Juliet is a story that makes you feel all goey and romantic.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

It’s one of my favourites, although no matter how many times I read it I detest how close these to tragic lovers came to almost being free. It reminds me that sometimes we have to take a step back and think before we act on a whim. In turn, highlighting the importance of love and loyalty, whilst being strong enough to fight for what you want.

Return to “Classic Books”