David Copperfield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

David Copperfield

Post by Wesusa »

David Copperfield has been often overlooked in the library of Dickens, despite it being my favorite of his books. I think it's extraordinarily well written, and the characters are likable. What are your thoughts?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

@Wesusa

'Copperfield' is my favorite of Dickens works as well. It is my understanding that it was also Dickens favorite of all his novels.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I love the book. I read this book when I was 12 and it became one of my favorites. I think Dickens did a great work with the story, and mostly with the characters. It's easy to like the characters in the book, which makes it a great story. My favorite of all Dickens novels.
dtirmizi23

Post by dtirmizi23 »

The story of David Copperfield is one that I felt people could relate to, thats why the book feels special. In the novel, we see the life of Copperfield from his childhood to maturity. Along with some serious events, the book takes sharp turns and leaves you wanting to read more. The book also follows Dickens own life events to present a more relatable theme. It is an old classic book that I highly recommend to read.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I love this book to the extreme. I always find it difficult to start one of Dickens novels, but after reading few chapters I get absorbed into it. David Copperfield is my favourite amongst Dickens' novels.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

When I first started reading this book, it was a bit boring. But after the first three chapters, I got so engrossed in the book.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

David Copperfield got me too. The vulnerability of a little boy. This coming-of-age storyline will always be relevant as far as I can see. The characters are relatable. Definitely a classical book. Charles Dickens is a tremendous author.
Mpilis

Post by Mpilis »

I read it with pleasure, learned a lot of interesting things about the secret or not so secret dreams of Mr. Dickens. However, the story itself is good. In places, even, apparently, biographical. Especially in terms of desires. True, life is a dog or there the universe for some reason refused to throw gifts under the Dickensian Christmas tree. But it happens, that is, it is not harmful to dream. Once again she noted that Dickens does not like the long suffering of the chiefs when they are boys. This is not Czechs, Dostoevsky, Korolenko. The Thames quickly overflows and good and rich relatives are found in order to save the unfortunate child from the clutches of the villains and lift it, if not to the top of the social ladder, then to its approaches. But this is not our way, our masters reject such sentimental tricks for the needs of the mass public. To each his own, that is. As always, the secondary Persians in Dickens are brilliance. Often it is much more interesting to read about them than about the main ones. But only not if a slobbery-tragic line is played out between them or they are appointed the main villains. These are naturally annoying. And at the same time, Dickens has a kind of false-Sladuvan tone. But all sorts of ridiculous, awkward, dissolute, and so on, his types come out just fine. In this story, I really liked the ideal and kind patient - the school friend of the glavger and the family of frantically breeding professional debtors-freeloaders, with whom the glavger was close friends. Again Dickens is very kind to people with mental disorders. This is in those days. And for once, for once, his fallen women have not died. I just couldn't believe my eyes. Haha.
Now for the funniest part. That is, about dreamy-unrealizable, but written with great care and pain of the heart muscle, apparently. So, the main character was born, grew up, orphaned, snatched off a number of life hardships on the back of his neck, escaped from the hands of the villainous stepfather and his sister, grew up under the supervision of loving grandmothers and uncles. Was repeatedly named daisy. Oh, those English schools... Well, you understand, I hope. Went out into the world and fell in love. He quickly got married and realized that he was in a hurry. Oops. That is, one should take a strong heavy truck as a wife, but not a young girl fluttering like a moth, and not plowing on a British farm for five shillings, making candy out of thin air and bringing her husband a pipe and slippers in her worn teeth. And he fell in love and foolishly got married. Got it, in general. And after all, what is most offensive, he honestly tried to harness his young wife into domestic slavery. But it didn't. How do you lure a moth? No way.Therefore, he kind of reconciled and honestly endured, it is important - that not long, until the cruel fate and so on, to finally ring with the right woman with all the necessary qualities. This is where I just started crying. Not over the leader. Above the author, I confess. However, I'm lying. Above the author, who, well, was not lucky at all. For some reason, fate refused to be cruel and stubbornly did not talk; the wife refused to go to a psychiatric hospital and simply moved to a different address; the whole country, and not just neighbors, enjoyed the family drama of the famous writer with pleasure. Which is a little comforting. Not exactly, just probably. The ability to write books. After all, you can write anything you want, since the universe does not want to throw a gift under the Christmas tree. And cherish the heart. And get paid. And bronzed, become a classic. To punish more biographers who brazenly delve into real facts, and not into book fantasies. But ... here again fate categorically refuses ...

Return to “Classic Books”