Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Little Women

Post by wendilou49 »

Little Women is a book that has always been on my bookshelves. I've read it more than once because of its homey feeling and its emphasis on family loyalty. I love all the characters and the way they are so closely knit. It's been my favourite since I was a bookworm teenager.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

Sarah_McGregor810 wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 14:12 I recently finished reading this book. Whenever I see a movie coming out that I know is adapted from a novel, I try and read the book before seeing the movie. With the new Little Women movie coming out, I decided to read this book for the first time ever.

I had extremely high expectations. It seems like everyone I know had read the book at one point or another and they all loved the story. I was not blown away, though I still enjoyed the story. I was most impressed with Amy's character development and there were several other parts of the book that I never saw coming, which I thought was great!

I have yet to see the movie, but it is on my list and I can't wait to compare the book to the movie.
I watched the movie last night and wasn't thrilled with it. It tells the story by jumping back and forth in time, which to need took away from the whole of the book. I'll be curious to see what you think. Send need a message if you are able.
Sarah_McGregor810
Currently Reading: West
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-mcgregor810.html
Latest Review: Uther: A Tale Untold by Michael F. Maiello

Post by Sarah_McGregor810 »

I heard about that! I'll try to watch it this weekend and get back to you with my thoughts. I went out a while back and purchased the 1994 movie. Maybe I can do a compare and contrast between the two.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

My literature class led me to reading the book and I have loved it ever since.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

The new movie is so great worth how they picture Jo. It’s really brought into light the ending and whether to question it or not.
Sarah_McGregor810
Currently Reading: West
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-mcgregor810.html
Latest Review: Uther: A Tale Untold by Michael F. Maiello

Post by Sarah_McGregor810 »

I finally watched the newest movie! I can see both sides of the coin for liking and not liking how they jumped back and forth between future and past. But I think they did that based on the premise they eluded to with the ending. I don't want to give anything away, but those who have watched it will know what I'm referring to. With that said, the ending has stuck with me. They ask the question that I asked myself while reading the book. I struggle with accepting the ending as they portrayed it.

Next step for me: I found that there is a Little Women series on Amazon. I think I'll give those a try. Seems like they will be much more detailed as they have several episodes that tackle every event that happens in the book. I'm looking forward to it!
Melissa goss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Melissa goss »

I adore this book but the way it was split into two halfs has always annoyed me because I spent my whole childhood reading what I thought was the whole book but turned out to just be half, I had to buy a new copy
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

This was my great grandma's favourite book and because I had three sisters (making us a family of four girls) she used to call us her little women.
Geshellou

Post by Geshellou »

This book is an allegorical book that talks about living a Christian life, contemplating about poverty, climbing dreams and working on them, essence of family's togetherness and fighting battles both alone and together. They are sisters with different personalities, different dreams and different perspectives. I like Jo personally, she is straight-forward and brave. But her being like that would gain her companies. the book showcased not just what a family faces everyday in those times, but it is still going on up to this day, children being punished in school, children withdrawing from school, it all happens today. Sisters fighting over sister stuffs, like love and affection and little things. Sacrificing for one another and letting go of what make s both happy. There is so much in this book, but one thing i like is how they chased their dreams to the point that they forgot what family is. But when disaster strikes their family, they were all ready to leave everything behind to get home.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I loved the book, but I was a bit disappointed with the new movie. It was really non-linear and psychological, which was very different from how the novel progressed. The older film with Winona Ryder did a better job following the storyline.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I've seen enough of it to know that there is indeed a reason for it to be a classic, that's for sure.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Little Women is my all time favorite classic. I can't help but relate myself to Jo March, even named one my social profile after her. :mrgreen:
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I identified with different little women over the course of my childhood. Beth first, Amy a bit later because of our similar appearances, and then for some reason I thought I was more Jo than Meg even though it was clearly not the case. (Wait, maybe because we both wrote? And I planned to be a teacher? More relevant to Little Men than Little Women, but aight, Baby Bri.)

I always liked that the book was split into halves because the second half was sadder, so after the first few read-throughs, I decided to pretend like the second half wasn't canon/didn't exist. (Nevermind that it was rather important to set up Little Men, my other favorite book at the time... I was an excessively sensitive child.) It also made a good breaking point for the book as a read-aloud. The entire book was just too long for a read-aloud, although possibly it being my seventh read-through didn't help. Huh, maybe it's time for another reread. It's been at least 4 years due to college...
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

One good discussion question might be asking everyone which character they relate to the most and why?
DaFinaJones
Currently Reading: The Cooperating Witness

Post by DaFinaJones »

Loved this book! Read it after my mom did growing up so I ended up falling in love with reading with this book. Great plot!

Return to “Classic Books”