A Midsummer Night's Dream

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: A Midsummer Night's Dream

Post by Online Concept »

I haven't read it but I'm a fan of Shakespeare's and would love to read it.
Andrew Butchers
Currently Reading: The Long Arm of Fantomas
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by Andrew Butchers »

I don't know if it was because of having to at school, but I never got on with reading Shakespear. However, I do enjoy watching the plays performed.

I have seen "A Midsummer Night's Dream" performed a number of times. One of the strangest was at the National Theatre in London in the early 90's I think - the action took place on a bed in a pool of water. (And it was actual water - the front rows were issued with plastic covering to protect against splashing.)
freegold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by freegold »

Hi new to the forum and love Shakespeare's works. He was definitely one of the forerunners of modern English. Yes, A Midsummer Night's Dream was an excellent play. But, in the context of so many, many works, it's hard to say which I like best. I think Henry the Fourth for character development and English royal scheming (still happening today) and also for his stance on the true meaning of war and compatriots.
liyifan
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by liyifan »

I think this book is an interesting and beautiful poetry novel, as well as a charming and intelligent comedy novel. It makes us realize that love is a magical and complex force that allows us to see different worlds and become different selves.
davidwarner5500
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by davidwarner5500 »

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts of classic literature! I've recently delved into the captivating world of A Midsummer Night's Dream, penned by the legendary Shakespeare, and it has left me utterly enchanted. The tale exudes a whimsical charm and masterfully displays Shakespeare's inimitable sense of humor. Have any of you had the pleasure of immersing yourselves in its pages?

Furthermore, I'm curious to know which literary masterpiece holds a special place in your heart. Personally, I must confess that Macbeth reigns as my all-time favorite. Its gripping narrative and profound exploration of human nature continue to enthrall me.

By the way, I possess an insatiable thirst for knowledge, faithfully documenting every fascinating detail that captures my attention. My dear companion, Golly, advises that if I aspire to become a writer someday, I must commence this endeavor without delay. That is precisely why I have embarked on the path of a spy, gathering intelligence and experiences to fuel my creative aspirations....
johncena007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by johncena007 »

I delved into Shakespeare's works at the age of eight, beginning with Lamb Tales from Shakespeare, a comprehensive book that condensed some of his most renowned plays for easier reading. Among these stories, A Midsummer Night's Dream captivated me the most, becoming a personal favorite. As time passed, I challenged myself to tackle the original works written in the complex and archaic Old English language, which proved to be quite demanding. Undeniably, these works are timeless classics. Alongside A Midsummer Night's Dream, I also hold a deep admiration for Macbeth, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, and Othello, as they have left a lasting impression on me.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

How do you all read Shakespeare and comprehend what's written? I mean it's possible, but only when I read the text a second time. That's exactly how it was for me as I read "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I understood most of it, well I had to, 'cause I had to pass my exams, but toward the end, I got so confused, lol. It made me laugh several times when I did understand, other times, I'd just breeze through wondering exactly what Shakespeare meant by that part of the text. It's still a nice story, humorous indeed.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Now that I think about it...Is that how they spoke then? Who taught Shakespaere English, and how exactly did it morph from what he spoke to what we speak today? I'm grateful it did morph, don't get me wrong, but how did it happen and who made it happen?
These are all such random questions...
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Yeah! We read it during school and honestly I don't remember much about it. Still, I believe it was a good one. Based on my memory, it is a comedic play which portrays the adventures of four young lovers and a group of actors who were stranded in a magical forest inhabited by fairies.
The play explores themes of love, illusion, and the whimsical nature of reality. What captured my attention was the comedy in this play. For instance, when Puck said: "Lord, what fools these mortals be!" :mrgreen:
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

. A Midsummer Night's Dream was one of my favorite stories. Years later, I decided to read the original work published in the serious difficult Old English and it was tough going for me
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I read it during my college days. It's one of the most hilarious works from Shakespeare. I just love the confusion and chaos.

I also love King Lear and Twelfth Night.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

A Midsummer Night Dream is my favourite Shakespeare's book. On like Romeo and Juliet this book is comedy packed
Nevada Shriver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nevada-shriver.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Nevada Shriver »

A Midsummer Night’s Dream is my all-time favorite, followed by Taming of the Shrew. I didn’t care about any other Shakespeare work, but these two titles made me laugh and I still remember their stories a decade later.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I have not read this book yet but from the comments I think I need to check it out.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I read the name of this book somewhere for sure but i didn't happen to read it so it's definitely on my want to read list

Return to “Classic Books”