Wutherin Heights- The Antagonist and Protagonist Heathcliff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kratika Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kratika-joshi.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Wutherin Heights- The Antagonist and Protagonist Heathcliff

Post by Kratika Joshi »

The brooding and clouded atmosphere of the book Wuthering Heights not only gives the setting a character but also is a character, Heathcliff. Heathcliff is one of the most complex characters written, with the question stretching throughout the book, 'Is he the protagonist or antagonist?'
I would love to know what you think about where Heathcliff's characteristics lie more and why.
iawoas
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Woman in White
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iawoas.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by iawoas »

I’m more inclined to see Heathcliff as the antagonist. I tried to understand his motives, his feelings, and his deep love and sometimes I can really feel sorry for him or have some kind of empathy. But, at the same time, he hardly ever shows mercy, he’s ungrateful and unforgiving. So, Heathcliff is definitely not the protagonist for me.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

Heathcliff is the most complex character I have come across. I want to believe that he is the romantic hero and his cruelty is an expression of his frustrated love for Catherine. It is easy to sympathize with him when he is a harmless young man, tyrannized by his upper-class counterparts.

It becomes difficult to see him as a romantic hero when he acquires power and comes back as a villain. His desire for revenge is never-ending and out of proportion. His treatment of others is abusive and sadistic. It's difficult then to see him as anything other than a protagonist then.
Maria_maria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Maria_maria »

One of the most complex characters ever! Emily Bronte did a really good job, I have read A LOT of books and never come across something big and unique like Wuthering Heights. It contains a lot of contrast feelings. I sympathized with Heathcliff a lot at the begging, and still, I found myself hating him without noticing it. She described and played the roles in a sophisticated manner. From loving Heathcliff and thinking that he was one of the protagonists and arriving at the middle of the book hating him and doubting that he is the protagonist, it needs talent. I love to think that he had a strong character and did both roles.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

I recently started rereading Wuthering Heights again and this go around I have so much more sympathy for Heathcliff than I did the first time. When I read it initially (probably 10 years ago now), I viewed him purely as an evil antagonist. I couldn't stand how abusive and vile he is. But now I'm seeing a different side of him. I feel for him more than I ever expected to.

I love how complex all the characters in Wuthering Heights are. No one seems to fit cleanly into any category. All are incredibly unlikeable in their own unique ways and yet I enjoy being wrapped up in their complex and heartbreaking tale.

It's a beautifully written book that I cannot recommend enough.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I see Heathcliff almost in the same way that I see Frankenstein's monster: a victim. Readers have no idea what happened to Heathcliff before the Earnshaw's took him in, but it certainly wasn't good. He was then abused throughout his entire childhood, and he overheard the girl he loved talking about how he was too low for her to marry. He was clearly suffering from years of trauma, abuse, and mental illness.

Almost every character is an antagonist in that book!
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I think that if we see the story from a practical and logical point of view, most characters would be the antagonist but once you take into account human emotions and how complicated they can get, some of heathcliff's behaviour is understandable

Return to “Classic Books”