Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Jane Eyre

Post by victoriasimons »

I adore this book. It's been my absolute favourite ever since I first read it when I was 12. I really related to Jane as I was growing up, the odd, quiet girl. Rereading it is always a huge comfort.
ShradhaSharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shradhasharma.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ShradhaSharma »

The delicacy and the elegance of Jane Eyre is par beyond excellence! I looked reading this book.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

DuchessAngel37 wrote: 08 Feb 2007, 20:04 This is one of my all time favorite classic's, but I never can quite explain why. I once took it apart bit by bit in a literary review, psychoanalyzing each character and what each one was supposed to represent, and how characters from Jane's childhood re-emerged as different characters later in life, and that made me love it even more.

I remember I hated it when I had to read it in high school, but then as I got older I realized that I didn't hate it at all, I just hated HAVING to read it. I read and write like a fiend, but I don't like having to do it on cue.

What do you think of it?
I relate to the second part of your post so much - feeling like you HAD to read books at school took so much of the joy out of it! This was one I had to read when I was about 14 and I didn't really enjoy it but reading it years later I actually found it to be such an interesting story
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Jane Eyre is one of the best classics. it is a very interesting story. it brings out the social construct of that period.
Claudiarbol
Currently Reading: Colección integral de Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Claudiarbol »

I can't remember why I read Jane Eyre, but is my favourite book ever.

The start is my least favourite part as it feels really slow to me, even though is really interesting; when Jane leaves the school to go to Thornfield makes me feel as I am starting this new adventure with her.

I admire Jane a lot, not only for how she had to go through her early years by herself, but for the decisions she has to make, I think she is of the strongest characters I have ever read.
Sonia s
Currently Reading: Rainbow
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Sonia s »

This book is old but it's still popular amongst us,
I do love true stories I can never have enough of them,
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I studied Jane Eyre for my English Literature class. My teacher was very good in explaining it. I love this classic. It is the first classic I read too.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I read this book for college. I liked it and was glad it made the cut.
msilva99
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: A Touch of Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by msilva99 »

I want to read this book again soon! I remember the first half took me a while, but the second half of the book was gone in an instant.. I'd like to read more classics but I don't know which one would make me feel like Jane Eyre did.
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

Jane Eyre was on my classics to read list for a long time and I'm glad I finally read it! I feel like it took me a long time to get through, but overall I enjoyed it! It just pulls you in and makes you want to know more about each of the characters. There's also a little something for everyone in it.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

The same thing happened to me but with another book i.e. Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. When I first read it I couldn't enjoy it as much but when I read others' reviews and got to know about the author's life and what he wanted to convey through the book, I really cherished it in the true sense.

I enjoyed Jane Eyre in my first reading itself.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I loved how in the book later on Jane's cousins act like nothing ever happened and Jane was still kind enough to forgive them.
Che Sparrowbosa
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-che-sparrowbosa.html
Latest Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by Che Sparrowbosa »

I think it was a solid 7/10. I would definitely encourage my daughter to read it if I ever had one :lol: It kind of reminded me of Pride and Prejudice with the personality of the heroine Jane and I didn't like Pride and Prejudice very much so that's where the 3 points were decducted for me. A lovely coming of age novel though. The development of the character was very realistic and Jane was very self aware at every turn of her decisions which I loved.
Katie Olson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-olson.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Katie Olson »

Jane Eyre is one of my favorite classics. I enjoyed reading the Bronte sisters' works. I did prefer Wuthering Heights to Jane Eyre, though.

Fun fact - Did you know that Jane Eyre is now a manga classic? I read it and it adheres to the story quite well. The artwork is beautiful and magnifies the story even more. If you enjoyed the classic, I highly recommend reading the manga version. (If you can stand reading in the manga style, that is!)

Happy reading!
Nasimareads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nasimareads »

"Jane Eyre" is a kind of book I would never get tired of reading. This is a classic which made me fall in love with classics. I got to read this book as this classic was assigned in our college syllabus. I remember how last year I was engrossed with Jane and Rochester 's heartwarming love story along with Jane' s kind, humble yet stern character. Jane taught me to add value in my life and always stand for my self dignity no matter what. The idea of the author's addressing her readers in such a humble and welcoming way melted my heart. I would love to read this book multiple times as it is not just a classic to me but a place and a world I would love to visit forever. Thank you.

Return to “Classic Books”