Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SYLVIA Mwaba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Post by SYLVIA Mwaba »

The author Chinua Achebe of this book really touched the core of African culture and it's different tribes, beliefs and myths.
It brings out the true Wakanda
I recommend it for those that have a curious mind to read it
Dalhatu Usu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalhatu-usu.html
Latest Review: Why God Allows Evil and Suffering by Sine Nomine

Post by Dalhatu Usu »

Chinua Achebe brings to life the almost every aspect of the Igbo culture in a very interesting style. Though the hero conquered many giants, a few unsuspecting, invisible, unconquered ones leads to his Waterloo. A must read for anyone interested in African culture.
litcat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litcat.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by litcat »

Read this and wrote my MA thesis about it, so of course I love it! I have some issues with it, namely that it seems to give in a bit to what "westerners" believe to be pre-colonial life since not a huge amount is actually known (given that colonisers destroyed or warped a lot of anthropological research), especially with regards to how women are portrayed. If you're interested I also recommend reading postcolonial literary theory about it. Achebe has great interviews and is a wonderful essayist too, namely his collection "Morning Yet on Creation Day".

If the theory side of it doesn't interest you much then by all means just enjoy it as a standalone! And also enjoy that it is a trilogy if you find yourself wanting more!
A002377350V
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by A002377350V »

It was once a set book in my country. It talks about African cultures clashing with European's. During colonial times and the coming of Missionaries to Africa. Okonkwo is the main character in the book. He was a great wrestler. Who never wanted to consider himself a failure and a coward in life. He proved this when he killed a lad by the name Ikemefuna. Whom he had hosted. And was also mearnt to be offered as a sacrifice.
Chriscurrency
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Chriscurrency »

Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe is a seminal novel that explores the clash between traditional Igbo culture and European colonialism in Nigeria during the late 19th century. It follows the life of Okonkwo, a respected Igbo leader, and his community as they grapple with the disruptive forces of change. Achebe masterfully portrays the complexities of culture, power, and identity while shedding light on the devastating consequences of colonialism. This novel is a thought-provoking and essential read, offering profound insights into the consequences of cultural collision.
LIDYA BARASA
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by LIDYA BARASA »

I read it many years ago; I loved it and I can read it once again. It's a great adventure, worth your time.
Abraham Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: A Christian Life.....Connected by John L Walsh

Post by Abraham Ozo »

This book is exceptional. It was so good that it pioneered the movie industry in the country then. This book is still recommend till date and the author is regarded a legend.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

This book is amazing, and I've read it. Achibe does a fantastic job of drawing you into the protagonist's struggle. This, I think, was his way of countering some of the ideas expressed in "Heart of Darkness."
Ruth Andanje
Currently Reading: Women with Partners in Prison
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-andanje.html
Latest Review: The One by Tyler Cook
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Ruth Andanje »

This book was one of the set books tackled by the high school students in the grade ahead of mine before they changed it to A Doll's House. I never read it, but I might someday.
Latest Review: The One by Tyler Cook
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

I can't remember how many times i have read this book, it talks about African History Cultures and Tradition particularly Nigeria Okonkwo was one of my favourite character in the book , i loved his courage and bravery towards fighting colonalism althogh he ended up as an anti hero, this book is a must read.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Andrew Darlington »

This book is absolutely amazing beyond description. It tells the tale of how the white came in and colonized Africa.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

It's an excellent depiction of African village life. Through Okonkwo, we see the representation of a successful man as seen through the eyes of his society.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I had to read this for my African History class and thought it was really good. It was an easy read and very interesting. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Return to “Classic Books”