Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
frank309
Bookshelf Size: 0

Any one read Things Fall Apart

Post by frank309 »

I was wondering if some one has read this book and if they recomend the book to read i have not yet read it but i was wondering if any one has any input to this book or what i am looking forward in this book i want to know if it is good plz leave comments :)

Thank You Frank309[/u]
blue_diamond21

Post by blue_diamond21 »

I had to read it as part of my uni course and i absolutely loved it. It is written by a guy who actually has experienced the life of an African tribe.

It is a great book and gives a real insight into the lives of tribe members and their culture i.e. there is a character who lives in a cave and is a sort of witch who is feared bt greatly respected by the tribe.

You should definitly read this! :D
Don't judge a book by it's cover - not always good advice
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

I read it and loved it, too. Take a chance!
tushar1411

Post by tushar1411 »

Nope
marcuz29

Post by marcuz29 »

yup.. try it..
development

Post by development »

Could you tell me who the author is of this book? I'd like to find the book. Thanks.
pokiok

Post by pokiok »

I had to read this for my African History class and thought it was really good. It was an easy read and very interesting. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
jv08

Post by jv08 »

Who is the author of this book? Thanks.
Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I once read it many years ago..it was about some African story, and I loved it. I guess one of my friends still has it.
jtothero

Post by jtothero »

jv08 wrote:Who is the author of this book? Thanks.
Chinua Achebe
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

I had to read this in college in order to complete my degree for my Senior Seminar and thought it was excellent, good read.
rath010
Currently Reading: Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rath010.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by rath010 »

I'm really happy to have had the excuse to re-read this novel once again. Things Fall Apart is such a wonderful novel that tells of England colonization and the life effects it had on the people, cultures, and customs of Nigeria. I enjoyed this story when I initially read it in high school, but I loved revisiting it as a high school teacher.

I particularly love the time Chinua Achebe spends on developing the character of Okonkwo. This character has so much depth and experiences a transformation that makes for quite an anti-hero ending. I have always debated on focusing a project based on the character development of Okonwo - from this reading I will be doing so in the following year.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone who has not read it and who enjoys culture clashes intertwined with tribal folklore. Even if you don't "enjoy" this type of book, it's still worth your while to read it!
mkshorten
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkshorten.html

Post by mkshorten »

This book was very interesting for me because I read it three times as a requirement for three different classes in school: my freshman year in high school, my senior year in high school, and my sophomore year in college. The first time I didn't care for it at all - not really a surprise, as at that time I was pretty into things like NSYNC and 98 Degrees. The second time I think I understood it better, but the third time it ended up being one of my favorite books. I love the examination of colonial religion.
datchristy
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by datchristy »

I read this book for high school, and to my surprise I actually liked it. A lot of the books we read during high school are pretty dumb and needlessly depressing. This book isn't happy, but it's hard not to enjoy Achebe's writing style. I think that Okonkwo is one of the most perfect examples of an anti-hero, and definitely helped me understand it better.
Anja
Favorite Author: Too many great ones
Favorite Book: Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels
Currently Reading: Merivel by Rose Tremain
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anja.html

Post by Anja »

I still have this book on my shelf after studying it for English in my first year of university. Must say I don't really have a recollection of whether I enjoyed it, probably because we read a few books from this genre at the time. Sounds like I should give it a re-read sometime soon.

Return to “Classic Books”