Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Re: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Post by flaming_quills »

I also had to read this for a unit in my uni course and I can't complain. At the time I really didn't enjoy it but looking back I'm glad I read it and thankful for the wisdom it imparted on me. A great read, would definitely recommend to everyone.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

This is one of favorite books!
Chinua Achebe(The late author) manages to potray the lives of the people in Africa before and after colonisation in a very captivating way. He writes in the novel how the change of customs and absence of freedom can lead to tradegy.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

I say you should try this book because it's an interesting read. The language used is simple and understandable.

The novel is about the lives of the people in Africa during colonialism. The author uses characters like okwonko who lives in a village called umuofia to show the way life was before colonialism spread and became dominant.

The focus of the novel is on african traditions and the Daily lives of the people during that time.
chaseygatha1
Currently Reading: How to win friends and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaseygatha1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by chaseygatha1 »

It's an excellent depiction of African village life. Through Okonkwo, we see the representation of a successful man as seen through the eyes of his society. His eventual downfall clearly causes the reader to question society's measurement of success. In his case, he was considered successful because of his ability to maintain and run his household and his farming business. When his crops were lost,it seemed as if he was no longer a successful man.
Consequently, one should question whether wealth and material possess truly exemplifies success and if not, what should?
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

chaseygatha1 wrote: 26 May 2019, 18:45 It's an excellent depiction of African village life. Through Okonkwo, we see the representation of a successful man as seen through the eyes of his society. His eventual downfall clearly causes the reader to question society's measurement of success. In his case, he was considered successful because of his ability to maintain and run his household and his farming business. When his crops were lost,it seemed as if he was no longer a successful man.
Consequently, one should question whether wealth and material possess truly exemplifies success and if not, what should?
That is a very interesting perspective toward this story. I've been asking the same things about my own culture. You make me want to reread this book using your point of view. :tiphat:
ss-nelly21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ss-nelly21 »

I’ve read this book and it is awesome. Achibe does such a great job of connecting you to the struggle of the protagonist. I believe this was his rebuttal to certain sentiments in “Heart of Darkness”.
emerson fitti valdi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emerson fitti valdi »

yes..
I agree with you
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I read it for a class in uni and I absolutely loved it. I think everyone needs to read this book, it was spectacular and Chinua Achebe is one of the best writers I have ever come across.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I didn't get a chance to read it at school. I still would love to read it but it does not easily stay on the shelves. I will be on the look out to buy it.
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Reading some of these comments made me want to reread THINGS FALL APART. So, I did. This time, I read it from a different perspective, and it was like reading a completely different story. My first reading began with certain expectations. This was just another story about One culture taking over and destroying another culture – a very old story that has been told over and over again. One of the oldest examples that I can think of is the Bible. That expectation dominated my reading, and I missed a good deal of this story's depth.
Perhaps Chinua Achebe was writing about more than just some African tribe's culture and it's demise – he may have written about all cultures and their vulnerabilities. Is this a universal story that goes beyond its stage setting? When I start thinking in these terms, I must ask myself if I am simply inventing through my own expectations and prejudices, the author's intent. The title to this book is interesting – perhaps, telling.
I found a YOUTUBE recording of an interview with Chinua Achebe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHF_w0gkyiI
In it, he stated that he wanted the story to be an honest representation of that culture during that time, and that he hoped the story would resonate with people of different cultures. If I had a choice of authors with whom I could share a cold beer: Chinua Achebe would have been my choice.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I read it in my first year at Uni and found much to be learned through the language and imagery. It's an age old story indeed, but the African influences from the author's life and the way it's told tends to stick with you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I have read Things fall apart and many of Chinua Achebe's books. It is a classical African themed and I can relate to the characters. Would definetely recommend it to anyone curious abut African culture.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

Read it three times for classes and twice on my own. It's definitely one of the relatively few required reading books I enjoyed and found compelling.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

One of my best African reads. I read it in high school.
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

Things Fall Apart is a classic that will make it into the future. I loved Chinua Achebe's writings and they live on even after his death. Things Fall Apart is one of the best African writings till date.

Return to “Classic Books”