Sun tzu's art of war

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Sun tzu's art of war

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

The strategies from the book can very much be applied to our personal lives as well
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Its an interesting book about strategy. At first it didn't make sense to me but after some years and reading Robert greens book 48 laws of power which quotes from San tzu I had to read it again. The second time was better
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

What is so genius about Sun Tzu is how he takes complex ideas and simplifies them so that everyone can understand them. The western equivalent, "On War" by Clausewitz, is long and dated by comparison. All anyone quotes from "On War" are from the first few chapters such as "war is an extension of politics by other means." Other notable quotes including the "fog of war" is often misquoted as meaning a metaphorical fog for the military commander trying to figure out what is going on, but Clausewitz directly says that the fog of war is the actual smoke from musket fire that obscures the battlefield. Clausewitz was a must read for musket-style warfare, but his work is honestly dated at this point. Don't get me started on his chapters on logistics, all his studies into biscuits vs hardtack have no modern relevance.

Sun Tzu wrote a timeless work that has survived the centuries because it reduces concepts to their fundamentals. I would recommend Sun Tzu to anyone in the military or studying military history.
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

I'll tell you the truth... I don't think you'd expect it... I'm a fan of Deadpool comics, I've read hundreds of comics, countless really... When I saw Deadpool's Art of War, I thought I needed to read the original book, only to say "the book is better". Like when you compare a book to a movie. Just for that I read Sun Tzu's art of war... Yes, to understand Deadpool.
The Art of War was a book that surprised me because of the simple way in which it expresses ideas. I realized that many stories and wars are actually based on Sun Tzu's principles. It is definitely an exceptional book.
By the way, the version of Deadpool, yes it is a good parody.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I read this book to get back at one of my childhood rivals. It was silly of me, but at least I experienced great literature.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

I have heard it's a thought-provoking book, but I fail to start reading because we no longer are at war. so, my mind begs the question- why do people recommend this now?
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

One of the few classics I'm yet to read. I have heard a lot about it yet I haven't read it. I hope it is as good as they say it is.
Bradley Twesten
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: 2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD

Post by Bradley Twesten »

gemsbooknook wrote: 24 Jul 2016, 05:19 I remember reading this book during my high school years and I couldn't understand the fuss. After reading it as an adult I found a new respect for it.
I absolutely agree. The older you get and more life you experience, the more understandable Sun Tzu's teachings become.
Bradley Twesten
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: 2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD

Post by Bradley Twesten »

Ashna Tibrewal wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 03:18 I have heard it's a thought-provoking book, but I fail to start reading because we no longer are at war. so, my mind begs the question- why do people recommend this now?
The book can be related to lots of aspects of life, as long as you can think strategically and relate the content to politics, relationships, etc.

Return to “Classic Books”