Sun tzu's art of war

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ark200
Bookshelf Size: 0

Sun tzu's art of war

Post by ark200 »

this is the oldest military treaties in the world. this is actually a collection of essays on warfare by sun tzu, a Chinese general, who lived around 500 bc. it is translated from chinese into english by lionel giles. he added a commentary to it.

this book is about how to win any war. actually it is about how to conduct a war in order to win it. it mainly deals with the question : how a general should conduct his army to win any war? this is the central question.

sun tzu deals with this question in a unique way. he divided the entire question into 13 parts. they are:

1. laying plan
2. waging war
3.attack by stratagem
4.tactical disposition
5.energy
6.weak points and strong
7.maneuvering an army
8.variation in tactics
9.the army on the march
10.classification of terrain
11.the nine situation
12.the attack by fire
13.the use of spies

each of this 13 parts deals with some questions. actually the parts are so arranged as if an actual war has started.
Chapter 5 to 13 are further subdivided into parts. The chapter energy is divided into parts called energy and decision releases force. The chapter weak and strong points is divided 3 parts: subtlety and secrecy, seeking enemy’s weakness and tactics are fluid. The chapter maneuvering an army is divided into 3 parts : losing tactics, gongs, drums and strength and finally self possession and strength. Variation in tactics is divided in to 2 parts: flexible tactics and preparedness pays. The army on the march is divided into 4 parts: advantage of terrain, ambushes and spies, military intelligence and signs of significance. Chapter classification of terrain is divided into 2 parts: calamities due to error and test of good generalship. Chapter nine situation is divided into 8 parts: using terrain,tactics of skillfull leader, when troops fight hard,shuai jan tactics,courage and secrecy, in strange territory, principle of importance and accommodate the enemy. The attack by fire has one subsection: use of fire and water. The last but not least the use of spies is divided into 3 parts: class of spies, method of espionage and aim and end of spying.
first chapter is about laying plans. second chapter is about how to wage a war. war has started. chapter 3 to 12 deal with things that happen in the battleground. chapter 13 actually should come before laying plan because it deals with spies.

now lets see in more detail which chapter deals with what question. laying plan says about what are the factors that govern warfare. based on these factors victory and defeat can be predicted successfully. it also said what is the basis of all warfare: deception and what that means. actually these are the basics of warfare. thus the first chapter deals with the basic question.

second chapter waging war talks about what is the cost of war, why prolonged warfare is bad,what are the economic impact of warfare on a countries economy, how not to carry out warfare.

third attack by stratagem says about strategy. it deals with the following questions: what are the forms of generalship: best to worst, what moves a general should adapt based on ratio of size of his army to his enemy army, what are the 3 rules of misfortune and what are the essentials of victory.

tactical disposition deals with the following questions: what a good fighter should do,what offensive and defensive moves mean, what is the sign of a clever fighter, what a strategist should do etc.

The 5th chapter energy deals with the following questions in 2 parts. First part deals with : what are the 2 methods of attack and when to use which method, what onset of troop and quality of decision like. The second part deals with : how to keep enemy on the move, what a clever combatant looks at, what is the relation between energy and decision.

The 6th chapter weak point and strong point deals with the following questions in 3 parts. The 1st part, subtlety and secrecy deals with the following question: how to impose your will on your enemy, how to make them move according to your will, how to divide enemy’s army into small units and why enemy should be fragmented. The second part, seeking enemy’s weakness deals with the following question : how to find vulnerable spot of enemy, how to know strength and weakness of army and what you should do to make good tactical disposition. The 3rd part, tactics and fluid deals with the question: what is the nature of military tactics.

The 7th chapter maneuvaring army deals with the following questions in 3 parts. There are some general question such as: how to maneuver according to distance, what is the difficulties of maneuvaring and what is artifice of deviation. The first part, losing tactics deals with the question what are the losing tactics. The second part, gongs drums and bells deals with the following question when to use them and how to attack according to spirit of the army. The third part, self possession and strength deals with various arts. It answers the following questions: what is the art of retaining self possession, what is the art of husbandry, what is the art of studying circumstances and finally what is the art of warfare.

The 8th chapter is variation in tactics. In the beginning there is a general question as to how to vary tactics as per situation. It deals with following questions in 2 parts. First part, flexible tactics deals with the questions: what are benefit of flexible tactics, what are disadvantage of static tactics, how to seize an advantage, how to treat hostile chieftains. The 2nd part, preparedness pays deals with the question: what are the 5 faults of general.

The 9th chapter, the army on the march deals with the question of encamping army. Generally it deals with where to camp and how to attack enemy in the river. The entire chapter is divided into 4 parts. The 1st part deals with question what will be the advantageous part of a territory to encamp the army. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th part deal with several signs of enemy and what will be the meaning of those sign.

The 10th chapter, classification of terrain deals with the question what are different types of ground and how to win a battle in those ground generally. It has 2 parts. The 1st part says what are 6 calamities that arise from fault of a general and what are the results of those calamities. The 2nd part says what is the test of good generalship.

The 11th chapter, the nine situation states the following things: what are the types of grounds, how to secure victory in which ground, what are the tactics of a skilful warrior, what is the response of troops according to situation, what are the similarities between shui jan snake’s fighting style and good fighter, how to hide his plan from his own men, what are the important principle of war,and how to accommodate the enemy.
The 12th chapter, attack by fire states that what are the five ways of attacking by fire, what are the proper season and what are the five possible development by fire and some advices for conducting warfare in proper way.

The 13th and last chapter, the use of spies, states that why should we engage spies, what are the classes of spies, what are the methods of espionage and what is the aim of spying.

This is the full details of the book. Now the criticism.
The art of war can be divided into 2 broad groups: one deals with the duty of general. The other deals with the conduct of army. The second part is mainly limited to infantry part of army. It does not cover artillery, navy and air force. On the other hand the duty of general is universal. It is applicable to all generals. It never says anything about booby trap, mines, and other equipment of modern warfare. But the advice it gives to the generalship is applicable in this modern era.
This treaty does not mention anything about guerrilla warfare, shadow warfare, covert operation etc. These things were common in the time of sun tzu.
The last chapter on spying is quintessential to the Chinese art of war. Since nothing of the strategy or tactics can be employed without foreknowledge. Foreknowledge can only be gathered by spying.
The art of war opens up the mind of Chinese warriors. There are many war treaties but art of war is well known for its strategy part. It exerts importance on foreknowledge by means of spying which is unique in the world.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

In 500 B.C. a Chinese province was threatened with attack. King Hru called upon Sun Tzu for help since his province was much smaller and thus unable to field as many soldiers. Sun Tzu assured him that his smaller force could overcome the enemy's larger force because the quality, not the quantity of forces was the key to success.

King Hru mockingly pointed to his pampered and spoiled concubines who were lounging in the garden and said, "You say you can make anyone a soldier. Can you teach my concubines to be obedient soldiers?" Sun Tzu replied, "Of course."

He then separated the concubines into two groups placing each of the two most senior concubines in charge of one group each. He then placed a sword into the hands of each of the senior concubines and instructed them to order their group to attack and overcome the opposite group. All of the women including the "officers" just giggled or laughed out loud.

Sun Tzu then said, "Perhaps I did not make myself clear. Perhaps it is my fault that you do not respond to my order. Please allow me to repeat my instructions in very simple language. You officers - the two of you who hold the swords - are ordered by your general to lead your troops to battle and overcome the enemy group represented by the women you are facing in the opposite group."

Once again the women simply stood there giggling and laughing out loud.

Sun Tzu then turned and said to the king, "When the orders are not clear it is the fault of he who has issued the orders, but when the orders ARE clear it is the fault of the soldiers." and with this he lopped off the heads of the two concubine "officers" who failed to carry out their orders.

The women stopped laughing. In an instant they had learned to be obedient soldiers.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
gemsbooknook
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemsbooknook.html

Post by gemsbooknook »

I remember reading this book during my high school years and I couldn't understand the fuss. After reading it as an adult I found a new respect for it.
green4O
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-green4o.html

Post by green4O »

I am currently reading this book. From the reviews, I feel like it's one of those must-read books for anyone because it's principles can be applied even outside warfare. The opening story about the concubines sure is compelling and sets a very serious tone early on. Hopefully, I enjoy this one even if it's not the type of book I usually read.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I read this book for the first time a few months ago. I think that the strategies can be applied even when not in war, which is probably why it's a classic.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I just started reading this book, and I find it very good. I enjoy reading collections of essays, especially when they are so well-received. Books without a technical plot are some of my favorites.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

This post has inspired to put Art of War on my reading list. I've always had an aversion to war but I've reconsidered the usefulness. Thanks for enlightening me.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

The Art of War is an ancient Chinese military treatise dating from the 5th century BC. Attributed to the ancient Chinese military strategist Sun Tzu ("Master Sun", also spelled Sunzi) the text is composed of 13 chapters, each of which is devoted to one aspect of warfare. It is commonly thought of as a definitive work on military strategy and tactics. It was placed at the head of China's Seven Military Classics upon the collection's creation in 1080 by Emperor Shenzong of Song, and has long been the most influential strategy text in East Asia.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

gemsbooknook wrote:I remember reading this book during my high school years and I couldn't understand the fuss. After reading it as an adult I found a new respect for it.
It is brilliant in its simplicity. As kids, we usually wanted something complex.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

What I found the most interesting about this book, as someone who has military experience, is how applicable these tactics/treatise/etc are still to modern warfare. You can see some of the examples given and how they directly affect tactics and campaigns in previous wars as well. Extremely well done and informative.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Phenomenally clever book in my opinion. There's a lot of repeat sayings in different words, but a lot of his advice can be applied realistically, in life, in chess, in war, etc, and I loved the book for that. I think its a book that stands alongside books like Aesop's Fables for its timelessness and cleverness and advice in life.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
mangamancer
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by mangamancer »

I've just finished this yesterday. Great wisdom. Really Transcend Times.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

The Art of War offers great historical insight on the necessities required for great military leadership. A good portion of this book can used a contemporary guide for managing people and developing leadership skills.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

Just like @gemsbooknook, I've read this when I was in high school too. We're supposed to write a review on it and give our insight on how it can be applied in our lives. And I remember thinking, "How are we supposed to do that?" We don't go to war.
Then years later, when I started working, I realized that it can be applied in the work environment too and in our relationships with the people around us.
So, this is a very insightful book. Definitely a great and must read.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I read this amazing book long time ago. It is a classic and has lessons and ideas that are still relevant in todays life.

Return to “Classic Books”