Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Jane Ducala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Post by Sarah Jane Ducala »

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens is a captivating literary masterpiece set in 19th-century London. The novel follows the young protagonist, Oliver Twist, as he faces the challenges of poverty, crime, and social injustice. Dickens skillfully depicts the stark contrast between the wealthy elite and the impoverished lower class, shedding light on prevalent social issues of the time. The character development is exceptional, with Oliver representing innocence and hope amidst adversity, and supporting characters adding depth to the narrative. Dickens' rich writing style immerses readers in the gritty atmosphere of Victorian London, though the length and complexity of the novel may pose challenges for some. While the plot may have predictable moments, it aligns with the moral themes and social commentary Dickens aims to convey.

The heavy use of dialects and accents in the dialogue may divide readers, but it contributes to the authenticity of the characters and the setting. Despite minor criticisms, Oliver Twist remains a compelling work that explores poverty, crime, and morality, resonating with readers and emphasizing compassion, societal consequences, and human resilience. Overall, it is a timeless classic that deserves its place in literary history, offering insights into the complexities of Victorian society and the indomitable spirit of its characters.
SARITHA GOPALAKRISHNAN

Post by SARITHA GOPALAKRISHNAN »

The book that brings out the struggles of a young orphan Oliver. The plot entangles in such a manner that it takes the readers to a different level which is unpredictable.A must read novel which reveals the harsh reality of life.
liyifan
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by liyifan »

I think this is both an interesting adventure novel and an inspiring social novel. It makes us realize that we cannot ignore or tolerate inequality and evil in society, but rather strive to improve our own and others' lives.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I love this all time classic because Dickens is no doubt my all time favourite author. But its not just because of that I love the book. Its because the author captured very true picture of Victoria era. The time when there were so many interesting things going on for example new inventories, first ever train etc. But in the other hand, the poor society was suffering more and more, instead of glittering that entire era in his novel, Dickens portrayed what had to be!
The most peak moment in that novel, in my opinion was when Oliver is introduced to Fagin, a cunning and manipulative criminal who trains orphaned children as pickpockets. This encounter places Oliver in a dangerous world of crime. Thus, the author showed this side of the picture too!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Gbarrett
Currently Reading: Not the Same Water
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Gbarrett »

I read Oliver Twist when I was in school as a summer reading assignment. I've always enjoyed reading but I found the book difficult to get into. While I do understand why it's listed as a "Classic" and it touches on important topics that warrant discussions such as inequality, the style in which it's written is not my typical choice for reading. Mind you, I was about 12-13 at the time so take that into consideration. It is certainly on my list of books to give another chance.
Anusha Anil 1

Post by Anusha Anil 1 »

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens was a book we had to study when I was in Sixth grade and also the book which introduced me to the world of books. The story revolves around Oliver Twist an orphan who encounters setbacks in his search for happiness. Dickens satirises child labour, domestic violence
and involving street children in crimes.
A great book to read
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I read it for school work, it was interesting. Oliver's life is like the classic fairy tale: A boy suffers all his life and finds himself in possession of great fortune in the end.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Sampson Mimgba
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sampson Mimgba »

"Oliver Twist" is a classic novel by Charles Dickens, first published in 1837-1839. The story revolves around the life of a young orphan, Oliver Twist, who grows up in a workhouse and then runs away to London, where he becomes entangled in the world of crime and poverty.

The novel offers a scathing critique of the harsh social and economic conditions of 19th-century England, especially the treatment of orphans and the poor. Dickens uses Oliver's experiences to shed light on the exploitation of children and the stark disparities in wealth and privilege. Through memorable characters like Fagin, the Artful Dodger, and the kindly Mr. Brownlow, Dickens paints a vivid picture of Victorian society.

"Oliver Twist" is a story of innocence, survival, and the search for identity. It highlights the importance of compassion and empathy for the less fortunate and remains a powerful commentary on the human condition. The novel's enduring popularity is a testament to its timeless themes and Dickens's skill as a storyteller and social critic.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

This is an intriguing adventure book that, in my opinion, is also a motivational social book. It helps us understand that rather than ignoring or tolerating injustice and evil in society, we should work to improve both our own and other people's lives.
Ruth Andanje
Currently Reading: Women with Partners in Prison
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-andanje.html
Latest Review: The One by Tyler Cook
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Ruth Andanje »

I think it was after I watched the movie Spud that's when I decided to give Oliver Twist a chance. I enjoyed it as much as the play, it was a really huge part of my childhood.
Latest Review: The One by Tyler Cook
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

Oliver Twist by Charles Dicken is a very intriguing book i read it as a teenager i really loved the story line and the way characters were built . The young orphan boy's character was so fascinating. Dickens did a very good job.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Oliver Twist is one very interesting and funny classical book I have ever read.
Nikiema yaser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Nikiema yaser »

I read when I was a child still love like reading it
PAMELA MUGENI
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by PAMELA MUGENI »

I read this book and sympathize with Oliver It shows how orphaned children are manipulated simply because they have no other alternative but to condon to bitter circumstances. Oliver twist asked for more and it caused him problems

Return to “Classic Books”