Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lourdesinwonderland
Currently Reading: The Dark Half
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lourdesinwonderland.html

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

Post by lourdesinwonderland »

This book is the classical Pirates novel that has inspired many movies and further stories. It contains every aspect of the typical pirate life: adventures, a hidden treasure, a man with a parrot as a pet, and a nasty betrayal. For us who've seen many movies or read similar tales it can be predictable, but I found it highly enjoyable just the same. The predictability of it was to me what expressed most of its beauty.

It's a classic of the same author that wrote The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and the descriptions of the characters and the dialogues employed to relate the events occurred between each other made the plot even more interesting with the highly detailed environments, such as the different parts of the ship and the island. Besides, the element of the typical informal language used between the pirates gave the reader more reasons to inmerse him or herself in the story, transporting him into ancient times when the man used to grow hungry for treasure-hunting.

The action never ceases to appear, and the speed of it catches the reader's eye until the very end. It's recommended to every one who enjoys classic novels, or would like to start reading them. It's a fine way to start, with a light plot and easy-going characters. Like I said before, it's predictable, but it's the predictability of it what attracts the reader onto its pages, and the open ending concerning one of the characters leaves place for one's imagination to wander about what happened to him.

Rating: 4/5
Thanks for reading!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Classic Books”