The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
beckybrandon
Currently Reading: Summer of the Second Coming
Bookshelf Size: 43

Re: The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Post by beckybrandon »

I read this book a few months ago. And I absolutely loved it. It really felt like I was with that old man on the boat during his epic struggle with the greatest catch of his life.
Chothi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 142

Post by Chothi »

The old man and the sea is still one of my favourite books. I felt every emotion and episode while reading it. I absolutely love it.
PughJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pughj.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by PughJ »

A while back I decided to start reading some of the classics and this book made me realize how much I enjoy Hemingway's work. There's something about the tragedy he tends to revolve around that always captures my attention. I am planning on getting a copy to reread it soon.
Alejandra Jimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Alejandra Jimenez »

This book is one of my favorites from my childhood.

The first time I read it I was 8 years old and my mom gave it to me for my birthday.

It is a story that grabs you from start to finish.

Simply wonderful!
Noblefausty101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noblefausty101.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Noblefausty101 »

The book is not so great, though it surely portrays strength and a cool act of rising up at every failure.
abdallah adel 1
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by abdallah adel 1 »

I've not known that there's a movie made from this book -As i'm 23- Kinda frightening i didn't watch it yet.
Mpilis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mpilis »

Hemingway is not one of my favorite writers, although I sometimes read him, because I understand well that the name means something more than the name of just a writer, and his "The Old Man and the Sea" also spilled over the edges of the usual work. Together with an old man, a boy, a trout for 1200 and Fidel Castro.

The only thing that I consider it my duty, after another fruitless reading of this, fortunately very short, work, is to personally enter into a similar dialogue with another dried roach, which, to its credit, always answers me and snaps, gradually losing its fins and tail and other attributes of your fish body.
A digestible text, in fact, will not surprise anyone, since this is an indispensable feature of any Nobel laureate. As for the deep meaning, then, as the classic said, world literature basically consists of the nonsense that the critics invented. The Old Man and the Sea is a prime example of this. A solid atmospheric story, which does not at all pretend to higher recognition, however, clearly indicated that the main thing is not the text at all. If desired, from any regular Eliza Doolittle, it is quite easy to get another star.

So I'm not going to engage in pathoanatomical selection, to find out where the cult of Hemingway is, and where there is really literature. Someone defined the position of writers who went into a difficult life for commercial purposes as intermediate, between armchair authors and those who endured everything in their own skin. I don’t see any golden mean here, and this rather large cohort will never wait for either sympathy or admiration from me.

Therefore, I cannot take "The Old Man and the Sea" seriously, even if this work was really full of artistic meaning. Having read five books by this author, I can only single out "To have or not to have." And that is only because this work is different from the heroic theme that the journalist Hemingway once saddled.
And "The Old Man and the Sea" is essentially a story. maybe someone will see something unusual there. Or fantasize, which is also useful.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

I read the book years ago and practically fell asleep after a few words in. I tried rereading the book several times over the years with the same effect. I have come to the conclusion that the book is the ultimate bore.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

One of the best classics of all time. I'm rereading this book immediately. I loved the author.

Return to “Classic Books”