Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hafeezblove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Post by Hafeezblove »

With a background of lower middle class in ASia, and studying in an Urdu medium school, the only entertainment in 1980s for us, used to be the national tv channel with very limited watch time for certain age segments. So we watched .. return to treasure island, airwolf , knight rider, chips, power of methew star.. enjoyed alot, and when in college life, i bumped into this wonderful piece by swift, "Gulliver's travels" it took me back to the fantasies of childhood.. The novel is so engaging and interesting that I couldn't refrain from reading it 4 hours a day. It's funny and humourous as well, especially when the writer elaborated and exaggerates events like those of feeding by dwarfs, and the tiny ships of enemies being taken away like toys by Gulliver. Then the giant bird attacking Gulliver etc etc. I. Nutshell, the writer seems to be communicating the diversified biodiversity, life and cultures within. It says " the world is full of entirely different worlds" . Some way or another, to me it resembles another classic novel about return to antilop
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

The idea to read this book came to me when I saw a man in the park with this book in his hand and abandoned himself in all totality to the reading of this book. He was basically devouring every single page he read. This event made me buy this book. I found it interesting enough and captivated me as much as "Alice in Wonderland", a book that I was absolutely crazy about. To me, this was a book that introduced me to a magical world with unconventional events, a world that every child is looking for. If I were to have read this book in my adolescent years it probably wouldn't've impressed me as much.

Return to “Classic Books”