The Man in the Iron Mask

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

The Man in the Iron Mask

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I just finished reading The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas and I am disappointed. I have already read all the other books in the series and I think this one might actually be the worst.
The beginning of the story was exciting and well paced but towards the second half of the book I felt like the story was just getting stretched out and I wanted to finish the book. Although I like how Dumas wrapped up everything in the very end.
There were a few things that annoyed me in this novel. One thing I didn't like was the fact that some characters that were so important in the beginning just disappear in the second half. I also couldn't wrap my head around the fallout of Aramis' plan regarding the king. The whole thing seemed like just a waste of time and effort.
Now that I'm done with this book I think I'm going to watch the movie since some people say that the movie was better.
I'd love to hear your opinions on the book or the movie. :D
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I read the book too. I was so disappointed that Aramis' plan failed too. I was even more disappointed with D'Artaggon siding with the King. I think for me the whole story ended with the King's twin ending back in the iron mask and forgotten.
The movie however, makes it a happily ever after affair. So I guess watching the movie after reading the book made me feel better.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Oh bummer! The title is so catchy and here I thought I had found a great book to read. Thank you for the heads up.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I'm sorry you didn't like the book. I read a lot of Dumas when I was about 14, and I remember it being exciting and romantic. Have you tried The Queen's Necklace? I would do that before falling back on a Hollywood version of literature.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

djr6090 wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 08:07 I'm sorry you didn't like the book. I read a lot of Dumas when I was about 14, and I remember it being exciting and romantic. Have you tried The Queen's Necklace? I would do that before falling back on a Hollywood version of literature.
Do the three musketeers feature in this book as well? They will definitely be the reason that I would want to read The Queen's Necklace .
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Yes, they do. You will also read more about why D'Artagnan is so devoted to the young king. I won't spoil it for you. And don't miss Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

djr6090 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 09:37 Yes, they do. You will also read more about why D'Artagnan is so devoted to the young king. I won't spoil it for you. And don't miss Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.
Oh wow! Thanks for the recommendations djr6090! I look forward to reading them.
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

I haven't read this.

May your comments give me direction, fellow readers.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Yeah. I found it had the same problem. It really grabbed my attention at first, but the plotline went downhill from there.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Yes, I too agree to that book seem to be disappointing. the story was getting stretched and it didn't raise up the curiosity.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Magnify3 wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 02:17 I read the book too. I was so disappointed that Aramis' plan failed too. I was even more disappointed with D'Artaggon siding with the King. I think for me the whole story ended with the King's twin ending back in the iron mask and forgotten.
The movie however, makes it a happily ever after affair. So I guess watching the movie after reading the book made me feel better.
Wow! I have such fond memories of it. I watched the movie adaptation, and it was as you said, a nice one. I didn't even know there was a book of it let alone a series. But thanks for the heads up. Now I definitely won't be reading the book.
:techie-reference:
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html

Post by zainherb »

djr6090 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 09:37 Yes, they do. You will also read more about why D'Artagnan is so devoted to the young king. I won't spoil it for you. And don't miss Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.
Thanks for the recommendations. I will look for these to read. I look forward to reading them.
:techie-reference:
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

This is a book that I always wanted to read. The movie with Dicaprio is fantastic. How sad that you didn't like it.
Dunstan Brooks
Favorite Author: Langston Hughes
Favorite Book: The Ways of White Folks
Currently Reading: The Measure of a Man
Bookshelf Size: 798
fav_author_id: 2732

Post by Dunstan Brooks »

It is a great book to read. It's also a very good film to watch. One of the few times when the film is actually satisfying to those who have read the book. Not because it sticks so closely to the novel, but because it just is.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

Your review saved me the time of reading this one. I will also go for the movie rather than the book then.

Return to “Classic Books”