Sherlock Holmes Canon by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Sherlock Holmes Canon by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I really enjoy the plot of Sherlock Holmes, even though I mainly watched the movies and series of Sherlock Holmes. I would agree that it is a very successful classic.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

My parents had a Sherlock Holmes collection and I read the entire thing years ago. The relationship between Watson and Holmes is very nice. Nice to read about men getting along with one another and working together. I don't recall every reading that Holmes kept opium in his slipper - I heard that once. Someone said it was in the stories and if it was, I don't recall it. Holmes seemed sometimes absentminded in his drive and Watson seemed to be there to help him keep his hold on reality, in some weird way.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
mpsmaster
Favorite Book: Think and grow rich
Currently Reading: As a Man Thinketh
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpsmaster.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by mpsmaster »

I love the observing vs the see approach that Holmes discus with Watson."What do you see when you look at the stairs, Watson? Well, a see stair, Watson replay. That's the problem, when I look at the stairs I see 17 step. I observed you just saw."
“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”
ladyluvsbooks29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ladyluvsbooks29 »

Holmes and Watson have this dynamic that is complex yet very intriguing and entertaining. I like how the differences in how they observe/see things..their methods of how they come to their conclusions. Loved reading their stories.
Rave4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave4.html
Latest Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by Rave4 »

Bobbylou Chandler wrote: 30 May 2016, 03:42 Sherlock Holmes is definitely a classic. What I found about the Holmes stories is that I enjoyed the short stories featuring him more than the novels, whereas the opposite is true for Agatha Christie's Poirot. I liked "the adventure of the speckled band" (which actually gave me some nightmares when I was younger), "silver blaze" and "the adventure of dancing men". Novel-wise I would pick A Study in Scarlet.
Yeah. I also enjoyed the short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes better than the novels
RKeinath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkeinath.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Pillars: Water & Fire by Sanzaki Kojika

Post by RKeinath »

I must admit that I love the writings of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. His Sherlock Holmes mysteries are some of my favorites as he builds the mystery and the characters as well. One of the short stories that stands out in my mind that is absolutely mind boggling to me is The Five Orange Pips, but the twists it takes and the writing style is so engaging. Strangely, I have not found the Sherlock Holmes novels yet, only collections of the short stories.
Mohammad_Iqbal
Favorite Author: James E Doucette
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammad-iqbal.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 117197

Post by Mohammad_Iqbal »

For me, Sherlock Holmes is the reason I started reading books. my first novel which I read was The Hound of the Baskervilles. That brought me into reading the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and here.
Nikowl7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikowl7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nikowl7 »

I started re-reading the Sherlock Holmes books after years and I really cannot stop! Doyle's stories are by far the best! Love them!
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 19:29 My parents had a Sherlock Holmes collection and I read the entire thing years ago. The relationship between Watson and Holmes is very nice. Nice to read about men getting along with one another and working together. I don't recall every reading that Holmes kept opium in his slipper - I heard that once. Someone said it was in the stories and if it was, I don't recall it. Holmes seemed sometimes absentminded in his drive and Watson seemed to be there to help him keep his hold on reality, in some weird way.
You are right. Holmes never kept opium in the Persian slipper hanging from the mantelpiece - it was only tobacco. Holmes does disguise himself and hang out in an opium den in one of the stories though. I forget which one. Maybe it was The Man With The Twisted Lip ???
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

This is the series and the standard set by tge series that helped modern day detective series. However,Non can match the standard set by Sir Arther Conan Doyle with his legendary characters, Shirlock Homes and Mr Watson.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

DATo

You are right. Holmes never kept opium in the Persian slipper hanging from the mantelpiece - it was only tobacco. Holmes does disguise himself and hang out in an opium den in one of the stories though. I forget which one. Maybe it was The Man With The Twisted Lip ???

I'm not sure which story that would have been, when he went undercover, but - the tobacco would have totally made sense as he was always smoking a pipe, or at least puffing on one. I sometimes wondered whether or not I had read the "edited" version of the story! I'm glad someone else recalls it the same way I do!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html

Post by Sithmi »

Sherlock Holmes books are very interesting. People from any age group could read them. It alsways makes the readers curious.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html

Post by Archaeoptery »

I have a 1k page book centered around him, I have 0 regrets on buying it.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

lanaholiday wrote: 28 May 2016, 01:10 This is one of my favorite books of all time! To me, the genius of Conan Doyle cannot be rivaled. I especially liked the depth of the characters, and the parts where Sherlock Holmes really showed how much he cared for Dr. John Watson. Their relationship is just absolutely riveting. The best part of all of his stories and novels, however, is the brilliance of Sherlock's deductions. The explanations and clever ideas written into the stories by Arthur Conan Doyle are together an immeasurable feat of intelligence. Every story is planned out with details, even the smallest of details that are woven in with skill to finally come together in the end and create a whole picture. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves mystery books or just plain classics! :)

There's actually a documentary I think the BBC did on Sherlock. It pretty much gave a history of Doyle's stories and how Sherlock's deductive reasoning and analysis of evidence from the crime scenes is what they modeled Scotland Yard after. Or rather, they took these principles and applied them to Scotland Yard's code of conduct. It was very interesting! I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but I'm fairly certain it was on Netflix.
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Sherlock Holmes is something I started reading when I was still fairly young. Probably around grade six or seven. I will never forget the first one I read. The Hound of The Baskervilles, I could believe how well written it was. His writing was so unique to anything I had ever read that by the time I went into grade nine I had read all his work. When I was in grade ten I had to read a biography for class and I went straight to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I had learned so much about his writing style that I finally understood how he created such interest catching literary works.

Return to “Classic Books”