Sherlock Holmes Canon by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lovely359
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Sherlock Holmes Canon by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by Lovely359 »

It is interesting to think of Moriarty as a "super villain," probably one of the most evil nemesis of all time, his intellect was rivaled only by Holmes and his wealth/ status gave him means by which he could execute his plans. It was also fitting in my opinion that he would be the one to "end" Sherlock Holmes. Even though I can never get enough of Sherlock, it would have been a great ending for our favorite detective. (But yes I'm glad he survived, although there's a fan theory that Watson made up the rest of the stories because he was filled with guilt and distress over his friend's death)
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Sherlock Holmes is and will always be a classic like no other. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle really outdid himself with this one. The best thing about it is that anyone regardless of age can enjoy these books.
Vinitkedar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vinitkedar »

I have only read about half of the Sherlock Holes stories, so far I love them!
The brilliance of Arthur Conan Doyle is shown through the character of Sherlock Holmes, who is brilliant beyond all explanation. These stories will continue to be classics for generations to come.
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

Sherlock Holmes is hands down the best written piece of work. I would like to go back in time and just try to understand the mind of the author who managed to dish out such a masterpiece.
How do you express yourself so artistically and beautifully? It cannot be done by mere mortals like us.
I sometimes go over the same lines repeatedly marvelling at it's brilliance.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I really need to read more of the original canon because I've enjoyed the parts of the canon I have read and there is so much of it.

However, I do remember skimming one of the Reader's Digest Holmes books my grandparents that had a kind of uncomfortable passage where Watson, and by extension Doyle, seem to be racist. Combined with the fact his writing on the Boer Wars was got him his knighthood, it really makes me wonder about Doyle.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I love the Sherlock Holmes Stories. I once made a table calculating Sherlocks age in every case so I could piece them all toguether in a chronologival order... of course I didn't finish but it was a entertaining hobby.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

I discovered the Sherlock Holmes canon about four years ago after watching the Granada adaptation with Jeremy Brett. I had grown up with Holmes all my life, I knew who the character was, being so iconic in film and television, but reading the original stories, seeing where all the inspiration came from, opened my eyes to the genius of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of crime fiction must have the Sherlock Holmes stories on their shelf, it is a must-have.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Sherlock Holmes has always been my favorite mystery book. I just love it!
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I really love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as well. Each one of his works has been elegantly crafted to give the reader maximum pleasure and that's exactly what you get. His books are a real treat.
coffeeteal
Currently Reading: The Grand
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B07RB71NTN

Post by coffeeteal »

I've really enjoyed reading and watching Sherlock Holmes. There is truly no other match for it. It is amazing to know the beauty of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's thinking, wit and imagination so ahead of our times and he still continues to amaze us. Hats off to him.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

coffeeteal wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 02:47 I've really enjoyed reading and watching Sherlock Holmes. There is truly no other match for it. It is amazing to know the beauty of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's thinking, wit and imagination so ahead of our times and he still continues to amaze us. Hats off to him.
I couldn't agree with you more. I for one always wondered how fertile his imagination was. To think that he had written about Sherlock between the late 19th century early 20th century and still can be enjoyed today.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I loved the book so much. I was hooked. After re-reading it many times I am now listening as an audio book. I chuckle myself imagining the scenes :D :D
paulkinyuao+

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

My fingers grow ecstatic as I type this.

I read The sherlock holmes stories before my career in forensics. It's fascinating the proximity of truth it accomplishes. And on a less academic perspective, it lives on, as the few and good.
Masque3323
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Masque3323 »

I never realized just how many short stories were in the Sherlock Holmes canon until I went to read more Sherlock. I can't wait to dive into them. Sherlock & Holmes are such a fascinating pair. I absolutely love the depth & detail found in the stories & how utterly enjoyable they are.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I love Doyle's stories! My favorite story is the one about the Dancing Men.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!

Return to “Classic Books”