Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - Potential Spoiler Alert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Re: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - Potential Spoiler Alert

Post by Leyla Ann »

Yeah I totally agree with you.
Weirdly enough, I have also liked Tilney's character that was displayed in the second movie adaptation; I believe it was a 2007 adaptation.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Of the works by Austen that I have read, Northanger Abbey was my least favorite because it seemed to lack much character development and I think there wasn’t enough interaction between the Catherine and Henry. But I do like her illustration of how much trouble you can get in by letting your imagination run away with you (and I will say that Catherine had developed by the end of the book, and I did enjoy this novel, just not as much as the others I’ve read).
-Thea M. Frederick
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

I enjoyed reading Northanger Abbey, but it doesn't even hold a candle to Pride and Prejudice. I found the heroin to be too juvenile and naive.
Lazzarotto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lazzarotto »

To me this is one of the best works of Auten (losing only to Pride and Prejudice). The irony is just amazing and she is so elegantly sarcastic. I gained a whole new apprecitation for her after reading it.

Return to “Classic Books”