Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julez_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Julez_ »

Ken Follett's historical fiction series, The Kingsbridge Trilogy, which includes The Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, and A Column of Fire, is an engrossing and captivating journey through pivotal moments in English history. Set in the fictional town of Kingsbridge, the trilogy focuses on the construction of a cathedral and the lives of those connected to it, spanning across generations. With intricate storytelling, well-researched historical details, and unforgettable characters, Follett crafts a rich tapestry of love, power, ambition, and betrayal. :lol2:
Julez_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Julez_ »

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy are a captivating and enchanting journey through the mythical world of Middle-earth. Following the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, Frodo Baggins, and their companions, these stories transport readers to a realm filled with magic, epic battles, and unforgettable characters.
khalilnezhadr
Currently Reading: Smart Money
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khalilnezhadr.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by khalilnezhadr »

I suggest reading Jane Austen's brilliant satire "Pride and Prejudice," which mocks 19th-century English society. The narrative follows the five Bennet sisters as they negotiate relationships, marriages, and societal norms. The characters are well depicted, with Elizabeth Bennet standing out as a protagonist who is exceptionally resilient and self-reliant. Sharp remarks on cultural norms and gender roles show off Austen's wit. The novel is a classic that never fails to enthrall readers with its social satire, humor, and romance.
It is a cherished classic that has been read and cherished for many years. The book's ongoing appeal is a testament to Austen's talent as a writer and her capacity to convey the subtleties of interpersonal interactions. Everyone can enjoy "Pride and Prejudice," whether they are lured in by the romance, the humor, or the social satire.
Muhammad Behram Hassan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Muhammad Behram Hassan »

recently i read To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee is a poignant and powerful classic that explores themes of racial injustice, morality, and the loss of innocence. Set in 1930s Alabama, the novel follows Scout Finch, a young girl whose father, Atticus, defends an innocent African American man accused of rape. Through Scout's eyes, the story sheds light on the deep-rooted prejudices and social divisions of the time. Lee's lyrical prose and compelling characters make this book an enduring masterpiece that confronts readers with the complexities of humanity and the importance of compassion.
Daniel Lopez 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-lopez-10.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady

Post by Daniel Lopez 10 »

"Les miserables" by Victor Hugo, always will be my go for it recomendation on classics books, I read it Twice , I have done that with few books, and each time I enjoyed it a lot, I also recomend "Oliver Twist" but "Les mierables " is still my favorite.
:tiphat: DAN PUNK
Faizullah Amiri

Post by Faizullah Amiri »

it was a great book for kids who are trying to learn something new a help full with alot of good information .
Marquesa
Favorite Book: A Promised Land
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquesa.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Marquesa »

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo is one of the greatest novels of all time. Fight for justice and good. The book discusses moral values and how it is not easy to get rid of bad past.
Ofir Shatz
Currently Reading: Waterworks
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Ofir Shatz »

Well, there are so many...so I'll start with one.
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas, is a real gem, which I first read in my childhood, and I still return to, from time to time. This marvelous history novel is set against the time period from Napoleon's exile in Elba, and many years later. It is a story of adventure, greed, jealousy, evil, conspiracy, crime, injustice, dispair, hope, love, hate, and much more, but mostly of REVENGE. The novel has been loved by many, and was adapted into many different movie and tv series versions.
An interesting anecdote is that when another classic french author - Jules Verne issued his novel "Mathias Sandorf", he sent a copy to his friend, Alexandre Dumas fils (the son) for review, with a letter attached to it, in which he dedicated the book to him and to his genious father, saying - "I have tried to make of Mathias Sandorf the Monte Cristo of the Extraordinary Voyages." And, indeed, Verne's "Mathias Sandorf", which has become a classic in itself, is similar in many ways to "Monte Cristo", but that is a subject for a another post.
zach_lee

Post by zach_lee »

I'm currently reading "The Time Machine" and loving it. I think the way Wells leaves the characters unnamed helps draw you into the story. By purposely leaving the descriptions vague, he allows you to create your own. You become a part of the story rather than just an observer.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I love the way Charles Dickens writes. I mean, it is so out of this world! His books like Great Expectations, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, and Oliver Twist.. not a chance to forget them including on your wishlist.

Other than him, Thomas Hardy's style is somewhat different and serene. His book Far From the Madding Crowd is so promising and truly a classic. It feels like you're wandering around in nature. It is so cool!

I love the male characters written by Jane Austen. They are so natural and realistic. Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, Wentworth from Persuasion , so natural!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Emmanuel Sunday 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Emmanuel Sunday 15 »

ryan2 wrote: 13 Sep 2009, 02:27 The Sea Wolf by Jack London is largely a book of two battling philosophies. A "gentleman," meaning a man who doesn't have to work to feed himself, is aboard a ship which sinks in a thick fog. In the confusion of the escape of the ship's terrified passengers, Humphrey finds himself alone swimming aimlessly in some direction or other. Before his life is allowed to expire in the cold San Fransisco harbor, he is found by a passing sealing ship. The captain decides to scoup up this drowning man and forces him to serve on his ship to replace a dead crewman. The captain of this sealing vessel is the Sea Wolf Larson who lives by the law of the strong thrive because they oppress the weak. Staged on this vessel of hell as the crewmen come to think of it is the test of the rules of civilized life. What is justice? What is good? What is evil? Is life really a good thing? Humphrey defends the virtues of civilization in face of the heartless demonstrations by the merciless Sea Wolf Larson.
"The Sea Wolf" by Jack London is a gripping and intense adventure novel that explores themes of survival, power dynamics, and the clash between civilization and primal instincts. Set against the backdrop of the sea, it follows the journey of Humphrey Van Weyden, who finds himself aboard a sealing schooner captained by the enigmatic and ruthless Wolf Larsen. The novel delves into the complexities of human nature and the struggle for dominance in a harsh and unforgiving environment. With its vivid characters and thought-provoking narrative, "The Sea Wolf" remains a classic in the world of literature.
Emmanuel Sunday 15
Currently Reading:

ryan2 wrote: 13 Sep 2009, 02:27 The Sea Wolf by Jack London is largely a book of two battling philosophies. A "gentleman," meaning a man who doesn't have to work to feed himself, is aboard a ship which sinks in a thick fog. In the confusion of the escape of the ship's terrified passengers, Humphrey finds himself alone swimming aimlessly in some direction or other. Before his life is allowed to expire in the cold San Fransisco harbor, he is found by a passing sealing ship. The captain decides to scoup up this drowning man and forces him to serve on his ship to replace a dead crewman. The captain of this sealing vessel is the Sea Wolf Larson who lives by the law of the strong thrive because they oppress the weak. Staged on this vessel of hell as the crewmen come to think of it is the test of the rules of civilized life. What is justice? What is good? What is evil? Is life really a good thing? Humphrey defends the virtues of civilization in face of the heartless demonstrations by the merciless Sea Wolf Larson.
"The Sea Wolf" by Jack London is a gripping and intense adventure novel that explores themes of survival, power dynamics, and the clash between civilization and primal instincts. Set against the backdrop of the sea, it follows the journey of Humphrey Van Weyden, who finds himself aboard a sealing schooner captained by the enigmatic and ruthless Wolf Larsen. The novel delves into the complexities of human nature and the struggle for dominance in a harsh and unforgiving environment. With its vivid characters and thought-provoking narrative, "The Sea Wolf" remains a classic in the world of literature.
Emmanuel Sunday 15
Currently Reading:

Thanks for that wonderful review
Super md

Post by Super md »

The Sea Wolf" by Jack London is a gripping and intense adventure novel that explores themes of survival, power dynamics, and the clash between civilization and primal instincts. Set against the backdrop of the sea, it follows the journey of Humphrey Van Weyden, who finds himself aboard a sealing schooner captained by the enigmatic and ruthless Wolf Larsen. The novel delves into the complexities of human nature and the struggle for dominance in a harsh and unforgiving environment. With its vivid characters and thought-provoking narrative, "The Sea Wolf" remains a classic in the world of literature.
Yekinni Kayorde

Post by Yekinni Kayorde »

I did not agree with the Tuggernaut.crime and punishment is a complex classical book but I love it.

Return to “Classic Books”