Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fernanda061192
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Fernanda061192 »

Papa Goriot, broke my heart!
Pioneers2033

Post by Pioneers2033 »

I love classic books. Especially classic narrative histories like The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

My favorite book is Frankenstein. There is no other movie like it in terms of content. So if you have the opportunity to read this book, you will have many surprises. This work is made to reflect. There is not the fight of the "good character" against the "bad character". It is the circumstances that define the characters that go down different paths.
When someone asks me to recommend a classic, I always mention Frankenstein. Although of course, if I know the tastes of the person well, I could recommend more.
Another very good book is Dracula. It doesn't have a good film adaptation either, but it has had better luck. The written version will always be better because there is no narrator, it is the texts written by the different characters that form the story. And that is a very special touch in this book. Not every author is encouraged to write from the minds of various characters, of different ages and characteristics. Dracula is a book that I value very much.
I know these aren't exactly book summaries, but it's rare that someone hasn't heard of these classic characters. The important thing about these books is their narrative quality. I would recommend these books to any reader and anyone who wants to be a writer alike.
Salina Sizemore
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Salina Sizemore »

I think simple and not complicated is the best reading that’s what I look for in a book,simple and sweet I can understand what I’m reading and can get really interested in my book. If I start reading a book that Hasent gotten my kind of understanding and my kind of simple words than I get board and put it down
Salina Sizemore
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude

Post by Salina Sizemore »

Classic books are sometimes the best like gone with the wind I love snuggling up with gone with the wind when I can’t or don’t have to go all day long,when it’s snowing out and really bad wether sitting by the fire place reading a classic book in the winter with a Shaw on is my safe haven
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

What Is a Classic Novel? 3 Key Elements of a Classic Novel

From Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick to modern classics like George Orwell’s 1984 and J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, classic novels share certain characteristics that attract readers from generation to generation. Here are some common characteristics of a classic novel:

1. A memorable protagonist: Classic works of literature usually share a common element: a memorable main character. From Elizabeth Bennet in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice to the title character in Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre, classic books feature central characters with vivid, distinct personalities and strong points of view about the world around them. These characters often serve as the reader’s eyes and ears, providing a compelling vessel through which to observe the events of the novel.2. Exploration of the human experience: Many books become classics because they say something profound and eternal about the human condition. Whether it’s the coming-of-age story of Holden Caulfield in J.D. Salinger’s first novel The Catcher in the Rye or the themes of social and class struggles in Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations, classic novels and short stories tend to express a universal truth about how humans perceive the world around them.3. A richness that rewards multiple readings: In Italo Calvino’s book Why Read the Classics?, the author attempts to answer the question of what makes a book a classic. He points out that the classics are often the books people reread. Classical literature begs to be read multiple times, revealing new depth and meaning upon each subsequent reading. Reading To Kill a Mockingbird as a young person for the first time might cause you to identify with Scout, a curious kid trying to make sense of the complex world around her. However, as you graduate high school and transition into adulthood, another reading of this particular piece of literature might cause you to latch onto Atticus, a man trying to protect his children while grappling with the moral ambiguity of society. Either way, a true classic of literary fiction can be read and reread, demonstrating new layers each time.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

When I think of my favorite books, I would recommend you all to read the book "Blindness" by Jose Saramago, "Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez. These are all the books that I could not detach myself from until I finished reading them.
Ruqayyah Rafeeq
Favorite Book: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Currently Reading: The Fine Print
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruqayyah-rafeeq.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruqayyah Rafeeq »

I know it is a classic, but I would not read "Breakfast At Tiffany's", I enjoy having the book be a part of my collection. However, the character in the book has no likable qualities like Audrey did in the film. I was aggravated through most of the book.
Venera1-

Post by Venera1- »

Before recommending any classic book that I have read and reread I also want to let you know why I love that certain book and what new information I have learned from that book

Being a reader and someone who studies literature definitely widened my reading and understanding abilities but at the same time formed a constructive critical point of view and praise towards any book and especially classic which are my favourites.

Jane Austen's "Emma". The indirect discourse (indirect discourse it uses narrator's words and character's thoughts, if you wonder what that is) found in this novel was something new to me but also the portrayal of the characters and especially the main one is what I love.
Additionally “Pride and Prejudice” is also one of my favourites. While it being a romance novel it's highly ironic and comic. Indirect discourse is also found in there.

Sir Walter Scott's "Rob Roy" and "Ivanhoe" are my favourites too.
"Rob Roy" is the origin story of Robin Hood and it being a historical novel (A historical novel talks about events that took place in a certain time in the past but it fictionalizes them. Some of the events and characters are real, others are fictional, historical reality + imaginary stories) is what stuck with me. Historical novel was created by Scott. Additionally "Ivanhoe" is also a historical novel but what I loved the most was love as a theme found in the triangle between Rowena, Wilfred(Ivanhoe), Rebecca.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is definitely one of my all times favourites.
It being a gothic novel with mystery, thriller, science fiction, and so much more.
Starting from the narrative structure of the book being a triangular narrative (meaning there are three narrators, the first narrator is Walton, the book is an epistolary novel (meaning written in letters) than he meets Victor and Victor is the second narrator in the novel(embedded one because Victor's narrative is within Walton's narrative and the third narrator is the Creature also an embedded narrator in Victor's narrative)
After reading the author's biography you see similarities of her life portrayed in the book. I love to dig deeper on the books I read especially with classic. And the portrayal of Victor's characters is what takes the attention. He pursues science for selfish reasons for creating something new that no one had before. In a way he challenges God by assuming his role in creating life Which he does but his creation is the reason to him losing his loved ones, and causing his own death at the end and seeing him being resembled to Modern Prometheus is also interesting to me.

If you find any of these helpful lucky me. If you have read these, I suggest you reread them from another point of view. If you haven't read them, you definitely should.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

All these books are amazing, and I picked a couple of new ones to read. I thought to contribute an underrated classic which deserves as much love as all these. The Waves by Virginia Wolf. it is an astonishingly beautiful and poetic novel, following the life of 6 pivotal characters. It is quite underrated compared to other works by Wolf, but a classic none the less.
nasirhossain

Post by nasirhossain »

I recently read Fyodyr Dostoyevsky's paragon of classic Russian literature, Crime and Punishment. The protagonist of the novel is a young intellectual student who resides in St. Petersburg, named Raskolnikov.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

read Rebecca, It's a beauty of a boo with a plot twist, mystery, and romance all in one. It's my first and favourite classical book.
Rosie Ziarnik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosie-ziarnik.html
Latest Review: Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rosie Ziarnik »

My favorite novels in the "classic" genre is the Little House on the Prairieseries and anything written by Jane Austen, such as Pride and Prejudice, or Persuasion.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I love the classics. Especially Jane Austen's works. My absolute favorite is Persuasion closely followed by Pride and Prejudice.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I would recommend The Alchemist and pride and prejudice. These books are nothing short of gems.

Return to “Classic Books”