Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nadeem yasin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by nadeem yasin »

I have just finished Pride and Prejudice novel. It is a great novel in classic series.
Willow Dunn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willow-dunn.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Willow Dunn »

One of my resolutions is to reread those classics that I don't remember anymore. I started with One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Marquez. It is a fascinating experience to dive back into a book after several years. :techie-studyinggray:
Stacey Stemmet

Post by Stacey Stemmet »

I love this book. It is very inspirational. One can learn a few life lessons in it as well. Highly recommend!!!
Sana Nadeem 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sana-nadeem-1.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Sana Nadeem 1 »

Has anyone read Great Expectations and A Tale of two Cities by Charles Dickins? Which of the two is a better book? Please share your opinions on both.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

For me the obvious favourite classic of mine would be Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. Not a surprise to anyone but I didn't enjoy all Charles Dickens books, but in this one I juts love the characters.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I am trying to read the classics again, but as time passes, I get distracted and frustrated because I keep reading the same books over and over again (Shakespeare, mostly). What is one classic book you were not able to put down?
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

My recommend would be The Count of Monte Cristo, I really enjoyed this. I didn't like some others like Dracula or Frankenstein so much.
alexsbookhoard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexsbookhoard.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by alexsbookhoard »

The Odyssey translated by Emily Wilson. This edition makes the text of The Odyssey far more accessible to the contemporary reader while still maintaining the intention, flow, and content that makes this text a classic
Moiza Picanco
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moiza-picanco.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Moiza Picanco »

Killerbean2022 wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 03:34 Thing fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. This is one interesting book that evinces the African origin and how the Missionary's work began in Africa. Check this out you will definitely love it.
Yes!!! This book is amazing. The way he explores the relationships between the characters and the world around them, which is rapidly changing, gripes you from beginning to end. It so well written I could “feel” what they were feeling even though I have nothing in common with those people.

On an unrelated note, Giovanni’s room by James Baldwin is also a great read.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html

Post by Donna Walker »

Anything Charlotte or Emily Bronte, Jane Austin, Charles Dickens, and of course Ernest Hemingway. I'm currently listening to the complete works of C.S Lewis on Audible.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html

Post by Donna Walker »

Ben Madeley wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 06:41 My recommend would be The Count of Monte Cristo, I really enjoyed this. I didn't like some others like Dracula or Frankenstein so much.
Ooooh I love all of those books. I have them on my "to listen to" list on Audible. I'm currently going through the classics in audiobook form for a change.
Rahnamayerooz

Post by Rahnamayerooz »

Another classic book that I highly recommend is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. This beloved novel is a witty and insightful portrayal of the societal norms and expectations of the upper class in 19th century England. Austen's sharp observations on human nature, particularly in regards to love and marriage, continue to resonate with readers today. The dynamic between the spirited Elizabeth Bennet and the wealthy and reserved Mr. Darcy is a timeless example of the power of first impressions and the importance of understanding and empathy. "Pride and Prejudice" is a delightful read that is sure to capture the hearts of readers for generations to come.
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is the first classic book that I read. It was a very inspiriting book in term of writing and characters.
Julez_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Julez_ »

Eragon, the first installment in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, is a captivating and thrilling adventure set in the magical world of Alagaësia. Following the journey of a young farm boy, Eragon, who discovers a mysterious dragon egg, the novel showcases a heartwarming bond between Eragon and his dragon, Saphira. With an engaging plot, vivid storytelling, and dynamic characters, Paolini masterfully crafts a rich, immersive fantasy world that explores themes such as courage, friendship, and sacrifice. This enchanting novel is a must-read for fans of the genre and promises an unforgettable experience as readers embark on an epic journey alongside Eragon and Saphira. :techie-studyingbrown:
Julez_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Julez_ »

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, consisting of The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass, is a mesmerizing and imaginative adventure set in a series of parallel universes. The story follows Lyra Belacqua, a resourceful and courageous young girl, who embarks on an epic journey to uncover the truth about her world and the mysterious substance called Dust. Alongside a diverse cast of characters, including armored bears, witches, and the enigmatic Will Parry, Lyra faces dangerous challenges and uncovers dark secrets. Pullman masterfully crafts a rich and complex narrative that delves into themes of morality, religion, and the nature of consciousness. His vivid world-building and thought-provoking storytelling make this trilogy an unforgettable and enchanting experience for readers of all ages. :tiphat:

Return to “Classic Books”