Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Hyfr Zack »

I would easily recommend Alice in wonderland. I read the book and it was thrilling. I think that anyone who loves reading classic books would like to read this book.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

If we are going to talk Dostoevsky, I think his work The Possessed or Demons is an excellent pieceof literature that examines the turmoil people faced during the 19th century.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

The Forsyte Saga is a lesser known classic, but definitely a must read!
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

A couple years ago I read "The Way We Live Now" by Anthony Trollope and this was so delightful and funny. It would go well with a lesson on British cultural history around the 1880s. The whole book is deliciously satirical.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

Thing fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. This is one interesting book that evinces the African origin and how the Missionary's work began in Africa. Check this out you will definitely love it.
umutoni2014
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by umutoni2014 »

My affection for Emma as a novel lies in its tightly laced plot and signature Austen imagery. My adoration of Emma, the character, lies in my lingering childhood desire to somehow make the most popular girl in school like me. (Despite the fact that such a desire is generally rooted in the secret wish that the popular girl will tumble from atop the throne, leaving a vacancy for none other than yours truly.)
edsahara

Post by edsahara »

A few favorites of mine that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Aspern Papers and Washington Square by Henry James;
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck;
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane;
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe;
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe;
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper;
Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope; and
Puddin Head Wilson by Mark Twain.
Kaylan10+
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Long Winter
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylan10.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Kaylan10+ »

AvidReader76 wrote: 05 Jul 2010, 16:05 Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the book club. I just finished reading "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde for the first time. I was supposed to read it in High School many moons ago but never did or at least I don't recall that I did. This book is extremely Candid, about Life and Differences between Men and Womyn. I learned alot about Life and Love from this book. I do recommend this novel to anyone who loves fiction and classic lit. Now I've started further on my list of classic books to read and am reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Happy Reading Everyone! 7-5-2010
Oh, that sounds fantastic, I will add it to my "TBR" pile!
Kony Kimani

Post by Kony Kimani »

I'm very grateful and happy for this book of the day...
Kony Kimani

Post by Kony Kimani »

I also like book like;cold sassy tree and a tale of two cities.
kit chu lapara

Post by kit chu lapara »

The book genuine Belever is an insane book. About a young lady lives in the Pj's and she has extraordinary objectives set for her self. In any case, when a lifelong companion returns everything is flipped around. She begins to have unmistakable inclinations for himself and before you know their going to class moves. Be that as it may, he wont kiss her and when he does he misses. Then one day he remained at home since he was debilitated so she made treats for himself and went to his condo. She had a key in the event both of them were in a difficult situation. At the point when she entered she saw to young men kissing behind the fish tank and one of them was Jody her experience growing up and adolescent pulverize. Incredible book and awsome finishing read it to figure out what occurs straightaway.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

“The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde. I definitely recommend this book for its admirable depiction of art and beauty.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Bright Ennin

Post by Bright Ennin »

Wow, this book is amazing, it has really made me know more about women and have some perception about them.... I recommend this book every to gain this knowledge..
Thank you
Bright Ennin

Post by Bright Ennin »

It's a nice piece. I will rate it on the scale of 6 out of 10
asif siddiq

Post by asif siddiq »

One of my favorite books for class is 1984 by George Orwell. This classic novel explores themes of dystopian society, power and control that are still relevant today. It's a great way to learn about politics in a narrative form.
Another excellent book for the classroom is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Set in the future, this story examines themes of technology, desensitisation from emotion and societal control as people struggle with their own individual freedom in an oppressive world where pleasure reigns supreme.
Finally, one must not forget The Catcher In The Ryeby J D Salinger. A timeless coming-of-age story that follows Holden Caulfield’s journey from innocence to maturity while facing the risks associated with growing up too quickly can be extremely insightful when discussed among students or asked on tests within the class itself!

Return to “Classic Books”