Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

My favourite book is The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. If you've not heard of him, he's a Victorian writer and if you enjoy reading Sherlock Holmes stories, then you'll probably enjoy this one. It's a mystery/detective plot that at first seems impossible to resolve. Gradually, clues are revealed and through a convoluted series of events the perpetrator is revealed. The Moonstone is the name of a large inherited diamond, the theft of which is the centrepiece of the story. I don't want to say much about the plot as that will spoil your enjoyment.
Kenisola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kenisola »

:| Have you read Anne Rice? Interview with the Vampire is exactly what you describe, and there are sequels too. Very dark and gothic.

There's also the classics, like Dracula (Bram Stoker) and Frankenstein (Mary Shelley) but they may or may not be holiday reading to you!

Ever, to the outside world, is an ordinary 16yr old girl. But she isn't. Ever since her family died in a ccident she somehow survived back into the world with a gift that she thinks she would be better out- a psychic gift and seeing auras. She wants to be normal, and handsome Damen helps her do exactly that..she tries not to show that she like him, but of course she does..when they touch...when he speaks..he's the only thing in the world. but whats more strange is that he doesn't have an aura. Only dead people dont have aura...but if he isnt dead..what is he?

Brotherhood of the Black Dagger by JR Ward.
Yasmine Galenorn - 3 sisters, one is a witch, one is a vampire and one is a death maiden and they are half fae.
Karen Marie Moning - fae series

well my moms reading this one series i think its a Sookie Stackhouse novel their vampire books the HBO show True Blood is based on them

read A LOT So here are some titles that are pretty good. If you have anymore questions or want to know something on a book please feel to contact me
Judy Burr
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Currently Reading: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-burr.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judy Burr »

A wonderful adventure into classic books for me was reading all the books written by Lucy Maud Montgomery. She wrote so many stories I enjoyed them all last winter. The "Anne of Green Gables" is a great and still popular series, around the world, but also, many others can be found. One of my favorite's was "The Story Girl". Such a lovely and graceful writer, her stories, although very sad things happen sometimes along the way, always have a good plot and such intriguing characters. Her descriptions of nature and seasons were delightful. I will always go back to read her stories again someday. Take some time to look up her name in Wikipedia and read about her life and there you will find a list of all her stories in series, stand along books and books of collections of short stories. So many stories, you can imagine her sitting at her desk by the window with an oil lamp and her thinking back to the time of her childhood and growing up, as she must have brought some of those remembrances into her stories.
Judy
Oliver234

Post by Oliver234 »

A great adventure into classic books for me was reading all the books written by Lucy Maud Montgomery. She wrote many stories or book and I really enjoyed it. One of my favorites was "The Story Girl". Such a lovely, interesting and graceful writer, her stories, although very sad things happened sometime along the way, always have a good plot and such intriguing characters
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

The Rivals by Sheridan. It is a very short play. However, the content is absolutely comical. A high born lady will be determined to marry a man of little means, so the hero will pretend to be poor and the ensuing comedy is the plot.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

The Picture of Dorian Grey and The Importance of Being Earnest. Wilde's compositions were all brilliant, but these two particularly stand out to me due to their stark contrast in pitch. In addition, I enjoy Lady Winder Mere's fan
Sara Elkhatroushi

Post by Sara Elkhatroushi »

White fang by Jack London is my favourite!
Anxieee Mishra

Post by Anxieee Mishra »

I have recently re-read The Great Expectations and the Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. My Personal Favourites in classics.
Arya OS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arya-os.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Arya OS »

I believe "the picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde to be a true classic in all sense. The sheer complexity of a human mortal being is layered so well, its certainly a book which will make a reader think, understand, feel. The objectivity with which the portrayal of Dorian Gray is shown is a beauty literally and metaphorically. I would strongly recommend it to any reader in search of an authentic classic.
mark oscar reforsado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by mark oscar reforsado »

I believe "the picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde to be a true classic in all sense. The sheer complexity of a human mortal being is layered so well, its certainly a book which will make a reader think, understand, feel. The objectivity with which the portrayal of Dorian Gray is shown is a beauty literally and metaphorically. I would strongly recommend it to any reader in search of an authentic classic.
Anxieee Mishra

Post by Anxieee Mishra »

Persuasion By Jane Austen. or Great Expectations; easily two of my fav classics.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

I was surprised how many here suggested Jane Austen and Charles Dickens and very little about Ancient Greece and Rome. My project this year is to reread the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I will always recommend Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Also Crime and Punishment was absolutely amazing.
Its_eve6
Currently Reading: rage of angels
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-its-eve6.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Its_eve6 »

Harper lee's classic novel To Kill a Mockingbird tackles themes of moral development, racial injustice, and the fading of innocence in the American South. The story, which is set in the 1930s, centers on the Finch family and daughter Scout Finch in particular as her father, Atticus, stands up for a black man who is charged with raping a white lady. Lee skillfully conveys the intricacies of society, bigotry, and compassion via Scout's perspective. The book is a must-read classic because of its profound messages and strong narrative, which appeal to readers of all ages.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

I'm currently reading "The Time Machine" and loving it. I think the way Wells leaves the characters unnamed helps draw you into the story. By purposely leaving the descriptions vague, he allows you to create your own. You become a part of the story rather than just an observer.

Return to “Classic Books”