Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookLoverAnna
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by BookLoverAnna »

My favourite classical book would be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors and I just love her writing. You can really see the difference in society and the importance of marriage between now and then. It is truly inspiring book full of romance and passion. I couldn't stop reading it till I was finished!
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Siriusly_blank »

I am not a "classics" person but recommending a few classics won't kill me😂

1) Harry Potter series by J.K.

This is my personal favorite. The wizarding world , figment of J.K. 's imagination , captures it's each and every reader "forever".
I grew up reading these bewitching novels, they had been an important part of my life since then.

🤩 It's an enchanting series that teaches you to be loyal , helpful , hardworking, smart, resourceful, ambitious , chivalrous, brave yet humble and kind. This book taught me the importance of friendship and love. It's the best classic book I have ever read...you r never too old to read it. I love it😍

2 ) The adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Reading Sherlock Holmes series invokes the inner detective of ours who is pinning for an adventure.
Sherlock' s smart yet peculiar ways of solving mindboggling mysteries leaves us bewitched.

I strongly recommend these classics to all the book lovers . These are worth your time and attention.
:tiphat:
ntoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntoch.html
Latest Review: Ain’t Easy by Barbara Carter

Post by ntoch »

Supermaxaroni wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:23 I recommend the brothers karamazov by fyodor Dostoyevsky. Super great book, with an interesting and drawn out plot and extremely thoughtful philosophical debates on the existence of God, necessity of religion, the criminal mind, and the psychology of all.
I second this! I absolutely loved this book; I found that it developed each of the characters so thoroughly, which added a great deal of depth to the book. I think that it offered powerful insight into natural human vices, which each brother, and especially the father, exemplifying the ways in which we struggle with doing good in the world.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

One Hundred Years of Solitude
It is hard to pin this story down to its raw materials as there is a vast multitude of interweaving storylines, but Marquez manages to capture an entire century through the lyrical portrayal of the most ordinary and extraordinary moments. These moments form a vibrant photo album that knits together the lives of the Buendias through all their many trials. One of the most distinctive features of this work is how Marquez incorporates the supernatural into the depiction of the natural so that it appears as just that: natural. He once said that he wanted to write like his grandmother used to tell him stories. She would relate the epic
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

I have read Wuthering Heights a few times as well. It definitely holds something new every time I read it!
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

I have been a huge fan of The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne since I first read it in high school. It is such an incredible story of a young single mother faced with adversity by her whole town. At her time, having a child out of marriage was considered an atrocious sin and she was shunned for it. She never let that stop her or her daughter from living their lives. It is a powerful story of overcoming obstacles and being true to yourself!
cluthrie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejucide
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluthrie.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by cluthrie »

BookLoverAnna wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 15:51 My favourite classical book would be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors and I just love her writing. You can really see the difference in society and the importance of marriage between now and then. It is truly inspiring book full of romance and passion. I couldn't stop reading it till I was finished!

I love this book as well and can't recommend it enough. Not only is it hilarious, but it is also fascinating to get a peek at what life was like for young women during the regency period.

A book I read recently that I suggest all Austen fans read is The Other Bennet Sister by Janice Hadlow. It follows Mary's story before, during, and after the events of P&P. A touching, beautiful read!
cluthrie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejucide
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluthrie.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by cluthrie »

I have a passion for classics, so I am happy to participate in this thread! Allow me to endorse some of my favorites:

Tess of the D'Urbervilles is a beautiful tragedy by Thomas Hardy that chronicles the life of Tess, a pure woman. The pastoral scenes of her life working at a dairy are stunning. No one can evoke the English countryside quite like Hardy.

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert is similarly tragic and wonderful. There are a few comic scenes. I like it because it is the first example of a shopoholic in fiction! It was published in nineteenth century France, yet remains as fresh and relevant as if it were published today.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

Anna_TB wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:27 The last classic book I read was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott in preparation for Greta Gerwig's film and I loved it. The characters were so rounded, so well defined, and they cared so much about each other that I felt a little bubble of warmth and happiness in my heart every time I picked up the novel.
Definitely second this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it - the plot(s), characters, everything. And I especially enjoyed Greta Gerwig's adaptation of the book.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Crime and Punishment by Count Fyodor Dostoevsky. The first translation I read was by, I think, Constance Garrett who supposedly was a member of nobility herself, which might be why she translated the novel in the first place. There was a translation I read years later that gave the book a different feel and which I liked better. I like books with moral themes and this book has similarities to many of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories dealing with the effects the conscience has on our behavior. It can also be read with Friedrich Nietzsche in mind regarding the idea of a "super" or "extraordinary" man who, at least in the case of Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment wants to believe that he is in some way above the laws or the limits of the conscience. And, of course, to Carlo Collodi's Pinocchio when Pinocchio takes a hammer to Jiminy Cricket who plays the conscience of Pinocchio (Jiminy comes back to life). Because I am part Italian, I probably felt the need to toot the Italians horn, so to speak and so, I always had an eye for this kind of thing. Go Mr. Collodi! It seems something that one shouldn't have to mention but so many people, not excepting myself, do stupid things. It's hard not to in such a fast paced society, or in sad situations where ethical behavior is practically suicide. I love the character of Porfiry, the detective in Crime and Punishment, who kind of functions as a Jiminy Cricket type of figure to or for Raskolnikov who is feeling badly about himself. If we could or did pay more attention to our internal guides, I think society would be a much better place. Dostoevsky's writing is subtle - he deals with very strong characters most of the time, it seems.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
WriterReader752611
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerreader752611.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by WriterReader752611 »

I enjoy Russian literature in general and especially loved Crime and Punishment! It's too bad that the text length is so intimidating for most readers. I found it to be an intriguing page turner and worth the effort.
R Lefler
Currently Reading: Moby Dick;
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lefler.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Post by R Lefler »

I have just started getting into Moby Dick. I thought for a long time that I'd never like it, because I grew up in the Midwest and the ocean is a foreign, and distant, country to me. I don't know all the nautical terms, I don't know all the types of boats, and I thought the terminology in the book that I wouldn't understand would get in the way of me enjoying it. But so far, it hasn't! I really like the character's passion for sailing and the drama as he meets the characters he's going on this whaling voyage with. You have this sense of a few very different people are going to have to figure out how to work together, and that makes the situation interesting. Even if you're like me and the seas you grew up in were corn fields.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

WriterReader752611 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 11:47 I enjoy Russian literature in general and especially loved Crime and Punishment! It's too bad that the text length is so intimidating for most readers. I found it to be an intriguing page turner and worth the effort.
You're right! I really want to read Crime & Punishment but the sheer size of it makes it so intimidating! I feel the same way about Les Mis - I really want to read it but it's just huge
R Lefler
Currently Reading: Moby Dick;
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lefler.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Post by R Lefler »

HanElizabeth397 wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 12:48
WriterReader752611 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 11:47 I enjoy Russian literature in general and especially loved Crime and Punishment! It's too bad that the text length is so intimidating for most readers. I found it to be an intriguing page turner and worth the effort.
You're right! I really want to read Crime & Punishment but the sheer size of it makes it so intimidating! I feel the same way about Les Mis - I really want to read it but it's just huge
I've read and enjoyed both Les Miserables and Crime & Punishment. I can tell you that a good book will keep you interested, however long it is. And the opposite is also true: a boring book will not keep you reading and wanting to finish it, no matter how short it is. I kind of like longer books because you feel like you're on a complete, very detailed journey. You get to explore and learn more about the world of the book. I usually like to have one long book going while I also read multiple shorter books in the same time frame. Like maybe in one month I will finish Moby Dick, while reading 3 or 4 shorter books as well. I choose shorter, more contemporary works, that are lighter and more fast-paced, to read alongside an older, longer, more "classic lit" novel.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
king biney
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by king biney »

I believe crime and punishment is there for each other. Definitely in my first 10 books ever, I must say that everyone should at least read CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

Return to “Classic Books”