Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eliketta Njogu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Eliketta Njogu »

Crime and punishment is an amazing book i love it
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I enjoyed Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Ironically the book is based on a character that never steps foot into the story.
After I read that, I read most of the other books by Du Maurier, and The Scapegoat was one that stuck out to me.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

To Kill a Movkingbird by Harper Lee is another fabulous read. There’s an audio version out there that makes Scout come to life!
Ikram005

Post by Ikram005 »

Little women is the most amazing timeless classic book
Rica Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rica-singh.html
Latest Review: visiting With An Angel by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Rica Singh »

One of my favorite books is a classic. It's Perfume by Patrick Suskind. I really, really love it, but I guess so many people didn't enjoy or like it the least bit.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I haven't read a lot of them, but I think that Hard Times by Charles Dickens makes for an interesting read.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

Meenahhhh wrote: 29 May 2022, 13:03 I haven't read a lot of them, but I think that Hard Times by Charles Dickens makes for an interesting read.
Hard Times is such an underrated book! I love Dickens and I've read almost all of his major works (I'm just missing Bleak House) but Hard Times really stood out to me. Really interesting commentary there and such a tragically good story.

I definitely recommend anything Dickens. Hard Times, Great Expectations, and A Tale of Two Cities are my favourites of his!
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

The Old Man and The Sea: Earnest Hemingway

I remember reading this book in school and I loved it. I would come home everyday telling my dad about it. The old man catches a huge fish and his hands were ripped to pieces from the rope, while holding on to the fish.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

A catcher in the rye is one the most frustratingly amazing classics, a must read for sure.
Mark john Demetrio

Post by Mark john Demetrio »

To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel by the American author Harper Lee. It was published in 1960 and was instantly successful. In the United States, it is widely read in high schools and middle schools. To Kill a Mockingbird has become a classic of modern American literature, winning the Pulitzer Prize. The plot and characters are loosely based on Lee's observations of her family, her neighbors and an event that occurred near her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama, in 1936, when she was ten.
Arthur Bukosia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-bukosia.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Arthur Bukosia »

The Confessions of St. Augustine is a great classical book rated among theologians and Philosophers. The Book is written by the Middle age great Catholic Philosopher cum Church Father and a great Monk St. Augustine. St. Augustine in this book outlines several themes that are pf great importance to the Chrsitian Faith and dogma. He talks about the state of human existence, the existence of nature in relation to the existence of God, the doctrine of God in the Trinity, the Doctrine of Creation, the Doctrine of Salvation among other doctrines.
Augustine centres his arguments on critical and rational arguments that follows a logical pattern. He uses the scriptures, quote great philosophers of the medieval times and stories confined by himself to drive points of his thoughts home.
It's a great book that can be read by both atheists and people of faith. It's a great piece to read through and think about our very existence, the existence of nature and the intelligence behind the existence.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Sacred Tyrak by Aklin Reed

Post by Isaac Oh »

Romeo and Juliet for me. I loved everything about that book. An emotional ending that would make every reader have chills.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I read "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. This book is basically referring to the stories of 3 brothers that came from the same father, but different moms. The father was always a drunkard and he never took care of his children. Now he is on the brink of dying and called upon all of his children in order to give them the fortunes from their mothers. This book really is a story if deception , adultery, promiscuousity, lack of judgement, and greed.
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

I absolutely loved Mrs Dalloway and To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Amazing but simple plots and refreshing style of writing. Even planning a simple party becomes an event of note. I can't wait to read more of her work.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

My favorite classic books include Les Miserables and Jane Eyre. I also loved Rebecca which was required reading in high school but definitely one of my favorite books I had to read in any English class.

Return to “Classic Books”