To kill a mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bratati Pramanik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Re: To kill a mockingbird

Post by Bratati Pramanik »

I just loved this book. I think it's not easy to write from a child's perspective. But the racism is shown here from a child's perspective. You will love this book too.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

To Kill A Mockingbird was the first classic I ever read, and I am grateful for that. I loved the book and couldn't wait to read more classics. Am currently reading The Great Gatsby.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Sombita Ghosh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sombita Ghosh »

Beautifully written, capturing the racial discrimination, gender inequality and American society during that time, formatted in a coming of age novel. This is a must read for every teenager and young adults to understand social hierarchy in a new light
Mountainbreeze23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountainbreeze23.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mountainbreeze23 »

There's so much in this book. Scout and Jem learn that life can be complicated, that human beings are often cruel to others for no logical reason and that courage and integrity are very important.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

***** SPOILERS *****

One of the greatest tributes to this book has been the coining of the literary device term The Hey Boo Moment as a reference in a novel to a significant internal twist or a huge reveal.

I wonder how many people actually appreciate how masterfully this scene was set up by Harper Lee. At the beginning of the book we are vicariously caught up in the children's lives and their obsession with making Boo "come out". As the story progresses we become caught up in the trial of Tom Robinson and the shock of his eventual death. Then the children are set upon and almost murdered. A tremendous amount of text has elapsed and many events have occurred since we last heard any reference to Boo Radley, and then WHAM! there he is. A lot of years have passed since I first read this book, but I remember clearly when I reached the moment when Scout determines who the man in the corner is and says simply, "Hey, Boo." It was the greatest literary punch to the gut I have ever experienced from that day to this. I literally had to put the book down and walk around the room a few times to collect myself before I could pick it up again. That kind of writing slips the constraints of literature and art and approaches the realm of magic. I harbor the strong belief that it was this scene which tipped the scales in Lee's favor to win her the Pulitzer Prize.

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Easily one of the best Classics out there
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

It's no surprise that I enjoyed the book, but it's not one of my favourites. Despite the fact that I appreciated the plot's message, particularly the idea that innocence is shattered by evil, the 'mockingbird' comes to represent the idea of innocence. To kill a mockingbird is thus to destroy innocence."
CassPaker1

Post by CassPaker1 »

I read it in high school and despised it but it did have a good theme. I would like to read it again.
beckybrandon
Currently Reading: Summer of the Second Coming
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by beckybrandon »

I absolutely loved this book. Also the character boo radley is quiet intriguing. He's quiet relatable for me.
Noblefausty101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noblefausty101.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Noblefausty101 »

My teacher actually talked about the book back then in school, though I didn't get to read the book.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

It would be better to but a copy of your own book. Its a great book and am sure you will read it more than once, prejudice and racism. Written in the 30s but still relevant in the world today
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

It would be better to but a copy of your own book. Its a great book and am sure you will read it more than once, prejudice and racism. Written in the 30s but still relevant in the world today
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

Such an awesome book. When I picked up the book to read, I had no idea what I'd be going into. I didn't bother reading the blurb because even that would be a spoiler to me. It was a classic so I expected it to be great. But boy, was I blown away. It definitely exceeded my imagination. The scene of the rabid dog was one of my most memorable scenes on a page.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

"When mine are grown I'll be an old man if I'm still around, but right now I am- if they don't trust me they won't trust anybody."
Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Most of my favourite quotes are from this book!! A precious, precious book :)
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

I'm yet to read this book again. I didn't like it as a child. I hope it will make sense now.

Return to “Classic Books”