To kill a mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Frisca
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Faith
Currently Reading: Quiet Mind Epic Life
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: To kill a mockingbird

Post by Frisca »

This book was my favorite book because, I felt if i put it down, I'd offend someone. That is how much realism the author used to write a masterpiece to best describe how difficult it was for anyone. Then to write it as if it's child's perspective was just genius. The topic is an extremely sensitive subject, it was very bold of them to have written the best history book I ever carried with me. Every character was brought to life. I am just grateful, I wasn't able to see what people had to endure in those days.
James S 02
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by James S 02 »

I believe this book is view changing and a powerful reminder of how great literature is. Growing up with Tritanopia and dyslexia was terrible for my reading abilities, but I loved it so much that I read to get better and achieve fulfillment with the rich text I read.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

KirstyJ1994 wrote: 16 Apr 2014, 17:44 I had to read it for GCSE and instantly thought it was going to be rubbish but I was so wrong. I really enjoyed it and read it loads of times. My mum also read it and it is now her favourite book.
Reading things for school truly does suck the joy out of it, but I'm glad you enjoyed! It's one of the first 'classics' that I read and I loved it.
Emily Boxing
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Boxing »

I loved reading To Kill A Mockingbird and thought the book was a really good read.
Gio89belf

Post by Gio89belf »

This is a very good book for all ages to read.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

This book has inspired many people to study the law. Atticus Finch is quite the role model for young idealistic attorneys. Thanks!
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I've tried reading this book many times, but I can't seem to get past the 1st page. I don't know why.
ellie_rue
Currently Reading: Gilead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-rue.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by ellie_rue »

I recently read this book and actually find that it's a little hypocritical. First of all, it's written by a well-off white woman (which there is nothing wrong with, just context), who seems to use the struggles of the African American people of the town to glorify a white man's actions. How Atticus Finch treats Tom Robinson is how all humans should be treated, yet Atticus is a hero for it. While a great novel, I think using it to teach high-school students is a dated idea.
Mapeskate9

Post by Mapeskate9 »

Great book! The message is so powerful and so ahead of its time. However, I did feel as though the build up to the climax of the story was extremely long.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

My sister had to study this book in school. I saw her with the book and began reading it out of curiosity. I can safely say I enjoyed it more than she did!
I would say that knowing the historical context of the setting would help with understanding the story better.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I saw this book turned into a play a few years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it! So well written and what a wonderful story.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

This was great movie and a even better book. One of all time favorites.
vinerel

Post by vinerel »

To Kill a Mockingbird will forever remain one of my top favorite books I've ever read. The motifs and themes surrounding racism and innocence remain relevant today and educate the reader while providing them with a interesting plot line and overall exciting book.This is a must read!
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Earle Remington »

It really upsets me that this book is banned some places.
Che Sparrowbosa
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-che-sparrowbosa.html
Latest Review: Provoked To Anger by Cheray Gardison

Post by Che Sparrowbosa »

I read this book in high school in my junior year and everyone knows what a great classic this is I don't need to say. However especially in these times I think this is even more relevant. It never did sit right with me how Jeremy Atticus (“Jem”) never got to be awake that night to see Boo Radley though. I believed he worked hard for that moment and it wasn't fair how it was taken away.

Return to “Classic Books”