The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tea Time
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

Post by Tea Time »

As an introduction to Dickens, "The Pickwick Papers" is the perfect book to begin. Not only was it the first book Dickens wrote, but it is so quotable and includes all the Dickens-y ingredients: Vivid characters with peculiar dialects, Villains, Flawed heroes, Poverty, Comfort, Adventure, Mystery.
Stylistically, too, it is typical of Dickens' in all his work: written with extensive vocabulary, with paragraphs of description, with parenthetical observations (often cutting and witty) by the narrator, and satire.

The over-arching story is not really important to the book (though it HAS a plot), but "The Pickwick Papers" stands just as well if considered as character-sketches in random scenarios. A reason for it being primarily ridiculous episodes, rather than a coherent narrative, is the fact that Dickens wrote it in increments to be published weekly, not in one manuscript to be published as a whole.
It takes a while to read, like most Dickens, for not only was he an author with lively ideas-- ideas the deserved time and space, and lots of it -- but he was also paid by how many words he wrote (so one understands why he didn't spare any description).
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I read this book twice. The first time I didn't particularly like it, though I didn't think it was bad either, but the second time I loved it. I can't explain why it didn't connect with me the first time.

In this first novel you find all of the classic ingredients Dickens would bring to his future novels: the humor, the character development and description, the poignancy and, like Shakespeare, Dickens was able to tap into the threads of human nature and behavior and effortlessly present them in his stories.

I don't know that this novel necessarily needs to be an introduction to Dickens, though as you have noted it was his first book. It certainly was not the first Dickens novel I had read. I think you can read it at any time and enjoy it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

This was not one of my favorite Dickens books. I found the characters to be well defined and the story to be one of interest, but for some reason I just did not consider it one of his best writings.
Onwuesi Promise
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Onwuesi Promise »

This book is a charming and humorous exploration of 19th-century English life, brimming with memorable characters and witty satire. Its episodic structure and lively adventures make for an entertaining and delightful read. I hope everyone finds it interesting like me.

Return to “Classic Books”