How do you define a classic?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Re: How do you define a classic?

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

Classic is a quality thing that attracts quality.
litcat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litcat.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by litcat »

I saw this forum earlier but didn't think I could contribute, despite "classics" being one of my favourite genres of literature, until I saw another thread about what contemporary books we think will become classics in the future. I saw good authors put forward but also people suggesting series like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games because of the sheer volume of people who love these series now.

This is what I said about that:
"I've seen mentions of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games and while I don't dispute that these series have touched many many hearts and have been important pieces of literature in the times we live in, for some reason perhaps the literary elitist in me, has associated classic literature with literary fiction rather than YA genre fiction. So while I understand the sentiment, these don't fit into my understanding of what future generations will look back on and perceive as groundbreaking literature of the early 21st century."

I'm wondering if other people have thoughts on this matter? I seem to have unconsciously classified classics in my head to be "serious" literary fiction, something groundbreaking, or pioneering, or exceedingly high quality from a literary elitist perspective. Of course there are classics that fit into genre fiction e.g. dystopian classics for one, like Brave New World by Aldous Huxley or 1984 by George Orwell. But I think these were extremely high quality, groundbreaking fiction that said something deeper about society and was therefore more pervasive on the literary landscape. Some may argue Harry Potter was groundbreaking in the fantasy genre which I wouldn't disagree with - but in my opinion it lacks that deeper level that I think qualifies a classic "classic".
Ojochide33
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ojochide33 »

I would say classic is value , or being a high quality or having standards
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

In my opinion, genre defines a classic. Literary classics usually date back to the early 1900s and even earlier. The Lord of the Rings is a fantasy masterpiece, despite the fact that the trilogy wasn't released until the middle of the 1950s.
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Post by revathy sw »

I believe there are several criteria that can make a book a classic:

1) Timelessness: A book can become a classic because it is timeless and appeals to readers of all nations. Shakespeare is an excellent example of this. His plays continue to remain popular because his characters, even when they are kings or great generals, are still relatable and sympathetic. His stories of love, passion, hatred and intrigues play out repeatedly in real lives even today. J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series also falls in this category. Put simply, magnificent, yet somehow still relatable, characters and stories make a good classic.

2) Evocation of the past: I think nostalgia and curiosity are also driving factors in what makes a book a classic. Some books represent the age, customs, values and culture of the time and place in which they were written so well, that they can transport readers to a completely different world. So, these books satisfy our nostalgia and curiosity about a past that we never got to witness. Jane Austen's novels, apart from having nice plots and characters, tell us a lot about the unique customs that existed in Georgian society.

3) Inventiveness. Some books like those of H G Wells', were amazingly innovative in their storylines and concepts. Edgar Allan Poe is another example of a really innovative writer. Even though many of the concepts introduced by them may seem dated to us now, they were still startlingly ahead of their time when they wrote their great works. That kind of genius is mind-boggling and attention catching. I think the sheer scale of their creativity and imagination are why both these authors will continue to remain popular for centuries to come.

4) Re-readability: Some books are so vast in the scale of their conceptualization, characterization, stories, emotions, themes and symbols, that even if you read them a hundred times, you might still be startled by things you never noticed before. Psychologically-complex novels like Crime and Punishment fall into this category.

These are some of the criteria that I could think of for why some books continue to appeal to countless readers the way they do.
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:
João Ramos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

The best definition of classic is "books that surpass the centuries." I
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

Books that has stood the test of time with expression of life ,truth and beauty with a gripping , high authentic and noteworthy story. I believe it deserved to be a classic.
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I could see many different definitions for what makes a book a “classic”. To me, a book is classic when it has held up over long periods of time in the sense that it either continues to hold a sense of cultural value, provides insight into a particular time period, or for some other reason has remained impactful through more than just the original generation it was intended for.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Jaime Lync wrote: 08 May 2017, 15:04 I feel that the Classics refer to a list of books that were written a set time ago and are still memorable to date. But is that really what a classic is? How old does a book have to be to be considered a classic? Is a book written in the 1980's not a classic whereas one written in the 1970s is one? Will great books of modern time be considered classics after 20-30 years?
I very much agree to your definition.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

This is a really interesting question and I wish I had a good answer for it! I would say that age itself doesn't make a classic. In my opinion, a classic should be a book that has a major impact on the society of the time AND is timeless enough to speak to future generations.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

a great book, one written so well and covers issues of the past and present that can also be applied in the future. A book that, for lack of better words, can only be described as priceless. Its a treasure
Lily Walker 1
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-walker-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Lily Walker 1 »

I think that a classic is a book that holds up to the test of time. It speaks of the human experience - something that people of any generation can relate to. It’s not just a story but a commentary that has some sort of impact on not only individuals but society. I’m a big believer in the modern classic as well, it’s not all about age.
Genny Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genny-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Genny Ugochukwu »

A classic is like a timeless melody, resonating through the corridors of history, its notes echoing across generations. It's a masterpiece of creativity, standing firm amidst the ever-changing tides of culture, inviting readers, viewers, or listeners to journey through its rich tapestry of ideas and emotions. A classic captivates the soul, weaving a spell that transcends time, leaving an indelible mark on the human experience.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

my opinion, a classic should be a book that has a major impact on the society of the time AND is timeless enough to speak to future generations. I feel like we probably need to give a book at least 10 years (maybe 20) before we can determine what kind of longevity it'll have. I definitely think that many of our modern great books definitely have the potential to be considered classics eventually.

Return to “Classic Books”