How do you define a classic?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bush baby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How do you define a classic?

Post by Bush baby »

A classic expresses artistic quality. It is an expression of life, truth, and beauty. I feel this has been left out in the equasion by people in their replies. A classic must be of high quality, at least for the time in which it was written in. While different styles will come and go, it can be appreciated for its construction and literary art. It may not be a bestseller today because of dated language, and pacing, but can learn from it and be inspired by its prose.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

It's an interesting question. For me, for a novel to be a classic it has to be literary to some significant degree and be considered part of some "canon" that represents the literature of a certain era, literary movement, nation or culture, or genre. So, Pride and Prejudice is a classic because of its literary merits and because it is an example of British Romanticism. The Yacoubian Building is a classic because of its literary merits and because it the essential novel of modern Egypt. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a classic of 20th century science fiction.

More plot-driven genre fiction that uses language in a more functional way to serve the plot -- I would not consider those novels to be potential classics. I also think it takes the passage of time to judge what a period's classics are. You have to remove Dickens' work from the basic reality that he wrote them while being paid by the word or the line to begin to see their potential for greatness.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
StarsAtNight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by StarsAtNight »

Personally, I think it involves two elements:
Age and popularity.

Because we tend to think classic is a cohort that separates 'old book A' from 'classic book' B, it has to do with popularity.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I think a true classic stands the test of time and appeals to people across all ages and time.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

As mentioned by some others here, a classic work is one that is still relevant at its essence years or decades later.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

Something that was written a long time ago, but people still enjoy reading it in the present time.
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

In my humble opinion, a classic is one that contains timeless wisdom. Although it might have stirred up controversy, it was received with respect, counted as valuable to society in some way and was rarely opposed or struck down. It is one that has stood the test of time, without losing appeal. It contains one or more of: original thoughts, spiritual themes, ideas ahead of their times, morals, lessons, etc. that were hitherto unknown and served to educate humanity in some way or the other after becoming public. It is the creation of a genius or a brilliant thinker. It is written in the best style and form that prevailed at the time of writing, perfected and freed from errors of every kind. There is something in a classic that impacts everyone on earth, regardless of country, race, language, age, sex, culture and so on. Hence most classics are universal. A classic is usually older than us. Finally, classics are milestones in literary history that have never been excelled - they have become de facto standards in the literary world for future generations to follow.

What do you think? Please feel welcome to add points that I may have missed!
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
reignstar2149
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by reignstar2149 »

raikyuu wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 22:51 If one would attempt to define "classic" outside of academic institutions, I think Jorge Sette does a good job in giving an idea on what a "classic" is from his "What do Classic Novels Have in Common?".
Indubitably.
He touched on the most valid common traits of classic novels:
Language
Originality
Freshness
Seminal
Longetivity
Eternal truths & grand themes
Identity

Ultimately, books that stand the test of time.
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

I think "Identity" is a point I missed out. Could you elaborate on it a bit? Thanks, Raju
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

The Italian writer Italo Calvino gave the most suitable definition of classic that I have ever heard:" A classic is a book that has always something to say". I believe that the common feature of all classic is that they address a topic that can be reinterpreted and adapted to different ages and people
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I think a book might be considdred a classic if it was well-received, it has already been read by a very big njmber of pwopls and has countless interperetations and reviews made about it.
happygirl37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happygirl37.html
Latest Review: Experiencia de vida by Clara limonta

Post by happygirl37 »

I think it's not so much about the year the book was written, but more so about the fact that it is some kind of breakthrough, either because the characters are "modern" for the time the story is set in or because the plot falls around a specific action. I think what really makes a classic is the fact that it changes peoples views and lives and becomes unforgettable.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think you can define a book was a classic book if they are written more than 100 years ago or around it.
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

Precisely, "classic" as a word or a name comes from another name for Ancient history, Ancient Greek and Roman Empire and it's related to that because in this period the literature as we know it today was first being developed and people started studying literature as an art and a discipline (not that things weren't written before that, but they weren't primarily related to literature or art in general). Ancient Greek and Roman literature was a primary example and a role model for later writings. Other than classics, books are also reffered to as canons, but it has the same problems in defining and creating the list of classic books. A huge problem is the weight and value a book has not only over time, but also space. By what standards should books be named classics and why is it that most books considered classics belong to Europe or North America vs. other parts of the world? That is a western canon vs. nonwestern canon issue that the literary criticism and philology need to address.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Any book which becomes famous and read by most of the people during its time has a potential of becoming a classic at a later time.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Classic Books”