Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Post by Harmony Hills »

This is my favorite series, and i looked at the topics in this forum and i did not found one with Anne.

This is a coming of age series about a kid named Anne and her peculiar attitude. She's very bright and talkativr and with "kindred spirit".

I like Anne and i strive to be like her.

Anybody there who likes this series as well? :D
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Hi, yes, I read several of them to my daughter a while back. I find them charming and touching - and they make me yearn for a more innocent time. Though of course some things have changed since then - weird how no one had a problem with the teacher dating the 16-year-old student!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>

Post by Harmony Hills »

Yes. It makes you want to live in the past and experience it yourself. :) Things really have changed and with the social media stirring things up, everything's an issue. I do hope kids would get to know Anne Shirley. Thank you for commenting! :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

I love the Anne series, but I confess I haven't read them all. Lol. I've seen all three movies along with some of the episodes of Tales of Avonlea I believe it's called. There's also a new series about Anne on Netflix called Anne With An "E" that I'm planning to watch.

Have you read any of L.M. Montgomery's other works like Emily of New Moon, or her short story collections?

Also, have you been to Prince Edward Island in Canada where the author lived? My family went there when I was a teenager and the place was so beautiful, just like the movies. I want to go again and take my husband this time.

How did you discover the Anne books?
Harmony Hills

Post by Harmony Hills »

ReadingRebecca wrote:I love the Anne series, but I confess I haven't read them all. Lol. I've seen all three movies along with some of the episodes of Tales of Avonlea I believe it's called. There's also a new series about Anne on Netflix called Anne With An "E" that I'm planning to watch.

Have you read any of L.M. Montgomery's other works like Emily of New Moon, or her short story collections?

Also, have you been to Prince Edward Island in Canada where the author lived? My family went there when I was a teenager and the place was so beautiful, just like the movies. I want to go again and take my husband this time.

Hi ReadingRebecca! Glad you love it too. I plan on watching the movies, but there's so many adaptations i don't know what to watch! Haha. And yes, L.M. Montgomery's stories have been on my e-book folder but have not read them YET. I'm a fan of hers and it's my goal to read her stories.

I haven't been on Prince Edward Island (i'm from the Philippines :( and it's too far and i'm just 20) but i wanted to go there. :)

My older sister was the one who introduced me to Anne Shirley, and she's my reading buddy. I owe her 99% of the books i know and loved :) How about you?
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Hi all!

I've recently discovered the series, and am halfway through the second book. I love the imagery, as well as what's already been said about simpler times and Anne's heart.

Just a heads up, the Netflix "Anne with an 'E'" was really disapointing. I thought they made it too mature and modern for Montgomery's original vision. It's well made and the actors are great, but there were some things that just soured my taste for it. Too bad! But everyone's entitled to their own interpretation of a classic.
Harmony Hills

Post by Harmony Hills »

Angela Stripes wrote:Hi all!

I've recently discovered the series, and am halfway through the second book. I love the imagery, as well as what's already been said about simpler times and Anne's heart.

Just a heads up, the Netflix "Anne with an 'E'" was really disapointing. I thought they made it too mature and modern for Montgomery's original vision. It's well made and the actors are great, but there were some things that just soured my taste for it. Too bad! But everyone's entitled to their own interpretation of a classic.
Glad you're reading it Angela. I love the imagery as well! And yes, i've read reviews about the Netflix's adaptation of Anne and it's not that good. It really is disappointing. :/ Anyways, let's just keep on waiting for more adaptations to come. :)
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html

Post by Angela Stripes »

Harmony Hills wrote: Glad you're reading it Angela. I love the imagery as well! And yes, i've read reviews about the Netflix's adaptation of Anne and it's not that good. It really is disappointing. :/ Anyways, let's just keep on waiting for more adaptations to come. :)
Yes! :D They're sure to make more.
panaginip
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by panaginip »

I read this as a child and I still am reading it when I have the time! It will always be my all-time favorite classics series. I just love her personality. And I always get "kilig" with her and Gilbert Blythe!
Harmony Hills

Post by Harmony Hills »

panaginip wrote:I read this as a child and I still am reading it when I have the time! It will always be my all-time favorite classics series. I just love her personality. And I always get "kilig" with her and Gilbert Blythe!
Hi Kabayan! Me too! I still have that "kilig" when reading the romantic moments of those two. (there's no English term with much intensity!) My sister introduced it to me. Who did to you?
Sebasrodalba
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sebasrodalba »

I read this as a child and I still am reading it when I have the time! It will always be my all-time favorite classics series. I just love her personality. And I always get "kilig" with her and Gilbert Blythe
kuronekonya
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by kuronekonya »

Harmony Hills wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 08:49 Yes. It makes you want to live in the past and experience it yourself. :) Things really have changed and with the social media stirring things up, everything's an issue. I do hope kids would get to know Anne Shirley. Thank you for commenting! :)
I have the exact opposite feeling! I found it quite amusing that in one of the books in the series, Rainbow Valley, which features Anne's children and the children of the new minister, that there was so much drama over tiny insignificant things. Like not wearing stockings to church! Or singing a lively song in a graveyard. Or accidentally cleaning the house on a Sunday. Another book in the series featured an atheist family, and being an atheist I found the family's portrayal rather interesting. It made me more grateful that I live in the modern era, where my lack of religion and my choice of dress or private activity would not be under constant scrutiny. At the very least when it comes to social media, I put that selfie up there of my own volition!
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz »

I read all of these books in middle school and I remember speaking like Anne all summer. Anne was such a lovely character and I wanted to be like her growing up. This is my favorite classic still today.
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz »

ReadingRebecca wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 20:19 I love the Anne series, but I confess I haven't read them all. Lol. I've seen all three movies along with some of the episodes of Tales of Avonlea I believe it's called. There's also a new series about Anne on Netflix called Anne With An "E" that I'm planning to watch.

I watched the Anne with an E season 1. Not as good as the 1985's movie, but was still very enjoyable.
AnneBlythe101
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by AnneBlythe101 »

Anne of Green Gables is the first ever classic book I have read and since then it became my all time favorite classic book. I make it a point to read it at least once a year.

I am so happy that fellow Filipinos have read this book and loved it too. I wish that there would be more people in my school who would be interested in reading this book.

Return to “Classic Books”